Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

car seat for petite daughter

My daughter is 29 lbs and 41 inches at 5 years old. She is in a convertible car seat that converts to a booster that I was hoping to use until she is done being in a car seat. (She's still in 5 point harness and I would like to keep it that way!) She is starting to complain about her back hurting in her car seat. I was wondering if anyone knew of a car seat that might fit her better and be more comfortable. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: car seat for petite daughter

She is petite! My daughter was a little shorter, but even she was heavier at five years old. LOL She was 32 pounds at her five year appointment, and I forget how many inches. 40, I think.

What seat is she in? A convertible goes from rear to forward facing. A combination goes from harness to booster. If she's in a convertible that turns into a booster then it's a 3 in 1, and it's possible her shoulders are over the top usable harness position anyway. It also helps us narrow down what to recommend to know the exact seat she's in. If it's an Evenflo Triumph Advance, for instance, then we don't want to recommend that one to you.

The first thing that comes to mind, though, is the Graco Nautilus. It fits small kids very well, and turns into a very decent booster. It's what my daughter rides in, and she's still harnessed at nearly seven years old and 40 pounds (it has a 65 pound harness limit, not that you'd care, since your daughter will never hit 65 pounds harnessed. Neither will mine). She's probably got another six months tops in the harness before her shoulders go over. Then she's got it as a booster for years to come.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Technician

If it is a 3-in-1 with a bar in back to move the harness or red tabs on the front and the max 5-point weight is 40#, the top harness setting is only for booster mode. And a seat is outgrown in 5-point mode when the shoulders are at the top slots.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Unregistered

She is in an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1. I did notice that the shoulder harness was not at the right height so I adjusted it. She is still complaining though.