Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

No back vs. high back boosters

Someone told me that high-back boosters were bad for your child--in case of an accident, a high-back booster could do back/spinal cord damage. Is this true? Is there a particular study that points to this evidence? Meanwhile I have my 38 lb. 43" 5 year old in a 5 point harness system (with a high back) because I had thought that was the safest. I'm confused & would like some clarity!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: No back vs. high back boosters

Nope, that's one of the most...interesting...ideas I've heard. Read this study about how much safer a highback is than a no-back http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-htb090905.php
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

But your kid is still harnessed? My brain just went to 'booster' meaning the kind of seat you only use with a seatbelt. There is some belief in Sweden that older kids being *harnessed* may add more stress to the spine in a crash, but there's been no evidence of increase injuries like that to kids in the US in higher weight seats (In high speed car racing, a harness does need to be used with a HANS device to hold the head back, hopefully you aren't driving that fast, lol, and a harness is still a very safe choice )
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

CPS Advocate

No, it's not true at all

There used to be some scuttlebutt that a low back dedicated booster was safer than a highback dedicated booster because of the reduced head excursion, but that theory was based largely on what high back boosters used to be, which positioned the belt poorly and provided minimal side impact protection.

Today's high back belt positioning boosters are heads and shoulders (LOL) safer than the ones of five and six years ago, provide additional belt positioning and protection for the head and neck in an accident.

While a backless booster is an appropriate choice for an older child (say, 8 to 10), the average child under 8 should be in high back booster once they leave their harnessed seat.