5 long days of driving...

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
If you were taking your two kids on a very long, cross-country trip, would you install 2 seats for each child (since you have a 3rd row that you could use), so when you stop for gas or food or a break, they could switch seats as desired? Or would you just pick the seat you feel is the best fit for them, and stow the 3rd row for more storage space?

ADS

vangelder03

I really had to think about this with the extra seats you could let them sit side by side or split them up if they are getting on each others nerves without having to move a seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I like the idea of 2 seats each, IF you can afford to loose the space. I drove from L.A. to Oregon with a 4 and 5 year old. I had to separate them.

AtTheSouthDam

I plan to, kind of. We are taking a 16+ hours trip in August and I was thinking of putting DD1 in the back in her Regent and DD2 in the middle in her TF. I will take the TB to sit next to DD1 during the awake hours (we drive overnight) if she wants. The Radian XT will be stored with the luggage in case we need because DD2 will have a melt down if she spills anything and I am not attempting to clean a car seat at a rest stop :D

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Well, they won't need to be separated. They are wonderful together and are truly each others best friend.

I was just thinking it's awfully hard to sit in one position for a long time, if they could have the option of switching every 3-4 hours, it might be nice - but it might be a PITA too!

Auntie2Avi

I would put one seat per child. I wouldn't want to deal with them wanting to switch every 10 minutes, or stopping and switching seats and then getting back on the road and wanting to switch back.

JMHO.

andre149

I think if I weren't concerned about having to seperate them I would just install 1 seat per child. If they get uncomfortable do you have enough time to stop somewhere and walk around for 5-10 minutes? I would think that would help more than a different seat to sit in.

christineka

I'd do one seat per child too. I only get one. They'll survive. Of course, if you really want to, you can go ahead and install the other seats. Or ask the kids if they want 2 seats in the vehicle.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'd take 2 sets for each. Last year we did a long trip with both kids, and I had 2 seats for DD1. It came in handy when she had potty accidents, and at night I'd put her in her EFTA RF'ing so she could sleep.

daniele_ut

We've done a 3 day drive every summer for the last 4 years and we've always needed the extra space either for a cello (dh's) or just stuff. My kids have never had a problem riding in the same place for the whole trip. We just break it up a lot and provide a lot of cheap entertainment along the way!

natysr

If I had the space, Yes. Definately. Particularly if they could conceivably ride in two types of seats.

For example. Jordan is 32 pounds now. If I were driving cross country, I would install his frontier and his Marathon rearfacing.

If I think he will want a nap after our lunch stop, I'd put him in the Marathon.

For your DD, you may want to have a booster seat and a harnessed seat for her in your car. She may sit great in a booster around town, but if she is tired, the harnessed seat may be more comfortable for her during parts of the drive.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Dd outgrew the Regent about a year ago, but she does 5 step test in my 3rd row, so maybe I could just bring ds's XT (or the GO) and keep it folded in the back, then if he complains, I can just install it, but not let him know I have it.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I can't imagine not needing the cargo room, but then again I've always travelled with twice as many kids as you! We needed all the extra space we could get for the luggage, snacks, toys, etc. I do think it could be a nice diversion to be able to switch seats, plus it could help with fatigue from sitting in the same position for five days.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
We just use the one seat (no choice for us, too many seats/kids). But, McDonalds indoor playgrounds became our favorite! We hardly ever bought anything, just stopped for 10-20 minutes every 3-4 hours to play. It really helped the kids to have somewhere to expend some energy and then they were okay to get back in and go again.
Another thing that works for us is "presents." Every couple of hours, each of my kids gets to open a present. One time, it's a snack, and the next, it's a small toy (usually from the $1 store). They love opening the present and it helps to keep them busy a little longer. They know we will stop every 2-3 hours for potty breaks and when we get back in, they will soon get another present.

SGTex

We're doing a 2-3 day drive in July and I'm just doing 1 seat per kid. They are each riding in their Regent. I want my back row for storage space though, we're bringing a LOT of stuff with us!

rochelle

I would take 1 seat per child. we have drove 3 - 12 days of road trip every yr in summer and fall. so far no complains.

we stop every 2hrs at fast food restaurants for potty breaks and for DH to stretch his legs. my boys love trying out different fast food restaurants and also Baja Fresh's salsa bar.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC