Carseats are good for 10 years.. don't ya know..

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Um, how old is that picture? It's not new, I hope. There are two expired Britaxes right in the forefront.

Sunscreen I'd use past its date. Though we go through it so quickly when we use it it's not a concern. Tires, bike helmets, and carseats I'd replace. They're lifesaving devices (or can cause a life ending crash if they pop). Milk tastes bad once it goes, so no one drinks it anyway, so I'd replace it. I just think people need to use common sense. If they say six years, yes, it may be 10, but as it's your kid's life you're using to test that lifespan, let's not. Sunscreen that's too old won't kill your child. A carseat that's too old might.

Wendy

it's a 4 year old article.... someone sent it to me in defense of me suggesting not using a carseat after the expiration date. I sent back the utube video of the crash test of the 10 year old carseat.

momto2princes

WOW :eek:

I think I sort of get the point they article was making about the expiration date. No the car seat isn't going to spontaneously combust the day after it expires but it does concern me that other parents not as "up" on car seat knowledge will read into it differently (like the pp stated making it more difficult to explain the safety). I just don't get why any parent would want to risk their childs life or safety.

drlynne

I saw somewhere, can't remember where, but someone posted that Britax told her their carseats expire after 3 years if it was in direct sunlight!! Could this be true?

momof3monkeys

some of my sunscreen bottles dont even have a darned date! frustrating lol
as far as the seats go,,,,,,,my friend and neighbor is using a seat that is 11 years and some odd months old, i told her to burn it and gave her my marathon which did expire in march, but told her that she could use it temporarily til she could get a seat,,,,,,,,,evidentally even though she LOVED IT and if u had seen her old seat u would know why (bar type 3 point if u want to call it that harness) she was caught in the act by me using the old one for hubbies car, so darned #*#*#*# at that. it has latch the time it took to put in that old jalopy she could have had it in with latch. she doesnt have it in her car and has never used latch before but her hubbys car does. and thats where it was, so frustrating. ya know. huh!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC