What have you learned since coming to this board?

frugalmom

Have you learned anything new since coming to this board? This is such a great board with so many techs and everything I know I have learned so much from the short time I have been here.

So what have you learned?

ADS

Cryssy Jane

I think the biggest thing I learned was that I can not use latch in the center seat in my impreza. I never saw it in a carseat manual and never thought to look in the car's manual. The other big thing I learned was that on britax seats you're not suppose to use both lockoffs when securing the seatbelt, as I was terrible at doing such before especially when RF.

morninglori

ditto the borrowing lower anchors for a center install with latch. That lower latch anchors have a limit, and that seat belt installs are not scary and a lot of times easier and faster than latch.

andre149

I think I've learned a lot :) Let's see: I never knew older babies could have more upright RF installs, I finally figured out how the heck latch works in my car (G6), and I'm learning what seats I want/don't want to use

A lot of statistics as well... which are great when people start asking me questions. I had one of the parents I babysit for tell me they were going carseat shopping for their 8 month old and looking for a FF seat since he was "close" to a year. I threw a few numbers at her and now they're looking at a convertible :)

Wiggles

I don't have kids (yet) but I enjoy researching things for my future children while my fiancé and I wait to get into a good position (such as living in the same country) to have them.

I've learned SO much from this site. I didn't know that you could have a child rear-facing after 1 year, legally. I thought the law was that they HAD to forward face after 1 year. (I'm Canadian, assumed it was the law in all of North America) I've learned that LATCH had a limit. I didn't know that three-in-one seats weren't the most amazing thing since sliced bread (I had thought they were, but the booster feature doesn't sound to be that safe!). I didn't know that you could GET a high back booster that wasn't a combination or a 3-in-1 (I had low back and my 10 years younger than me and 15 year younger than me siblings were all in combination seats). I didn't know that it was okay to let a kid's legs be bent in a rear-facing carseat. I had no idea there were items like the Ride Safer Vest. I didn't know you could use carseats on airplanes. I didn't know there was anything wrong with items like the mighty-tite.

I've taken the things I've learned here back to my fiancé and he's agreed that our future children will be extended rear-facing and harnessed until there's no harnessed seat on the non-special needs market that will fit them anymore. I'm so glad that I've learned all this NOW and not after buying a bunch of useless crap down the road (like the mighty-tite) and finding out either in an accident or when I go for a carseat check that I've been doing something dangerous.

skylinphoto

I kept my son rfing until 18 months because of info on this site! Then I stupidly turned him around ffing because of pressure from a relative...but turned him back around rfing at 23months old because i came back to this site. :) He's still rfing at 3 yrs old. And of course my 15 month old is rfing too. And they will be harnessed until appropriate booster age and then I will have the knowledge to get them a booster that fits them well.

I learned all about how boosters work and how a seatbelt should fit a person (even how it fits me!).
I learned many useful ways to approach people about safety issues.

I learned what to look for when picking out a good carseat..and a good car even.

I learned WHY aftermarket products aren't a good idea and WHY carseats expire.

I've learned a TON of information that has helped me, my family, my friends, and strangers.

AtTheSouthDam

Boosters, seat maturity vs age, and side impact info with boosters. That is all new to me and I am soaking up as much as I can :D I am really starting to dread the end of the Regent, it is fast approaching as she DID grow again recently, ugh. I'm not ready for booster (she sits very well though :D)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I learn something every day. :) This site is a great resource, because of it I know about different features of different seats (which really helps when a parent asks "Well, what seat does this?" I can rattle them all off.)

amjbmommy

oh gosh... lets see... the IMPORTANCE of ERF... my first 2 dc (now 10 1/2 and 9) were FF at 9 months.....they were big babies but now I know that's no excuse so I'll hang my head in shame :( also they were both in HBB at 3 1/2 :doh:... about 5yrs ago I used one of the JJ cole thingies in ds#2's infant carseat.... I think that's all my "sins" :cool:

Last edited:

cookie123

I learned what a child passenger safety technician was and how to become one. I also learned there is so much more to using car seats than what is in the manual! I learn something every day, too. Sometimes I relearn something I forgot:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC