OMG... Safety 1st... complete air convertible... rear face to 40lbs

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Re: OMG... Safety 1st... air convertible... rear face to 40lbs

yep, old. That was putting it up in the top "unusable" slot, which, when i was investigating, seemed to be the same as the slots in the new 50-lb seats, except you can USE the top slot (the one that is 17.5 inches tall) in the new ones, whereas you can not in the old ones.

ADS

twinsmom

Never mind the 'Air Protect', let's see them extend the 40 lb rearfacing weight limit!

Absolutely! It's funny - Dorel was "public enemy # 1" on this board just last week (rightly so after their UK comments). Now they have this exciting new seat coming out. What a strange turn of events...

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

i am so thrilled!!
I'm not sure if ti was ever confirmed whether they just reinforced the current shell, or redesigned it or wahetever, but the shells are extremely similar, if not identical.
here is a pic I just took of my dd in the AOE with it in the top slot(the slot that is 17.5 inches tall)...can you SEE how much room she still has!!!??! I used some legos to give you an idea of the correct measuring angle...and dd is currently 41 inches tall, with a 16 inch torso..she has 2 "clicks" left in the frontier harness, and is just barely under/even with the second to top slots in a GN, and just a tad over the second to top slots in a Radian. And she would have a lot of room left RFing in the AOE. If you went by the "even with" rule specified in the air protect manual, she would have like 2 more inches? And a full inch even if you went by the standard "one inch under the shell" rule. either way...she'd be able to RF in this seat about as long as she could be harnessed FORWARD facing in some of the biggest hwh seats on the market!!:eek::love::thumbsup: (Well..as long as she was under 40 lbs..which she isn't...LOL!)

carseat001.jpg

carseat002.jpg

zeo2ski

:confused:
Actually..it doesn't. LOL. you are correct though, it IS an old one..but my sig doesn't say that!!??!! Are you psychic??? :eek::D

Lol, I was looking at Sarah's siggy. Oops. But uh, yeah let's go with I'm psychic instead.

JOII

I am so happy all these great seats are coming out when I need them to! The AOE is relatively narrow isnt it? I think this seat should fit easily in my three across.
I just hope my DH wont be upset when I want to replace all of my seats instead of just getting one for the baby :whistle:

jrmo

Anyone want to volunteer to contact Safety 1st about whether this is truly the shell or the wings for height. That will make a big difference! And again, why can they allow this when other (and IMO, better) brands can't?

zeo2ski

I used some legos to give you an idea of the correct measuring angle...

I read this and wondered what that could mean. Then kinda forgot you said it by the time I scrolled down to that pic and I laughed out loud. Very clever, but what a funny surprise.

The manual won't load for me, so for those of you looking at it I'm guessing there's nothing about RF tether since no one mentioned it? Or lock offs?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

No, it specifically says to clip the tether to the foot when RF'ing. And instructions for a locking clip, so no lockoffs.

jrmo

No RF tether or lockoffs that I saw :thumbsdown:, but there is a no rethread harness adjuster. :thumbsup:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

I read this and wondered what that could mean. Then kinda forgot you said it by the time I scrolled down to that pic and I laughed out loud. Very clever, but what a funny surprise.

The manual won't load for me, so for those of you looking at it I'm guessing there's nothing about RF tether since no one mentioned it? Or lock offs?

It very specifically says to latch the top tether under the seat when Rfing, so no Rfing tether allowed. no lock offs either.

and..uh..ya..I say some funny things ,LOL!

Maedze

Dorel has never done rearfacing tethers.

And lock offs are pretty meh. I wouldn't want to pay more for them, that's for sure.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

Absolutely! It's funny - Dorel was "public enemy # 1" on this board just last week (rightly so after their UK comments). Now they have this exciting new seat coming out. What a strange turn of events...

Seriously, you should have seen the scathing letters I wrote to them. I still hate them.

I still won't buy one of their products. But since DD won't need a high-weight RF seat for a while, I figure something new will be out by then, with this and the MyRide leading the way.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

At the end, it says to use a rolled towel or FOAM POOL NOODLE! Yes! to adjust recline.
LOL.
It also says to Locate a Child Safety Seat Inspection Station for
hands on training on how to use your child restraint: Visit
your local Child Passenger Inspection Station or go to
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cps/cpsfitting/index.cfm to find your closest station.

christineka

I don't think dorel has ever subscribed to the 1 inch rule for rfing. I contacted them some time ago regarding the rfing height limit of the avenue. I was told the absolute max rfing height limit was 36 inches or till the child's head was at the top of the shell.

While I think it is great that dorel has come out with a 40 pound rfing seat, I have no desire to buy it. $250 for a dorel seat is a bit much when I can get a radian for $200. (Then again, I have tiny kids.)

zeo2ski

No RF tether or lockoffs that I saw :thumbsdown:, but there is a no rethread harness adjuster. :thumbsup:
Yeah I do like that. So that's one up on the RN (if they were to come out around the same time...).
Dorel has never done rearfacing tethers.

And lock offs are pretty meh. I wouldn't want to pay more for them, that's for sure.

Ah, sure, but they've never done a 40 lb RF seat before either. Ya never know when things might change. :)
I personally don't care about lock offs either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC