Which is safer?

Kellyr2

I've started early thinking about what I might get in a couple years. Which would be safer - a conversion van or a big SUV like a Suburban? And since a conversion van is all custom built, can they come LATCH equipped? I haven't seen anything about that on any of the sites. And I'd want to buy used, not new, so I'm wondering how likely it is that they'd be already equipped. Anyone know anything about it? I was thinking back to when my parents had one - I think I could have fit 3 regents in the 3rd row. 2 regents and another slimmer seat at the very least. Seems like they'd be a dream for fitting carseats!

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
But my family's conversion van didn't even have SEAT BELTS on the rear bench (early 80's)!

You'd have to ask the conversion people if their seats & benches come with LATCH/top tethers.

If you're looking at used, anything after '02 will have at least 2 LATCH anchors - although some trucks/SUV's are exempt. . .

You don't mention the number of passengers or why you're interested in the bigger vehicles. If it were me, I'd certainly spend some time looking at the Honda/Toyota minivans because of their safety and maintanence records.

Kellyr2

Well, we have a minivan already and with 3 kids, we barely fit. With a regent in the 3rd row, there's only room for one other seat back there. We do plan to have one more. Now of course, we CAN fit 6 in our van just fine. But figure in that we travel around 8 hours a few times a year. We went this past weekend and getting all of us and all the luggage was a pain. And when we have family come visit, I like to be able to fit in one vehicle (typically it's just my mom, or just MIL and FIL, and for NOW we do all fit even when they come but it's tight). I just like having spare seating positions. Our Chrysler Voyager is just getting a bit cramped. Of the minivans, I like The Ody and Sienna best. If I go the minivan route, it will definitely be one of those two, and probably a 2 yr old one. But my estimate is that it will be late 2008/early 09 before we're ready to buy again. This one will be paid off this spring, and then dh wants to save up and pay cash for something for himself, and then we'll be ready to replace the van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC