Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

something I read elsewhere about seatbelts -- Is it true?

While surfing the internet, I read on another message board somewhere one poster's comment about why she used a 5-point harness instead of a booster seat for her child. She said she was told at a car seat check that 40 lbs is the minimum weight required to engage the lock on a seatbelt in the event of a crash. Is that true, or mistaken? And if true, is that 40 lb. weight of occupant, or only the force exerted by the occupant, which is going to be much greater in a crash?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic
    Not a tech, but I"m gonna take a guess. I've been in vehicles where, if you're barely leaning forward while the driver is breaking, it will lock. Like say, I just moved my torso forward an inch as we were pulling up to a stop sign. The belt would lock and i'd had to wait until we stopped to move forward any further. I wouldn't have been pushing with 40 lbs worth of force. I remember it happening as a teenager and I was just barely 100 total then. Gently leaning a bit forward just wouldn't be that much force. So I say no, that's wrong. Though it does make a great scare tactic to get people to keep kids in harnesses until 40 lbs!
    Kelly, mom to Aaric (7.5 and 65 lbs), Mikayla (6 and 52 lbs), and Xander (20 mo and 25 lbs)
    No more Huskies due to a wreck...
    Xander's in a MA, Mikayla in a GN, Aaric is temporarily in the pink Vivo...
    Graco SS1 due to come out of retirement in Jan 09

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar
    I'm inclined to agree that this tech is using scare tactics without any factual basis for making such a claim. I'm not a tech but a huge safety freak, lol, and very pro-extended harnessing. I have also had seatbelts lock up on me many times just by leaning forward slightly or while driving around a corner or sharp curve. Using scare tactics like this may serve a purpose in certain situations, but can also undermine credibility and cause some parents to disregard otherwise valid safety information.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

No, that's not true -- otherwise infants would be screwed, wouldn't they....
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    All seatbelts must lock in a crash, no matter what kind of seat is used. Either the seatbelt is locked at the time of installation (as with a locking latch plate on a lap belt or a switchable retractor on a shoulder belt) or it is locked at the time of the crash, in which case a locking clip may be used to hold the seatbelt *until it locks*.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Senior Community Member
    Could she have been talking about automatic pretensioners? If so, then it likely wouldn't matter, since not that many cars have pretensioners on rear seatbelts.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    Google to the rescue... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/seatbelt3.htm shows how a seatbelt works. No, it doesn't take anything near 40 pounds to kick the retractor into action (the 'tech' in question must have been in the restroom or asleep when they showed them all the seatbelt systems and described how they worked, I'm guessing )
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good