Is taking a 3 day tech certification class an inherently bad idea?

Evolily

Is taking a 3 day tech certification class an inherently bad idea? I like it because it's close to me, and it's easier to say I can't work 2 days than 3 or 4 days. All of the other courses I've seen would require me to get a hotel room or stay with friends- this one I can easily drive to. The hours are like 7 a.m. :eek: to 5 p.m, thursday-saturday.

Would you do it? Am I going to regret it if I do it?

ADS

NannyMom

I would have gladly done it in 3 days instead of 4. But after being here for a couple months, the hardest part of the course was the 1st day.... remembering the names of the different latch plates and retractors.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I don't think so! I did it (well the class was 3 days, and the 4th day was a clinic) and it was great. I don't think I would have wanted to sit there for another day or two.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I personally found it a waste of my time. I didn't do one clinic after my certification...and I would have. We just don't have them. They do them at the fire dept, by the fire dept. So I didn't keep my certification up. :(

Evolily

I don't think so! I did it (well the class was 3 days, and the 4th day was a clinic) and it was great. I don't think I would have wanted to sit there for another day or two.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

I personally found it a waste of my time. I didn't do one clinic after my certification...and I would have. We just don't have them. They do them at the fire dept, by the fire dept. So I didn't keep my certification up. :(

So, because it's 3 days, they probably aren't doing a clinic with the class?

My concern is it being condensed together- that it will be too much info to learn to quickly since most classes are 4-5 days, and this one is only 3.

NannyMom

It's probably shorter because because the days are longer. Mine was 9 or 9:30- 5:00 for 4 days. And the 2nd half of the 4th day was clinic.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I don't think so. I just finished mine - Sat and Sun 8am-6pm, Friday 3-9PM and 6hr clinic Saturday. It was a lot of info and I was wiped the first 2 days. It was the first time they had taught it this way (it had been 5 afternoon/eve, then the sat clinic in the past) and the instructors were very happy with how it went and plan to continue teaching it this way.

BW1426

I think it's great for someone that is already well versed. If you were clueless, I'd likely feel differently.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Our classes are regularly 3 days with 1-2 checkup events thrown in for fun. ;) I think it's too much for the average person, but I'm not the lead instructor scheduling the classes.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
No, we had the clinic that's required to be certified. The fire dept does the checks in this area, so I was never invited to participate. And if there were other checks, I was unaware of them. Granted, after the first 6mo of me emailing the main guy for our area (who happened to be with the fire dept) and getting no where, I quit even checking. It's just not a priority in this area apparently. :( I even went to our local newspaper about there being someone certified in our rinky dink down, and they never did any kind of report.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
But, fwiw, our class was a 3 day class. I was one of about 2 people who were there voluntarily. Everybody else was there because their employer made them go. So you can see how enthusiastic they were to be there. :(

Maedze

FYI, I think you're supposed to change your status if your certification has lapsed ;)

The OP wasn't asking if the class was worth her time, but whether or not a 3 day class was inherently a bad idea compared to the traditional four day class.

My answer is, it's you. You'll be fine. If you were a clueless drooling noob, my answer would be different, but, you're not.

NVMBR02

But, fwiw, our class was a 3 day class. I was one of about 2 people who were there voluntarily. Everybody else was there because their employer made them go. So you can see how enthusiastic they were to be there. :(

I was also the only one (out of 15 people) that was there voluntarily. I am still glad I took the class though. :shrug-shoulders:

OP, I think I would have been fine with a 3 day course. I had learned a lot from this board so there wasn't much new information. The hardest part for me was the different seatbelts and even that wasn't to tough after I read through it a few times. Our class was 4 days, 8am-4pm the first 3 days, 8am-11am the 4th day with a check event from 1pm to 4pm that day. We had a lot of standing around though and several of the breaks were more than 30 mins (usually because the instructors were helping a few people that were having a difficult time).

Splash

Mine was three days, 8-5 with lunch provided, and we were out by three most days. I didn't think it was bad at all, and even though there were a lot of people required to be there, they seemed to do okay. Most of my class was semi-required, as in "five people from this department WILL go, sign up or someone will be assigned." So most signed up voluntarily, but it was still part of the job.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Do I think a 3-day class is an inherently bad idea? YES.

Do I think it's a bad idea for YOU? No.

Most people going into that class will be completely clueless about car seats and anything related to them. My class (4 days) had three people fail. People need time to learn things and for stuff to sink in. I think a 3-day class will set up even more people to fail--or at least make it a lot harder.

You're already familiar with the issues, though. You'll be fine.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Do I think a 3-day class is an inherently bad idea? YES.

Do I think it's a bad idea for YOU? No.

Most people going into that class will be completely clueless about car seats and anything related to them. My class (4 days) had three people fail. People need time to learn things and for stuff to sink in. I think a 3-day class will set up even more people to fail--or at least make it a lot harder.

You're already familiar with the issues, though. You'll be fine.

:yeahthat:

momof3monkeys

my class was 4 days with the 5th day being the test and doing the local safe kids event seat check. i hardest part for me was learning the different latch plates and retractors too. now it seems simple enough but at the time i had never even knew there was such a thing lol i just new to get the seat in tight.

they were long days 730- to i think (it was in 2006 so my memory fails me) 430.

i couldnt go the last day had a family emergency (hubby got very ill) so i was pretty bummed. still have all my notes and materials though!;)

its hard for me now though i seem to get conflicting info from different techs now when ive taken my seats in when i ve had a problem. :(

what i once was quite confident in now im second and third guessing myself i feel like a fish out of water.

i find that (lately) i call the safe kids that did my training and pick their brains.
but they are a few hours away and they just lost their funding so they are now temporarily closed.:thumbsdown:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
FYI, I think you're supposed to change your status if your certification has lapsed ;)

Done. I didn't know I could change it, since I wasn't one the one to change it to begin with and wasn't sure who to contact. But a little snooping around appears to have taken care of things. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC