Question How many of you pass the 5pt test in the driver's seat of your primary vehicle?

Do you pass the 5-step test in the driver's seat of your primary vehicle?

• Yes, and I am female

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • No, and I am female

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • Yes, and I am male

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I am not male

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Momof4Girls

We were driving down the road the other day, and I was adjusting my seatbelt (again!), thinking about what a PITA it is to drive, b/c the seatbelt doesn't fit me right. The seatbelt on the passenger side fits fine (both seatbelts are adjusted accordingly), so why the driver's side doesn't fit, I do not understand.

I noticed of the 10 or so cars I peered into, 3 were wearing no seatbelts, 2 were men (and the seatbelt fit them perfectly, across the middle of the chest and low on the hips/thighs), and of the 5 or so women driving while wearing a seatbelt, only one of them had the seatbelt fitting correctly. The rest of them had a lapbelt riding up on their bellies, or had the shoulder belt going across their necks. The one female driver that "fit" the seatbelt was a rail-thin, skinny-minnie kind of gal.

Anyway, poll to follow...

Oh, my, the last option was supposed to say, "No, and I am male"! Too bad it won't let me edit the poll options!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
almost.....it's pretty good considering most vehicles I've been in. But honestly, most of the time when they dont fit, it has more to do with my weight than my height..belts are deigned to go over the body in a certain way/angle, and when your body is all round and doesn't angle the way they think ti should angle, it completely changes the way the belt lays on you...giant breasts dont help either.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The shoulder belt crosses my neck to some degree in the driver's seat of both our main vehicles. Even when adjusted all the way down (or all the way up, or anywhere in between :rolleyes:). I would probably pass the five-step quite nicely in the back seat of either vehicle, but they don't have head rests, so I wouldn't sit back there anyway.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm 5'5", short-torsoed, and I drive a 2006 Kia Optima.

I pass when I first buckle up, but the shoulder belt tends to ride up over my (overlarge) bosom and sit too close to my neck.

Wiggles

I don't. I'm 5'4 and 100 lbs and, while I can usually get the lap part to sit low like it's supposed to on most cars (unless they have a long, stiff 'female end' stem), the shoulder belt is NEVER on my shoulder. Never. No matter how I adjust the height, unless I sit on the edge of the seat (with part of my bottom overhanging the edge so that I'm not really fully on the seat--I'm really in the space between seat and door), my shoulders seem to be too narrow and the seatbelt is completely off my shoulder. Not digging into my neck. Completely off. The last point of contact with my body at the lowest setting is my upper arm and, if it's at a higher setting, the last point of contact is my chest. The car I'm currently driving (an 05 freestyle, iirc, it's my mum's) is probably the worst--the shoulder part of the belt touches me at just above my belly button and then makes no contact no matter where the seatbelt is adjusted to, and the stems are long enough that the lap belt rides up and I spend the whole time I'm driving pushing it back down.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I easily pass the 5-step test. Granted, I am 5'9", have 32-33 inch legs, and drive a small vehicle. :)

abigaylebelle

Hey Wiggles, we have the same stats! I'm 5'4" and weigh 99lbs. My drivers seat has a height adjustable shoulder belt so I pass the 5 step test even with my very short torso. The rear middle seat is a nightmare though because the belt comes out of a weird place in the ceiling. Since front seats are more adjustable in most cars I do best in the driver or passenger seats.

skylinphoto

I'm only 4'11 (105lbs) and drive a small car. I don't pass the 5step test.
Almost though.
The lapbelt rides up towards my tummy after a few minutes but the shoulder belt sits perfectly where it should be. :)

rochelle

I am 5"3' 94lbs. the seatbelt rides up my tummy whether in driver seat or passenger/backseat. the seatbelt either cuts into my neck or fall off my shoulder. forgot my shoulder width but I could sit comfortable in my boys frontier.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am small and I do. But only because my vehicle has power adjustable height for back and front of seat bottom (meaning no specified "click" positions) and it also has adjustible height shoulder belts. The adjustability was a must have feature for us when we purchased our last 2 vehicles. Without it, the seat belt usually cuts into my neck and I can't see over the front of the vehicle because non-adjustable seats sit too low.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Nope. Not in driver or passenger seat. Neither lap or shoulder portion fits right; I lock my belt after repositioning it to get it to stay in the right place.

kanga

I am 5'5" and 105 lbs. I drive a honda odyssey. The lap belt fits just fine, but the strap is always on my neck. Even with the lowest setting, it doesnt fit properly. I can lift my sit but then my legs are uncomfortable. I have a short torso and long legs. I wish there was an adjuster or something.

AtTheSouthDam

I am 5' 8.5" and well over 100# :p and I do not pass in a 2007 Ford Freestar. The lap portion stays low but the shoulder belt is always creeping up against my neck. I have to keep pushing back. I have an hour glass type figure so I always blamed it on my breasts. I have been tempted to put a clip in the middle of my chest to keep there. It gets so annoying! Oh, and passenger side is just as bad. I actually prefer the middle row next to one of the girls.

Mommy0608

Nope. I'm 5'3" and 115lbs and the lap portion of my seatbelt fits terribly! It rides up on my abdomen. I'm constantly pushing it down and scooting back as far as possible in the seat. Oh, and I drive a 2003 Civic.

scatterbunny

OT, but I am SO jealous of you guys who weigh under 100 pounds.:eek:

You know at 5'9, you should never be under 100 pounds. ;) ((HUGS))

I am 5'5, overweight, and I do pass the 5 step test in my 2003 Ford Focus. I do not pass in dh's 1989 Chevy Blazer, though-the shoulderbelt rides way too high on my neck, and the lapbelt rides too high on my tummy. The seat also reclines way too far (in the most upright position).

MustangMama

I am 5'9" and drive an 06 Mustang. The seat belt fits me well but my boobs are SOOOO big that they push the belt up into my neck :eek: I am always pulling it down so it doesn't scratch my neck.

serabi

I'm 5'5" and I drive a Town & Country. The belt fits OK when I'm not pregnant. When I'm pregnant it's AWFUL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC