Getting the seat tight

kalhayd

We're having issues RF our Titan in my husbands vehicle. She's picked up from daycare in it and drives the 2 minutes to home.

Anyhow, yesterday he had her FF as he couldn't get it secure RF. It kept shifting back and fourth when driving.

It's a pick-up, with the air bag keyed off. And RF no matter how much we try we cannot get a the seat to not shift. My DD can rock in it if that makes sense.

Any suggestions? We don't have this issue AT all in our BLVD in my car. Is it just the seat, or user error, both?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would say user error, lol. Where are you tightening from? With the Titan, I find it easier to pull the shoulder belt from under the cover, near the latch plate. Remember to test tightness at the base, with you weakest hand. It shouldn't move more than 1" side to side.

Of course, the first question is, what locks?

kalhayd

What locks? I'm confused. A little dunce with carseat terms. We're using a lap/shoulder belt. We'll have to try to mess with it.

We cannot take it to be installed as he has to un-do and re-do daily as he cannot have the seat in his truck during working hours.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What's the year/make/model of the truck?

"What locks" means how does the seat belt lock? Seat belts in newer vehicles ('97 and newer) will either lock at the retractor (the part that rolls back in) or at the latchplate (the "male end" which you buckle.) Locking the seat belt is a vital step in securing the car seat, so knowing how your seat belt locks helps us figure out how to help you. :thumbsup:

Defrost

Oh, also (sorry, I just saw your last comment) when you take your car seat to be inspected by a certified tech, they should not just install it for you. Instead, they will educate you and your dh on how to properly install it yourself, so taking it to a certified tech would probably be very helpful. :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have no experience with that one. Either your latch plate locks, or it is free sliding and that means you have a switchable retractor.

Evolily

You can pull your seatbelt all the way out, and let a little bit back in. If it locks (you can't pull the bit you let back in out) then it's a switchable retractor. If it doesn't lock you have some sort of locking latchplate, meaning it locks on the mail end of the buckle when you go to tighten the seat. Sometimes lightweight locking latchplates may require you to flip them 180 degrees to engage the locking mechanism.

Defrost

Okay, looks like your seat belt definitely locks in some way, either at the retractor after you pull the seat belt alllll the way out, or at the latchplate. Do you have the vehicle manual for this truck? It should have instructions in the section on installing car seats about how to lock the seat belt.

Does it have seats in the back? I'm guessing not, otherwise you'd be trying to install the car there, right? If it doesn't have a back seat, it should have LATCH in the front, and you can install the car seat with that instead of the seat belt. Again, check the vehicle manual for instructions on how to use LATCH in this particular vehicle. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC