Question What would you buy...?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We need to get a 7 or 8 passenger SUV, and I'd like to spend 10-12k or so because we only drive a second vehicle once a week. Needs:
Towing package (my kids have a boat), 7/8 pass, leather, navigation, 4wd (AWD is acceptable). Wants: Xenon headlights, smaller size.

I don't want another minivan--we have one...I need something I can get a little dirty with trips to the dump etc. I just don't feel right driving to the dump with our construction materials in my Ody Touring...:)

Considerations:
2002-2004 MDX
2002-2005 ML320 (etc)
2002-2003 Montero (NOT Sport)
2003-2004 XC90

Which would you buy? I've narrowed things down to these four, within my current price range...although I'm not too warm to the maintenance needs of the MLs.

Enlighten me!

-Nicole.

ADS

Not the ML. That gen one was one of the ones that dropped Mercedes' quality down to Yugo and Pinto levels. It's almost unheard of for a CEO to apologize for how crappy their quality is, especially a luxury car manufacturer. The ML is the primary reason for that amazing event.

Assuming the Volvo and Acura can tow enough for your needs, I'd go with them. Personally, I prefer the Acura, but I know tons of people love the XC90 and the regular lowered wagon version (V70 or V90?).

bubbaray

Are you buying here or in the US? I ask because if I was buying used and had a budget, I'd look into purchasing in the US.

Personally, I wouldn't want to tow with any of those vehicles on a regular basis. The Acura, Mercedes and Volvo are luxury SUVs, not "working" ones.

If I needed an SUV with decent towing capability and 7-8 passenger seating, I'd look first at the Yukons. I think you need the XL to get the seating you need, but I'm not 100% certain about that. The Yukon Denali might have a 3rd row. All trim levels of the Yukons have decent towing capability. The Yukon XL and the Suburban are very similar. I don't know much about the Dodge Durango, though I know people who tow with it. Ditto for the Explorer -- our previous daycare provider has a 2002 with 3rd row and she can carry 5 kids in seats using the 2nd and 3rd rows. They regularly tow a boat with it. However, they had tons of problems with it. I prefer the look of the Yukons, myself.

If I were purchasing a used domestic SUV, I'd really try to get it in the US (making sure its not a flood vehicle and has a clean VIN). The prices are really cheap.

GL!

bubbaray

Another thought, why not get a small utility trailer for trips to the dump?

I asked DH and he said that of those (assuming it can tow the weight of your boat), he'd get the Acura. I still vote for a larger domestic....

QuassEE

I can't stand domestics.. :) (Says the Mazda Tribute driver...hah!)

The Acura or the XC90 are really the short list. They can both tow the boat that my kids have--our Tribute actually can.. It only needs to tow to and from the lift, since they have a dock and pull it out in the winter only.

As for the US--all of my cars have come from the US over the last few years, silly :)

-Nicole.

QuassEE

One more thing--I'm considering digging a little deeper (using credit) and adding the GX470 to my list. It's small, footprint wise, but quite tall. I just really prefer to buy vehicles outright.

Heather98012

Personally, I'd get the XC90 but that's just because I like the look of them better & the fact that you don't see quite as many out there. But either the XC90 or the MDX would be excellent choices.

bubbaray

Looks alone, the Volvo. BUT, I'm a very happy Honda owner and have previously owned an Acura (just don't buy from Burrard Acura or get it serviced there -- they SUCK). So, overall, from your list, the MDX.

I'm not saying I prefer domestics generally, but if you have tow a lot of weight and don't want a full-sized truck (or need more seating than a full-sized truck), the large domestic SUVs have waaaaay higher tow ratings and are just all-around desgined for towing.

If you can tow the boat with the Tribute, I guess any of the SUVs you list should be fine. I'd still check the ratings (edmunds.com).

QuassEE

I'm watching the westcoast Craigslist ads daily now. It seems like we'll end up with an MDX, because they're so much more common and easily available. My XC90 requirements are rarely met, especially at the price I want to pay.

You mean you're supposed to maintain cars? Other than oil changes, our Tribute has been completely ignored in that department ;) Nobody is really responsible for it, because it's a spare car that three of us drive only once in a while.. nobody steps up to the plate on maintenance as we have other primary vehicles, but I do the oil changes at least once a year...I think we've put about 15,000mi on it in the last 3 years. I guess by the lack-of-maintenance logic, the MDX is probably a better option, as well. It seems like the XC90s need a bit more TLC. But darn they're sweet.

-N.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would only consider the MDX and XC90 out of your choices.

I would choose the XC90 for the looks and the fact that the body style you buy will still be current. The changes made to the XC90 in 07 are very subtle and most non-car freaks won't be able to tell the difference between a 03 and a 08. The problem with the Volvo is it is very hard to find one with nav. When we were looking at brand new ones it was hard to find one with nav that was a color combo we liked. They just don't sell that many with nav and in turn there aren't that many used ones with nav.

But if I was being practical, which I have never claimed to be:p, I would go with the MDX. Acura is up there for dependability and longevity, whereas Volvos will last a long time but they often need expensive repairs to get them there. People on my MDX board have first gen MDX's with over 240,000 miles and they claim to have done no major repairs. The downside with the MDX is it will already be an out dated bodystyle the second you buy it...but that doesn't really matter when you are just trying to get the best vehicle for your money while paying cash.

QuassEE

The bodystyle thing has crossed my mind...but I realized when I saw a 26k 2007 MDX that had NO options that I'd rather have a loaded 2006 and pay 10k less.. :) Y'know? If I wanted a bare bones '07 MDX I'd be fine with a Pilot. I'm not.

Every hour or two I'm checking Seattle, Portland, SF, LV and Sacto CLs for new XC90s popping up.

-Nicole.

QuassEE

Final verdict?

I just got home from Oregon with a.....................

2004 XC90.

It has everything on my WANT list with the exception of the towing package. The navigation CD was also missing--which was sort of a bummer for the trip home. I love everything about it, there are so many little features that were obviously very well thought out. The turning radius isn't the best, I think that's my only complaint. I also don't think this one has Homelink, which seems odd not to have.

DH keeps joking that because it's Swedish, we should be able to take it apart with a hex key ;)

-Nicole.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Congrats! A friend of mine just got a used XC90 and she really likes it. Not sure what year, though.

Congrats! Excellent choice.

I just wanted to mention (for future readers) that the GX470 is a bit overrated. Not worth the $$$$ IMO. Dad's employee has one. Just stick with the 4Runner it's based off of. They never drive the thing.

bubbaray

Cool! On the same day the Sedin's resigned with the Canucks, LOL. It was meant to be.

So, are you gonna import a Swedish seat for A?? :whistle:

QuassEE

So now I need to find someone with the Volvo navigation disc, we're not sure the navi even works. We can't get a disc to even go into it ;) Might pull it out and open it up. It was the one thing we couldn't test at the dealership, and now DH is ticked that it might not work. :(

abigaylebelle

I noticed you said you bought the xc90 in Oregon, was it the Nordic place in Portland by any chance? Just asking since I was thinking DH might need a tank for daddy duty soon and they had an xc90 for under 18k.

QuassEE

I disregarded the Pilot when I got my Odyssey. The interior is spartan, and the features really just don't spoil you AT ALL compared to the MDX. It feels cheap and bare-bones to me. Of course, I still need to go check out the newest model year since I was looking in 2008, not 09.

abigaylebelle--not Nordic.. a kid who runs a small Euro dealership south of Lloyd Center by about 5 minutes driving--out by the train tracks there. Great guy, but he really just flogs lease returns that he picks up down in California. Never know what he'll get. He has a lot of Mercedes' and BMWs. I did see the ads for Nordic--I think they had two XC90s quite recently. I can't speak for them, and honestly the guy I got my XC90 from doesn't have a huge inventory...he does have access to more, and will get you a vehicle if you put a deposit. I know for a fact his mark-up is REALLY low, which is nice. But yeah, small place.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC