Tether anchor and tether strap length wonders

LuvBug

I went to the dealership today and they had the parts and instructions to install the tether in my mom's vehicle. It was a kit to use on vehicles between a certain date so it was ok that the van turned out to be a 92 instead of 93.
The problem is that they did not install it because we were unsure if the tether strap would even make it to that point. The instructions have it as on the floor 42" from the bottom of the seat. That is going to need a tether strap that is about 60" long. Is my tether strap even long enough??

What are the rules on tether anchor points. Can anyone help me out?
They want me to bring it back in with the carseat next time so they can make sure it will fit.

ADS

mamato2

Good idea to bring the seat it. I think Britax tethers in general are very long. Not sure about our Husky, the extra is tucked behind the seat, but our Wizard has a strap that goes on forever!! You just might get it to reach. Good Luck!
C.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I went to the dealership today and they had the parts and instructions to install the tether in my mom's vehicle. It was a kit to use on vehicles between a certain date so it was ok that the van turned out to be a 92 instead of 93.
The problem is that they did not install it because we were unsure if the tether strap would even make it to that point. The instructions have it as on the floor 42" from the bottom of the seat. That is going to need a tether strap that is about 60" long. Is my tether strap even long enough??

What are the rules on tether anchor points. Can anyone help me out?
They want me to bring it back in with the carseat next time so they can make sure it will fit.

Your Husky will have plenty. I installed a Marathon in a Explorer with only 2 rows (no 3rd row option) and the tether ancho is on the rear cargo door seal. It made it with extra strap. Now the Evenflo Truimph she had was another subject. We couldn't top tether that seat.

LuvBug

ok I tried the husky in her car with the tether all the way out and it could reach the back door. MAN I didnt realize how long it was!
I have another question though. There is no way the tether can go up and over the seat. The captains chair back is actually a little smaller than the distance between the 2 tether locations on the carseat. Is it ok for the tether to be coming straight from the carseat to the anchor with the captain's chair in between?

ETA: well I guess I was wrong about the husky fitting in her car. I just spent the last hour(with a post break) trying to install the husky in her car. I mean actually install as if to use. And it didnt work. There was just this little bit of something that wouldnt go right no matter what(I tried all the tricks I know). I even tried it in the front seat but the seatbelt there is too short.
Guess it looks like I am back to square one. The husky/regent will not fit in her car so it looks like all I am left with is the laptop. And I am starting to second guess if it fits in her car as well.

Last edited:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
What wasn't fitting about it? Where you using the recline bar? What belt path were you using? I like the long belt path but there have been times I got a better fit using the short belt path. Also not sure if you are aware you can use a locking clip on the Husky if need be.

LuvBug

I tried it with and without the recline bar. I used the long belt path for all tries because I couldnt see how the short path would work. The seatbelt comes from the side of the captains chair on either side and the husky is actually just ever so slightly hanging over the edge of the chair. But the seatbelt is still on the outside of the husky. Is it ok to use the seatbelt through the short path if it is still on the outside of the husky and captains chair?
I did try a locking clip. The seatbelt stalk really needs a couple of twists but it isnt possible to twist it so the buckle was needing to come over the arm of the husky and couldnt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC