Infant seat in vehicle with very long buckle stalks

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Anyone tried installing infant seats in a vehicle with very long buckle stalks? Our friends have an older Bronco with lapbelts in the back seat. The lap belts are ALR, with very long buckle stalks. I have installed a RF MA and a FF EFTA with no problems, but I'm worried about the buckle ending up right in the middle of the belt path of the infant seat, preventing the seat from clipping onto the base.

ADS

momof3monkeys

Anyone tried installing infant seats in a vehicle with very long buckle stalks? Our friends have an older Bronco with lapbelts in the back seat. The lap belts are ALR, with very long buckle stalks. I have installed a RF MA and a FF EFTA with no problems, but I'm worried about the buckle ending up right in the middle of the belt path of the infant seat, preventing the seat from clipping onto the base.

how long are the stalks, it can definately be a problem, i have all long stalks too, can u twist them to shorten them? they say no more than 3 times but when i went to a safe kids seat check my checker was a retired automotive engineer and he told me i could twist my easily 6 times because of the length without compromising belt integrity.

twist the buckle stalks and maybe put a pool noodle in there to give it a bit more height? just a suggestion.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
They are very long, at least 12". And unfortunatley the most you can twist buckle stalks is 3 full turns, since more than that might compromise the strength of the belt.

momof3monkeys

thats what i learned as well, however they told me different. and the other techs all agreed as they were going to take off my cover and twist it for me, but i am getting new belts and they said i could just do it myself when the new ones come in so that the bolt wouldnt be exposed.

might be worth checking out.

just sayin

Pixels

The information you were given is unfortunately very wrong and very dangerous. Every time the belt is twisted, it weakens it. IMMI (the company that makes seatbelts for cars and the harnesses on many carseats) has done testing to determine how many times is safe. The limit is three full twists for a harnessed seat, and none at all for an adult or boostered child.

The pool noodle is a good idea, though, as long as it's used appropriately. In fact, I had to keep DD more reclined in DH's car than I would have liked, because I had to have the pool noodle in there for this exact reason. It just meant that she stayed closer to 40-45 degrees, instead of being closer to 30 like I wanted.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I was thinking a baseless install might be their only option too. In that case, they might as well go with a convertible. I'll talk to her about it next time I see her. They are all gung ho about getting a car seat but unfortunatley I think it's going to be more than just picking one off the shelf to find one that will work in their vehicle!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I was thinking a baseless install might be their only option too. In that case, they might as well go with a convertible. I'll talk to her about it next time I see her. They are all gung ho about getting a car seat but unfortunatley I think it's going to be more than just picking one off the shelf to find one that will work in their vehicle!

Not necessarily. I think I'd have them try out the baseless install with the infant seat. With that type of seat belt, the install should be very simple and easy, almost as easy as clicking the seat into a base.

That type of seat belt is what baseless infant seats were originally designed for, after all. Things didn't start getting complicated until they started putting lap/shoulder belts in the back seats of cars, and locking clips became a necessity. Depending on the infant seat they chose, they could very well get the convenience of an infant seat (leaving the baby in the seat, moving it to a stroller, etc) even without being able to use a base.

momof3monkeys

A baseless install would probably work. "Back in the day," infant seats (baseless) often ended up installed with the buckle between the belt guides.

ETA: momof3monkeys, here is a link that explains why you cannot use more than 3 full twists.

thanks for the link. i wasnt trying to be argumentative i hope no one took it that way. as i have previously stated in another post i took the cps course in 06 and i was told about the buckle being twisted no more than 3 times, but when i was told different by the 3 other techs last week it had occured to me that we never covered the type of belts i have (12 inch stalks) and they said due to the length we could twist more. thanks again guys i really appreciate it. its very hard to decifer info when its often conflicting. thanks for the link again. now i know it doesnt matter how long the stalk is. period.:)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It's not the common usage for one, but you can use a belt shortening clip on a really long buckle stalk. Here's a quote from the CPSlist by the editor of Safe Ride News Deborah Stewart

"The belt shortening clip (BSC) is intended to take up all the slack
in the long end of a lap belt (not the non-adjustable end) that has
an ELR retractor. With that type of retractor on the lap belt, there
is no other way to keep it tight around a CR.

However, the BSC CAN be used to shorten the buckle end of a lap belt
that is at 11-12 inches long. There are very few vehicles with this
set-up. I had measured 9.5" as the minimum amount of webbing the
locking clip actually takes up, but Cheryl Kim reminded us that it is
necessary to have additional webbing to allow for manipulating the
webbing around the clip."

If you took the CPS class in the past, you may or may not be familiar with using a BSC. If not, I would suggest that you find an veteran tech near you who is.

momof3monkeys

If you took the CPS class in the past, you may or may not be familiar with using a BSC. If not, I would suggest that you find an veteran tech near you who is.[/QUOTE]

i could go back to my materials and do some reading, as no i do not remember ever "using" one.

thanks! i think when it comes down to it i will have a professional over see it.

:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC