Apex 65 as a booster ok?

mum2two

DD who is 6yrs/1st grade and 42 lbs/46 inches tall normally rides in Regent in our cars and harnessed in a Frontier in IL's car. Over the summer I know she's going to be invited to go to private pool so I can't drive her (there's a gate and no great place to drop her off) with school friends and I will not be installing the Regent or Frontier in other folks cars. (and won't always be around anyway as I work, my IL's would be here when the other parent comes).

We have a perfectly good Apex 65 that we just don't use because we like the other harnessed seats. What kind of booster does it make? I need to go bring it in from the garage and look it over and see how she fits in it, but I'm thinking it makes sense to start using it for those playdates. Next fall she'll be attending rehersals with her dance teacher and I'd also like to use it for that situation too.

Any quirks/things I should know that I won't learn from the manual.

Thanks!

ADS

ginny4

it might be too wide for her. i'd check the fit & actually take a pic of her in it & post it to get more feedback of her fit.
if its adequate but just not ideal then i'd use it. otherwsie get an inexpensive one like the turbo or vivo. those are easy to transport

Maedze

Definitely not an ideal seat to use as a part time booster in a variety of cars. It's extremely wide, and won't fit well if there's a three across situation. It doesn't position the belt ideally on some kids.

I'd pick up a backless Turbobooster for those sorts of moments.

I used mine for a few days as a booster, I found it to be way too wide, the seat belt kept locking up when I buckled her in, she could not buckle her self, otherwise the belt fit nicely with it, but it is very wide, I grabbed a hb turbo instead because the belt would lock while I Was driving if she moved forward at all, I was waiting for our parkway at that time.

Maybe it will be different for you, try it out.

TerisBoys

It also requires support behind the head at least as high as the tips of her ears.

I agree - I'd pick up something else just to be safe.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It requires support from the car to the level of the child's ears, so if any of your friends have Ford Focuses or Jeeps with low backs it won't work in those cars, probably.

Wendy

mum2two

THank you all!

It sounds like I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Turbo on sale, I think I'd get a HBB, not backless though as she's never even been in a booster and I just don't see how the backless ones provide much support etc.

She's super skinny, her size 5 pants have to cinched in all the way and she regularly fits things waist size in size 3 (she weighs only 42lbs) and is so narrow.

So the Apex, which seemed like a good idea at the time sits some more, I just find it so flimsy (oh and DD got her finger stuck in the holes in the armrests once so I'm not a fan!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC