Honda Odyssey "Plus One" (2005-2010 Odyssey model years) Successful Installation Thread

CanadianInVA

Re: Honda Odyssey "Plus One" Successful Installation Thread

Wow, what a great thread with tons of information! I have a 2010 Ody and with DD#2 due in March, it's time to figure out how to arrange seats.

I have read this entire thread, but now have a few questions. Stay with me, I'll try to make this as clear as possible :)

-The fact has been stated that there is no place to tether a FF carseat on the plus one.
-With that said, this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9902 that a PP mentioned shows how to tether a RF car seat in the Ody which are not labeled as original tether points.

Look at the thread above in the second section. You will see the OP has shown where to tether a back row center RF seat.

Can that logic be reversed?
Could you not tether to that same spot if you had a FF seat on the plus one?
You are just moving the seat from the back row to the front row and turning it around. Is my logic off here?
Below is copied directly from the thread I mentioned above.

Thanks!!

**Tethering Rear-facing Carseats in the Third Row**​

*Note these instructions and photos illustrate an install with second row captains chairs in outboard positions

There are three acceptable locations to tether rear-facing in the third row of the Odyssey.

--Middle Position--

In these photos you will see under the "Eighth Seat" is a black bar attached to the floor of the vehicle. Slide the extender strap under the bar and thread the D-ring.

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

This photo shows a Britax Marathon correctly installed rear-facing using LATCH, and Tether with D-ring extender strap in the middle third row position.

DSC00043.jpg

ADS

lovinwaves

Could you not tether to that same spot if you had a FF seat on the plus one?
You are just moving the seat from the back row to the front row and turning it around. Is my logic off here?
Below is copied directly from the thread I mentioned above.

Thanks!!

The simple answer is, no, you can't. It's not an approved tethering point for a foward-facing car seat. The forces exerted on a forward-facing seat is much more significant, therefore you need a strong and approved tethering point. It's always important to read the vehicle manual to make sure you are tethering to a correct point. Many times there is what looks like a tethering point in a vehicle, but it's not. Many times it's a cargo hook or something else. As technicians we are taught to "always read the manual." It's not fool proof, but most all tethering points have a picture located on them to show they are a tethering point.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on dd #2 :)

CanadianInVA

Thanks for the fast reply! I have been a good girl and looked at the manual :) I wish the third tether point on the rear bench was not in the door frame, but that's not the point. I see that I had just enough information to be dangerous in this thread :D

You all are so nice and patient with us newbies.

The simple answer is, no, you can't. It's not an approved tethering point for a foward-facing car seat. The forces exerted on a forward-facing seat is much more significant, therefore you need a strong and approved tethering point. It's always important to read the vehicle manual to make sure you are tethering to a correct point. Many times there is what looks like a tethering point in a vehicle, but it's not. Many times it's a cargo hook or something else. As technicians we are taught to "always read the manual." It's not fool proof, but most all tethering points have a picture located on them to show they are a tethering point.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on dd #2 :)

Maeve

Has anyone successfully used a high-back booster in the plus one seat next to a RFing seat (in my case a Boulevard). We have one of the narrowest boosters - a Parkway but it is too wide.

Thanks!

Maeve

Does anyone know if I can get a Radian XTSL in the plus one and a Monterey Booster on either side?

Thanks!
Maeve

TheGirls

I've changed up our seats to keep DD (now 35 lbs) RF longer. So I can now vouch for Snugride - Snugride - Complete Air fitting pretty well. The boys have nearly outgrown the SR's, so I'll be trying some combo of two CA's and one TrueFit soon...

Mayflower537

We are going on a trip tomorrow, and I have a question about using the plus one seat. We will have in the second row one adult and two kids, one in a FF Britax Decathlon, and one in a Sunshine Kids Monterrey. I got the Decathlon installed in the plus one seat, and it's rock solid. The booster is sitting next to it of course, and both seats are kind of wide at the top, so the booster won't sit dead middle in the captain's seat. It has to be off an inch or so to sit straight. Is this acceptable, or does it sound like they aren't puzzling well? I only have two kids, so this puzzling stuff has never really come up. Forgive my ignorance. :eek:

Worst case scenario, one of us grownups will have to squeeze between the two car seats.

Thank you!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Mayflower, how does that affect the belt geometry of the seatbelt on the child in the Monterey?

I would be concerned about leaving the Decathalon untethered. Can you switch it and put the Monterey on the PlusOne, and the Decath on the captain's chair, so that it can be tethered?

ctbcleveland

Does anyone know if I can get a Radian XTSL in the plus one and a Monterey Booster on either side?

Thanks!
Maeve

Maeve - I missed this, but the middle seat of the older odyssey has no tether anchor so it would not be an ideal choice in the middle.

Mayflower537

Mayflower, how does that affect the belt geometry of the seatbelt on the child in the Monterey?

I would be concerned about leaving the Decathalon untethered. Can you switch it and put the Monterey on the PlusOne, and the Decath on the captain's chair, so that it can be tethered?

I can do that. The Monterrey seemed so much wider than the actual plus one seat, which is why I opted for the Decathalon in the middle. But if tethering the Decathlon adds that much more to its installation I can move it to the side. How do I know if the Monterrey is installed safely? Is it basically a matter of belt geometry with booster seats? If I don't like the Monterrey in the middle, I'll just put both seats in the captain's chairs. Thanks!!

awohara04

I'm hoping to put a Graco Nautilus 1-3 (FF) behind the driver's seat and a Britax Boulevard CS (RF) in the plus 1 seat. Does anyone know which order will be best to install them? The latch belt on the Nautilus is tightened from the left side right by the plus 1 seat so I'm concerned it will be difficult with the Blvd installed in the middle. Will I need to install the Nautilus first?

bnsnyde

The 2011 model does have latch and tether, but I am still obsessed about which seat I'll put there once baby is not in bucket seat. I want a good, safe fit.
My thinking is Radian XTSL (and I hope they fix the problems first). I need low profile or I can't get a baby/toddler in the middle.
I don't even care if I have to buy one RF convertible, then another FF one.

I could use all 8 seats with childseats, yes. It would be three Radians in the back (and I hope 3 boosters but I have not tried that yet as we are not at that stage), and any 3 in the middle row on wide mode. Right now we have the Companion and the Advocate CS 70 with side wings next to each other, and the seat behind driver open. And sometimes I have the middle seat open (kids climb over the console to get to the back); again, it's hard to shove a baby into the middle seat and lean over. With 8 seats there would be no access to the third row. But maybe by then one child would be in a booster and it could just go in and out, though I do like Latch.

rxmommy

So a TFP will fit on the Plus One seat RFing? Are there any tricks to getting it in? I HATE installing that seat. I can't get it tight enough. My hubby always has to do it, but he's not going to be home if I want to try this.

To go next to it I have available a Roundabout, Boulevard, Turbobooster or Nautilus. Would prefer if they RA and BV could go outboard. Then my boostered kid would be in the back and we could have more cargo room with the seat folded down.

TIA! Wish someone was close enough to help me! :eek:

oh, and the seats next to the TFP will be FF.

emtb79

Yes I was able to do that first I think. Whaat I did was reclined all my seats in the second row a few clicks. Installed the seat, tightened it down, and then sat the plus one up and checked the fit. It was an acceptable install with a very little movement when I sat the vehicle seat upright it tightened the install a little more.

Stacey

Anyone try a RF Radian behind the driver and a booster in the jump seat? I've got a Monterey or a HB Turbo booster. If you were able to get them in were you able to slide the passenger side to get into the back?

Thanks!

mlohry

Stacey said:
Anyone try a RF Radian behind the driver and a booster in the jump seat? I've got a Monterey or a HB Turbo booster. If you were able to get them in were you able to slide the passenger side to get into the back?

Thanks!

We had a TB on the plus one and a RF Scenera on the passenger side and an Amp on the driver side and we could slide the driver side middle row seat forward. I think you're ok if there isn't an installed seat on the plus one. I don't think you could flip the seat forward with the installed seat on the plus one.

We did a 3 across in the middle row on a regular basis when I did daycare for my infant nieces, 3 seats all installed, but my boys just had to sneak to the back, so I pulled the passenger side front seat all the way forward (no one in that) then the passenger side middle row seat all the way forward, an RA 50 on that, or a MA 70 worked too, or a Scenera then took the arm rest off and my boys could slide thru that space. My middle child does that pretty much all the time, whether the plus one is in or not, to get out for the car line at school.

The only reason I didn't want to do that this weekend when we did the 3 across, was my mom sat in the 3rd row and it's tight to squeeze back there as an adult, but possible.

Stacey

The adult squeezing back there is my issue right now. My almost 15 year old is bigger than me! :)

Thanks for the info!!

acoro

I was able to get a RFing TF/SR35/GN-harnessed ( installed w/ seatbelt)

Surprisingly not very hard to install the SR between the other two. I did uninstall the two outboard to ensure all seats independently tight. Two issues, SR base is < 1" off front of seat cushion & getting carrier snapped into base is a bit of a challenge due to handle hinge and GN cupholder. I will prob swap GN to passenger side before baby comes OR try TF in the middle if DS2 still under 35lbs

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC