List of convertibles good for a newborn

Pixels

I've done some searching, and it looks like convertibles that are a good choice to use from birth with an average newborn are:
Radian
Evenflo Triumph Advance
TrueFit
MyRide
Coccoro

Convertibles not good for the average newborn are:
Britax (Marathon, Decathlon, Boulevard, etc)
Recaro

Can anybody verify this info please. And also if you can add to either list, please chime in. I searched but didn't find this info all in one place.

ADS

Evolily

the AOE and AIO don't fit newborns very well at all, or so I've been told. the Scenera is suppose to fit newborns relatively well.

Maedze

I think mostly of the Dorel seats are not good from birth, save the Scenera.

You could also put the Titan on the 'good from birth' list (not good for much else, but hey!)

Pixels

Oh, and are there any infant-only seats that don't fit a newborn well? I know there are some that generally don't fit vehicles well. *cough*Evenflo*cough*

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The Scenera did not quite fit Ilana at 8#. The Titan works well. Unless there is a difference in straps between the RN 65 and the 80s, those only work w/ all the infant padding. I think once they lengthened the straps, didn't they do that, it messed up how a nb fits in it. I'll have to look at my pics to see if I have anything else good. I'm thinking the Zeus probably has low enough slots.

Pixels

The Scenera did not quite fit Ilana at 8#. The Titan works well. Unless there is a difference in straps between the RN 65 and the 80s, those only work w/ all the infant padding. I think once they lengthened the straps, didn't they do that, it messed up how a nb fits in it.

I noticed that with my own child, at 4 months whether she fit the Radian65 was questionable. It was a question of getting the harness tight enough.

Momof4Girls

Radian
Evenflo Triumph Advance
TrueFit
MyRide
Coccoro
Maxi Cosi Priori

Recaro

I added the MCP...low harness slots, snug harness tension, works well for newbies, at least IME! I've put one of my newbies in it, and one of someone else's, and both looked great in it.

Raechel

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, but does she have the family torso? :whistle:

I think your newborns and my newborns don't apply to this list (for opposite reasons! My last could have used a Marathon from birth. ;) )

mommaon112903

My neice used both the ETA and Scenera from birth at less than 8lbs and 19" long.

S is using the second harness slots in the Scenera now and has moved up the "track" in the ETA as well, she is 9ishlbs and 23" now.

what do you think of the crotch straps on the my ride for newborns, I find there is a gap even with my cloth diapered 11 month old in it.. its not terrible but there is a good gap, maybe use it with a rolled blanket between the crotch and crotch buckle?

NannyMom

what do you think of the crotch straps on the my ride for newborns, I find there is a gap even with my cloth diapered 11 month old in it.. its not terrible but there is a good gap, maybe use it with a rolled blanket between the crotch and crotch buckle?

I'd roll a small towel or cloth diaper/ burp cloth.

NannyMom

I have to mention that my 8 pound baby does not fit the radian.

Yeah, but does she have the family torso? :whistle:

I think your newborns and my newborns don't apply to this list (for opposite reasons! My last could have used a Marathon from birth. ;) )

I don't think BabyS would have fit the Radian as a newborn either. She was at least 1 month old when we got it, and she barely fit. The harness *just* got tight enough, and she was right at the bottom slot.

However, 2 months later she was at the 2nd from bottom slots :whistle:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Radian
Evenflo Triumph Advance
TrueFit
MyRide
Coccoro
Maxi Cosi Priori
Evenflo Symphony
Graco Comfort Sport
Evenflo Tribute
Combi Zeus Turn

Recaro
Orbit Toddler
Cosco 3 in 1/ Alpha Omega Elite/ Deluxe Convertible

And just for the record, I don't think my newborns should be a guide either. My kids didn't fit into Britax seats until they were over 6 months.

U

Unregistered

Just wondering why the Britax aren't good for newborns? What about them? Just looking for more info.

I know someone who used the Marathon from birth for her little one and it worked fine.

Evolily

Just wondering why the Britax aren't good for newborns? What about them? Just looking for more info.

I know someone who used the Marathon from birth for her little one and it worked fine.

The bottom slots are too tall to reasonably accommodate for newborns by the rear-facing rules (harness at or below the shoulders).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC