Roundabout/Diplomat concern

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've seen about half a dozen seats do this, so I think it's not a problem, but I want to check.

Even after the seats are installed tightly there's about a 1/2" of movement in the seat itself. Not the base, the seat moves back and forth on the base. Is this a problem, or something known on the compact convertibles? I did a presentation for a twin group a few weeks ago and they had all shopped at the same time, so four or six of their seats were the Roundabouts that did it. Then today at a check there was a couple with a 5/7/09 Diplomat that did it too (had to tell them their lovely Diplomat was not suitable for a newborn and they'd likely need to send daddy out for something while they're in the hospital waiting to be discharged. I hate telling people they need to spend more money, especially post Britax dollars).

I don't know why I didn't post about this sooner. LOL Denise Donaldson was running the check (Safe Ride News) and she said she'd email Sarah Tilton and I should post here.

Anyone know?

Wendy

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My FPSVD does the same thing, though I'm not sure it moves as much as 1/2". But my MA and DC never did it, so it's definitely noticable. Please let us know what Sarah Tilton says about the issue. :)

mimieliza

My RA does the same thing, but not post seat belt install. I assumed it was due to the lack of those rigid metal LATCH bars that are on the MA/BLVD. I'll be interested to hear what the verdict is.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
This has been both LATCH and seatbelt installs. Either way we get it nice and snug, and even with this movement there's less than 1", but it's not the base moving. It's the seat moving in the base.

Wendy

tiggercat

One of my MA's does this, I'm not sure if it's as much as 1/2 in, but noticeable movement. Moreso RF with LATCH, IIRC. It's never really bothered me, if you look at the seat uninstalled and wiggle it, you can see there is a little bit of space where the seat and base are joined and it's just moving laterally on there.

elle7715

We have a Diplomat and I've never noticed this. :confused: I do make the LATCH straps crazy tight though. It's uninstalled right now and when I get a chance I'll see if it moves on the base.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I encountered that with a RA at a check once. It moved a LOT. We told her to call Britax. I think someone asked about that here once, too.

I think a little wiggling is normal, but this movement was pretty significant. The tech who did the RA that day does a ton of Britax seats, and she hadn't seen that before.

jujumum

Our FPSVD seat shifts about 1/2" at the seat/base when uninstalled, and I almost returned it because of it. If we install it super tight, it barely moves. I just checked out our remaining RA, and it seems to do it, too (uninstalled). Our MA/DC/BVs don't do this.

Splash

My MA does it, and I hate it. But, I live with it. It's one reason I prefer a seatbelt install FF, because it does it mostly with LATCH. My BV doesn't, to the best of my memory (but I haven't used it in over a year, closer to two).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC