Any way to decorate a seat without causing safety issues?

marciemp

I have a little boy who will be 4 in September. We are looking at getting all 3 of our kids new car-seats. The girls (6 in September and 4 in September) are picking pink seats (we haven't decide which yet but probably Graco Nautilus with new pink covers sent from my American family because we only have grey Nautilus in Canada!)

My little guy is all excited about his new seat too, but swears he is getting a Motorcycle seat, or a Spiderman seat, or even an orange seat, his fav colour). Is there any way I can decorate his seat without causing any problems with the safety? I feel so bad that the girls are all excited and talking about which pink seat they want, and he starts talking about his seat too. It is very cute and sad at the same time.

I was thinking some sort of sew on or iron on patch that I could put up on the head rest area, or maybe a few placed around the seat but not under him?

We are probably going to be getting the Nautilus with Reese covers.

Stupid boring boy seat covers!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Several users have used both sew-on patches and embroidery to decorate their seats. :) If you search "patches" or "embroidery" you will come up with some threads with pictures.

munchkin

Here is what I did before they made the girly covers to spruce mine up a bit. I figured if those couple of areas caught fire I had more things to worry about than just the patches. I decided to sew them on because I don't know how the iron-on would work in the heat and with washing the cover.

Those were the easiest places to sew patches on because of the padding/foam on the cover. And the harness covers are removable and the headrest is the cheapest to replace if he decides he doesn't like the patches anymore. If you decide to do something, will you please show the pics? I love seeing what people can come up with :thumbsup:.

AtTheSouthDam

Here was the compromise with DD2 when she got a pink cover and she wanted blue. It was done on a home embroidery machine with a batik fabric applique

dragonflypatch.jpg

Mommy0608

:eek: I LOOOOVE that dragonfly! DD and I both love dragonflies and butterflies, which is why we love the Mariposa Nautilus cover. Come on Britax, we need some new Frontier covers!

I agree with the others... sewing or ironing on some patches or doing embroidery would be fine. Definitely post pics!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I hand-embroidered my dd's Husky cover after she insisted the most comfortable car seat was the prettiest one. :rolleyes:

Some pics:

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

AtTheSouthDam

You're talking about atsuydam's pics, right?? Because you couldn't pay me enough to do that again! :D It took me over six months!

I love embroidery machines. We want to put bright tropical fish on the TF but I suspect with all the padding it may be too thick. I haven't examined it that closely yet.

Mommy0608

You're talking about atsuydam's pics, right?? Because you couldn't pay me enough to do that again! :D It took me over six months!

Either one of you! I can't even sew a button back on a shirt, there's no way I could decorate a car seat to my liking (or DD's liking). :p

marciemp

Thanks so much everyone. I am going to try and find something he will hopefully like for a long time, and put them like where munchkin did, so if we did want to replace we could. I never even thought of putting some on the harness covers, great idea. Right now he says motorcycles, so i will see what I can get. It is too bad that the seats don't at least come in better colours once the kids get bigger. There are all those nice infant seats in bright blue, orange, lime green, and the babies don't even care. Couldn't the bigger kids seats come in more bright colours, it is those kids that really care about it.

Seems like only Britax sets have a nice range of covers, but then they brought out the Frontier, yuck.

Oh well, he is not even 4 yet, patches will be great.
Thanks again

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC