Tried the Chaperone in my MDX today...

JerseyGirl'sMama

and it only fits in the outboard positions (2nd row, I didn't try either 3rd row position) not the center. The overhang of the base in the center is around 35% - at least by my estimate - and outboard it was a close call around 20%.

It was a decent seat, but honestly, I wasn't all that impressed. It is still pretty large, fairly heavy, and I still managed to find other things to nit-pik. I suppose it doesn't help my cause either, that DH said no to the cowmooflauge.

ADS

pastrygirl

My car does not have short seats, and I had an overhang problem, too (that I posted about here). It's OK now, but I don't love it. If my husband wasn't so gung-ho about Britax, I'd probably return it and get the SR32...

JerseyGirl'sMama

Does the MDX have short seats? Or will it have that kind of problem in most vehicles?

I don't think they are short. Here is a pic (not my actual vehicle, but same year and model) where you can see how the middle seat back sits more forward than the two outboard positions.

ETA: I measured the depth of the two positions. Center is roughly 16.5" and outboard is 19"
View attachment 4610

Have you tried a KeyFit?:love:

I haven't in the center, but I know the Keyfit will fit outboard either side of J's Signo. That is huge because the Signo is installed center with the LA's and it sits off center, so one side (the drivers side) is way too narrow for most anything. I showed DH the Keyfit yesterday and how much shorter and narrow the base is, and that I think it would fit great. I can't see it having any overhang.

momof3monkeys

i did so loooove my keyfit.

they had just come out with the 30 when i got my 22 i spoke to their rep at the babies r us and the baby show in novi while i was preggers and they said "no bashing please lol" that the only diff between the two seats were this ring on the inside, and that he thought in his professional opinion " and no i didnt exactly no what that meant lol" tech? salesman? company rep? whatever that the keyfit 22 could be safely used up to 30 lbs they just couldnt say that without the "ring" of course i wasnt taking any chances and he came out at 21.5 lbs.

WhatAboutPuppy

I :love: the key fit... Would you leave DD in the center and put the skinny KF outboard in the skinny spot or would the KF go center and DD outboard?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
From your pic, your MDX is obviously 2nd generation? (07+)

If another babe is in my future, I think I would get the Chaperone, so glad to know that it worked outboard. I'd be putting mine driver outboard. Can you compare how much room the Chaperone took RF to any other RF seats? (SS1, TF or MA by any chance?)

JerseyGirl'sMama

I :love: the key fit... Would you leave DD in the center and put the skinny KF outboard in the skinny spot or would the KF go center and DD outboard?

With DD's Signo RFing in the center with LATCH, the Keyfit will fit outboard behind the drivers side, but the bucket isn't as easy to get in and out, since you have to puzzle it a little. It will work, and leave the outboard passenger position open, which would give me plenty of room to nurse the LO.

I could put DD RF outboard passenger side, and the Keyfit in the middle, but that won't leave me much room to sit and nurse outboard driver side.

I had wanted to go the convertible route from the beginning, but DH wants a bucket, and the True Fit Premiere colors aren't my taste. So, I can use my Companion or DH said I can get a Keyfit.

From your pic, your MDX is obviously 2nd generation? (07+)

If another babe is in my future, I think I would get the Chaperone, so glad to know that it worked outboard. I'd be putting mine driver outboard. Can you compare how much room the Chaperone took RF to any other RF seats? (SS1, TF or MA by any chance?)

Yep, it's an '07. The Chaperone fits fine outboard either side, but probably better passenger. DH is not super tall, but doesn't like to sit too upright, so if the Chaperone was on the driver side, he would have to move his seat slightly forward, even with the handle being up. I haven't tried to TF, MA, or SS1 in my vehicle, but compared to DD's Signo, (which is at an estimated 40 degrees to avoid head slump while sleeping) it took up only slightly less room front to back. Obviously the base of the Chaperone is much longer than the Signo, but the upper backside touches the seat.

pastrygirl

Not sure if this helps, but I installed the SR32 behind my seat a few weeks ago, and didn't have to move my seat at all AND had at least an inch of room between the SR32 and my seat. With the Chaperone, I had to move my seat up a lot and it was still braced/wedged, a little too much. I had trouble getting it out of the base because of it.

(I have an '09 Forester, which has a very roomy backseat compared to earlier Subarus.)

ETA: I am still not crazy about the Chaperone, but my husband really wants to keep it. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC