Xportation?

::er!ca::

I've never heard of this seat, and just saw my first picture of it today. A lady on a parenting forum I'm on used it for 3 of her children and just stopped using it (like, today) because she said it just expired. She's moving her little one into a Radian :thumbsup: She said she loved it, and loved having the baby in the front seat.

When did the Xportation stop being manufactured? Was it even a 5 point harness, or just a 3? I can't tell from her picture, her little one's arm is in the way.

ADS

::er!ca::

It looks like a 3-point, but can't tell. Last DOM is 2004 and there are recalls on it.

Ahhh, I'll have to tell her this (even though she's done using it). I need to look up the recall so I can post the link for her. If anyone can find the recall for me and post it, just incase I can't find it... I'd appreciate it :)

She stated she used it with her younger 3 children, the oldest of those 3 was born in 2002.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The inventor also invented the Radian. Really bright guy :thumbsup: That seat always made me laugh, because they were required to put the mandated 'do not use in front of an airbag' labels like every other seat had :rolleyes: The seat portion itself was *really* tiny, even by the small snugride and peg perego limits of the day (20lbs/26 inches)...it was just even narrower than they were, I guess to fit into that big egg shaped protective base.

libranbutterfly

Weird looking. I would love to see a crash test of it though. Not that it really matters anymore though. That is so cool that it is the same designer as the radian :)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here's a comparison pic of my dd in her Stay in View next to the Xportation. It shows just how narrow it was because the SIV was the narrowest seat on the market then. Certainly it was an unusual seat.

Attachments

• xportationcompare.jpg
    xportationcompare.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 44

picklesmama

I've never heard of this seat, and just saw my first picture of it today. A lady on a parenting forum I'm on used it for 3 of her children and just stopped using it
Hey Erica, fancy meeting you here ;) I've never posted here before, but I recently did a search on my old seat and this came up, how fun to find a thread kind of about me :D
It looks like a 3-point, but can't tell. Last DOM is 2004 and there are recalls on it.
It's a 5 point. Not that it matters now :p
The inventor also invented the Radian. Really bright guy :thumbsup:
Cool, I did not know that! I love our Radians! That's what we got for baby Kate too.

This is the picture of Kate in the Pioneered.
2009-06-26-KateCarSeat.jpg

The seat was a lifesaver for us with fitting 4 kids (the oldest being 5) in a small SUV! Now we have a minivan though so we didn't really need to use it but I did anyways while she was newborn since it was so nice having the new baby in sight beside me, and saved us having to buy a new seat for a few months. It was funny-looking though, and I often got questions about it!

Last edited:

Jonah Baby

So...no one thinks its wrong for the baby to be in an expired seat?
In the front seat of an SUV? Now in the front seat of a minivan?
I am positive that airbags are in the equation....

xxluckychicxx

So...no one thinks its wrong for the baby to be in an expired seat?In the front seat of an SUV? Now in the front seat of a minivan?

No, everyone else just read the whole thread.

The seat isnt in use anymore. She now has Radians. And a minivan, eliminating the need for a baby to be in the front seat.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So...no one thinks its wrong for the baby to be in an expired seat?
In the front seat of an SUV? Now in the front seat of a minivan?
This seat was actually designed for use in front of an air bag. That's the entire purpose of the capsule surrounding the seat. http://www.send2press.com/PRnetwire/pr_03_0429-xsci.shtml

No, everyone else just read the whole thread.

The seat isnt in use anymore. She now has Radians. And a minivan, eliminating the need for a baby to be in the front seat.
:yeahthat:

picklesmama

Also, I was aware of the recall, and my seat was not part of it, mine was manufactured in March 2003 (after the recall) so had only just expired this spring. I felt confident my infants were secure in it :)

Jonah Baby

Designed for airbags...
Why haven't they designed similar seats since?
I think there is enough of a need to have them, as I see seats in the front seat or parents who don't have an adequate car, all the time up here.

Saw the "2002" date for them...stopped reading there. My apology.

picklesmama

Designed for airbags...
Why haven't they designed similar seats since?
I think there is enough of a need to have them, as I see seats in the front seat or parents who don't have an adequate car, all the time up here.

Saw the "2002" date for them...stopped reading there. My apology.

I don't know why they stopped making them. I always assumed it was lack of demand since everyone I met was always astounded at what I paid for it and said they would never spend that much on an infant seat that you could only use to 22 lbs (I think it was close to $300) but in my case that was less than buying a new vehicle and worth it to know my baby was safe...
Perhaps since they started making seats like the Radian that could be used from birth to school-age there just wasn't enough demand?

C

ChristyD

I'm so disappointed to hear that Xportation is no longer doing the airbag-compatible infant seats.

I'd guess that they probably dropped this idea because right at the time that they were getting the new version out (after the recall) some states were passing laws making it illegal to have an infant seat in a position with an active airbag. End of discussion. Getting all the laws rewritten to allow it probably just wasn't feasible - particularly when many people were opposed to having the seats in the front just because that seat is less safe for ANYONE than in the back.
We were in Vermont at the time and I was all set to sink $300 into a seat for a couple of months of use, then the law made it illegal.

As far as I can tell, in NY it's "dangerous but not illegal" to put an infant seat in the front. Which is outrageous for most seats, but would have allowed room for a company specifically building seats for airbag-compatibility to do so.
So now, I appear to be legally allowed to use one, but they no longer exist.

*sigh*

Back to dreaming about that minivan...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC