At what point should I be weighing DS?

ctbcleveland

So, DS had a dr. appointment on June 1st where he weighed 29 lbs. He's gained about 5 lbs over the last year.

At what point should I start weighing him to see if he's outgrown his 33lb seats? I don't plan to be obsessive about this. Once he gets close, he will be turned. He is in a 2007 MA and RN.

He'll be in shorts and sandals for the next couple of months, so I was thinking around August - but I don't want to be a bad mommy and find him at 35 lbs!

ADS

ravekiss

My DS is 30lbs in light summer clothes without shoes right now and is RF in a 33lb Blvd. I weigh him about 2-3 times a week.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
How old is he? For an older (2.5+) child, I'd probably go with every other week or so /twice per month and just go ahead and turn once he is within a lb or 2. For a younger child, I would probably weigh more frequently so as to eek out all the time RFing possible.

AtTheSouthDam

How often are you near an accurate scale? If your LO is over 2 and you find yourself near and accurate scale maybe twice a month, do it then. I wouldn't be doing it daily, maybe once a week. I wouldn't worry until August though. If he has only gained 5 lbs in the past year anyway. Maybe even september when they start wearing more clothing.

My DD2 was 30 lbs in april, fully dresed with shoes. My scale at home said 27 so I am waiting until her Appt Wed to see what she has gained in three months. If she is over 33#, even by a few ounces I will consider turning her. I would like her to RF as long as possible but I also don't like pushing the seats limits, especially with an inaccurate scale at home. I will be surprised if she has gained much though. The child has only gotten pickier in her eating in the past 6 weeks :(

ctbcleveland

How old is he? For an older (2.5+) child, I'd probably go with every other week or so /twice per month and just go ahead and turn once he is within a lb or 2.

He turned two in May. Based on his growth pattern last year, I feel reasonably confident we will make it to 2.5 RF (which would be November).

How often are you near an accurate scale? If your LO is over 2 and you find yourself near and accurate scale maybe twice a month, do it then. I wouldn't worry until August though.

Our home scale is definitely not accurate and I don't know of another scale, other than at the dr.'s office that I do consider accurate. Once or twice a month is doable - I am not patient enough to do it weekly or even multiple times a week.

Thanks!

kandamom

My almost 2-year-old was 29 lbs at his 15-month check-up and is still rear facing in our 2004 marathon. He is very close to the limit now, so I weigh him often. As a pp suggested, if he were 2.5+, I would have turned him already, being this close. I weigh him at least every other day. If I would have turned him when he first hit 31-32 lbs, he would have been turned somewhere between 19-21 months. Since he is on the young side, I prefer to weigh him frequently. Summer clothes help a lot!

At 29 pounds, I'd probably weigh him every week or two, just to keep an eye on things. Your ds probably has plenty of rf time left.

Best of luck!

Rebecca

Rebecca

rochelle

He turned two in May. Based on his growth pattern last year, I feel reasonably confident we will make it to 2.5 RF (which would be November).

Our home scale is definitely not accurate and I don't know of another scale, other than at the dr.'s office that I do consider accurate.

our home scale is not accurate too. but the increase is accurate. so I actually take the increase and add to my son's last DR appt to get the actual weight.

DS1 has a gradual growth pattern while DS2 grows in spurts. so for DS2, I used to weigh him every week while DS1 was fine with once a month.

ctbcleveland

our home scale is not accurate too. but the increase is accurate. so I actually take the increase and add to my son's last DR appt to get the actual weight.

DS1 has a gradual growth pattern while DS2 grows in spurts. so for DS2, I used to weigh him every week while DS1 was fine with once a month.

Sadly, I don't even trust my home scale for the increases. I can get on the scale four times in a row (on a tile floor) and have a 5 lbs swing - solely based on exactly where my feet are.

rochelle

Sadly, I don't even trust my home scale for the increases. I can get on the scale four times in a row (on a tile floor) and have a 5 lbs swing - solely based on exactly where my feet are.

I tried a few scales at Macys and Sears and they are not very accurate. so I wont suggest you getting a new one.

I used to put my boys on the USPS digital weighing scale :) as we park near the USPS to go to farmers market.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC