Question Options for fitting 3 car seats in '04 Honda Pilot

U

Unregistered

I need to fit these three seats into my '04 Honda Pilot:

Graco Nautilus (FF, used by a 4-year-old, 37" tall, weighs about 34 pounds)
Evenflo Triumph Advance (RF, used by 19-month-old, 33" tall, weighs about 30 pounds)
Graco Snugride (RF, will be used by newborn we're expecting in September)

Our current arrangement has the Nautilus and ETA in the middle row, Nautilus behind the driver's seat and ETA behind the passenger seat. I'm currently leaning toward installing all three seats in the middle row since the third row is difficult to access with car seats installed in the middle row. What arrangements would be likely to work with the three seats that we have? At this point, we do not plan to purchase a new seat until our third baby outgrows the Snugride, so the three seats listed above are what I have to work with for at least the first 4-6 months.

In addition to safety, I'm also looking to find an arrangement that makes it easy to get all three of my kids into their respective seats. I currently have my 4-year-old climb in the passenger side and duck under her brother's car seat to get to hers while I buckle her brother in, then I go buckle her before getting into my own seat. This works well for us as we live in the city and do a lot of street parking.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

ADS

natysr

My first suggestion would to be to install all of the seats with a seatbelt install rather than LATCH. This way, you can get the outboard seats a bit closer to the door, allowing more room in the center.

The EFTA is a rather wide seat.

I think I would probably try putting the Nautilus in the center, and the rearfacing seats outboard.

Your 4 year old could either crawl under one of the rearfacing seats to get to his seat, or you could let him in through the front row and he could climb to the back.

I would also teach him how to buckle himself. He can buckle himself, while you get the babies buckled in. Then, once you get into the drivers seat, you can reach back and give a tug to the adjuster strap of his seat to make sure he is snug. When you get to your destination, reach back and un buckle him before you get out of the car.

I think I would put the snugride by the drivers side, since snapping that into the base is quicker than buckling in an uncooperative toddler.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestion, I think that arrangement will probably work as long as the Evenflo seat is still rear facing - that sucker is WIDE at the top. I think when my middle one outgrows the seat rear facing, we might have to get him a Nautilus of his own and hopefully the timing will be such that we can move the new baby into his convertible seat and keep it rear-facing.

serabi

I don't know if this will work space wise, but if you could fit the EFTA and the snugride beside each other, with the EFTA behind the driver and the snugride in the middle, you could then put the nautilus in the back and you'd be able to fold down the passenger side middle row seat to access the back.

I honestly have no idea if that will work spacewise though...the EFTA is pretty wide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC