A Few Questions!

Mommy2Marcus

Okay...So I have a few questions that I was hoping to get some thoughts on.

#1) While I was visiting my mom back a couple of weeks ago I had to move Marcus' seat to my mom's car for us to all go out for dinner. Since she has TA's in her car I decided to put Marcus FF (he is RF in my car). However I forgot to move the LATCH belt to the RF belt path. I did not install it with both, just installed the seat over the LATCH belt with the seat belt. Was this really bad?? I noticed it on the way back from dinner & fixed it that night, but was wondering if I did something horrible here.

#2) In my car I have a lap belt only. It is never used at all. I got to thinking about it & thought that it could VERY well become a projectile if I were in an accident. Should I buckle it to keep it from hitting someone in the head? I just never thought about it before untill tonight really.

#3) I own a TF. It is installed in DH's car FF for Marcus. He usually is in my car 99% of the time. I seen the other post about the woman whose headrest was not clicking in right on the right side of her seat. Well, mine is doing the same thing that her's is doing. It moves out ALOT more than I think it should. However the delima here is that Marcus needs that seat tomorrow on the ride home from my IL's for 3-4 miles down the road. Would you feel safe using this seat without knowing what the LC thought about this? I am not sure how I feel. I plan to give them a call Monday to see what they have to say about it, but it will be Monday before I am able to call as I have to be at work tomorrow from 9-6. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#4) IF LC deems my TF unsafe I am thinking of asking for a refund & getting a different seat all together. What seat should I get? I am thinking of getting a Nautilus & putting it in DH's car. Do you think that this would be a good option? I am also thinking I might get a MR for my car & putting the EFTA in DH's car. WWYD? This is just a what if senerio.

ADS

NannyMom

1- So, the latch strap was through the same belt path as the seatbelt, but not used (did you have the hooks clipped onto their place on the seat base?)? That's fine.

2- I would buckle it in. Buckle it, and tuck it into the seat crease.

3-

4- Do you want him RF in DH's car? Do you want hime RF to 40 pounds? Do you think the MR will keep him RF beyond 35 pounds (height wise)? If the answer to either if these is yes, I'd buy the MR. If the answers are no, I'd get a Nautilus.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Okay...So I have a few questions that I was hoping to get some thoughts on.

#1) While I was visiting my mom back a couple of weeks ago I had to move Marcus' seat to my mom's car for us to all go out for dinner. Since she has TA's in her car I decided to put Marcus FF (he is RF in my car). However I forgot to move the LATCH belt to the RF belt path. I did not install it with both, just installed the seat over the LATCH belt with the seat belt. Was this really bad?? I noticed it on the way back from dinner & fixed it that night, but was wondering if I did something horrible here.

#2) In my car I have a lap belt only. It is never used at all. I got to thinking about it & thought that it could VERY well become a projectile if I were in an accident. Should I buckle it to keep it from hitting someone in the head? I just never thought about it before untill tonight really.

#3) I own a TF. It is installed in DH's car FF for Marcus. He usually is in my car 99% of the time. I seen the other post about the woman whose headrest was not clicking in right on the right side of her seat. Well, mine is doing the same thing that her's is doing. It moves out ALOT more than I think it should. However the delima here is that Marcus needs that seat tomorrow on the ride home from my IL's for 3-4 miles down the road. Would you feel safe using this seat without knowing what the LC thought about this? I am not sure how I feel. I plan to give them a call Monday to see what they have to say about it, but it will be Monday before I am able to call as I have to be at work tomorrow from 9-6. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#4) IF LC deems my TF unsafe I am thinking of asking for a refund & getting a different seat all together. What seat should I get? I am thinking of getting a Nautilus & putting it in DH's car. Do you think that this would be a good option? I am also thinking I might get a MR for my car & putting the EFTA in DH's car. WWYD? This is just a what if senerio.

1. So you had the seatbelt going through the RFing belt path as well? Yeah, that's bad. Glad you found it and fixed it before anything happened!

2. Yes, I always buckle unused lap belts for projectile purposes.

3. I don't know anything about the true fit.

4. At 30 lbs, I'd probably get a FF seat too.

NannyMom

1. So you had the seatbelt going through the RFing belt path as well? Yeah, that's bad. Glad you found it and fixed it before anything happened!

Ok, I'm confused. Or one of us is confused. The latch strap was through the FF belt path (she said she forgot to move it to RF), but was not being used. She installed the seat FF, with seatbelt through the FF belt path. Do you have to move the unused latch strap the the unused belth path when installing with seatbelt? Can't do that with FF only seats though.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Ok, I'm confused. Or one of us is confused. The latch strap was through the FF belt path (she said she forgot to move it to RF), but was not being used. She installed the seat FF, with seatbelt through the FF belt path. Do you have to move the unused latch strap the the unused belth path when installing with seatbelt? Can't do that with FF only seats though.

I misread. I thought it said that she had the seat installed RFing with LATCH and then forgot to move it and put the seatbelt over LATCH belt- hence in the RFing belt path.

Mommy2Marcus

This is correct. I had the seat installed FF through the FF belt path. However I had had it installed in my car RF. I however forgot to move the LATCH straps to the RF belt path to get them out of the way. I had them hooked to their storage spots though. I then installed the seat FF using the seat belt with the LATCH straps under the seat belt. Was this okay??

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I commented in the other thread last night, but haven't updated there yet since I checked my own this morning. If I specifically try and pull on the side that doesn't latch in to the seat I can lift mine up a good inch or so. This isn't a defect or anything to be concerned about - it's no different than vehicle headrests that have the 2 posts but are only actually attached with one. As I said in the other post, nobody is pulling up on the headrest in a collision. Pulling just on one side of the headrest is something only a person is able to do.

I think it's important to keep in mind that sometimes we can purposefully make a seat behave in a way that it wouldn't be able to behave in a collision. Everyone freaking out about being able to force the red tabs on the EFTA slightly up or down even once the harness was tightened is a case like that. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC