Long trip, car seat lending, etc

2BunniesMommy

So, I just got an email from a friend asking if I have a seat with a 35lb rfing limit because they are going on a road trip, 19 hours driving each way.

She says she wants to rf her 3.5 year old because it is safer and she will sleep better. Yea! She is finally listening to me about ERFing. Started telling her about the benefits before our DDs reached their 1st bdays but she still turned her right around. Anyway, that is really here nor there at this point.

Last I knew her DD was 35lbs. So, I am going to tell her I would not feel comfortable to put her in a 35lb limit seat. Even if she might be down to 34 at this time, still wouldn't do it.

Now, here is my dilema. Should I lend her my MyRide? 2 weeks ago, my only question would have been if her DD fits, because she is taller than mine. But, since I am in the process of sending it back, it kind of seems unethical to lend it out. Either towards her, because if I am not confident enough in the seat to be keeping it, why is it ok for her child. But I do feel perfectly safe with DD in it now, I am just worried about how that adjuster strap is going to hold up over time and would rather have it take care of sooner than later. What about ethical towards Graco? Should I be lending out the seat that I need to send back to them? It will take a bit for the label to get to me, so I would not have been sending it back any sooner than if I lend it out and was planning on using it for DD until I do get the label because I am waiting for the new harness for the Frontier before reinstalling it. So, they are not going to get it back any later if I do lend it to her.

She does have a scenera, but says her DD hates that seat and says it is not comfortable. I have to agree with her, I don't think I would want to sit in it for 19 hours each way. Also, back to the fact that I wouldn't be comfortable with her in a 35lb rfing limit seat anyway... Oh yeah, she is in a GN now, so not the best for sleeping.

So, if you made it this far, thanks so much...opinions?

ADS

andre149

Personally, I wouldn't loan out the MR since it's back on it's way to Graco. As much as I'm not a "feel bad for the company" type of person... I think that would go a little too far. Not to mention if something happened to the seat you'd be out the money, I assume.

If their DD is 35lbs I would just tell them that she's to a point where she needs to either be FF or they can go buy a MR if they want to get the extra 5# out of it.

Hopefully something works out!

2BunniesMommy

Personally, I wouldn't loan out the MR since it's back on it's way to Graco. As much as I'm not a "feel bad for the company" type of person... I think that would go a little too far. Not to mention if something happened to the seat you'd be out the money, I assume.

If their DD is 35lbs I would just tell them that she's to a point where she needs to either be FF or they can go buy a MR if they want to get the extra 5# out of it.

Hopefully something works out!

That is pretty much what I was thinking.

rochelle

, I am just worried about how that adjuster strap is going to hold up over time and would rather have it take care of sooner than later.

She does have a scenera, but says her DD hates that seat and says it is not comfortable. Oh yeah, she is in a GN now, so not the best for sleeping.

I wont be comfortable lending out a car seat to a friend/relative for a 19hr each way trip

The scenera also RF to 35lbs so she wont be able to use the scenera for RF-ing for the trip.

we drove from San Jose to LA to San Diego to Las Vegas to San Jose with our boys in FF sceneras. they slept most of the way.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would absolutely lend a seat to a trusted friend but not if it's on its way to be returned. I think telling her that if her daughter is at the limit she needs to either FF or pay for a MR is a good plan.

(My daughter used a RF Scenera as her primary seat for a year or more and never complained. I think some kids are more sensitive-- and some parents project. ;) )

2BunniesMommy

I wont be comfortable lending out a car seat to a friend/relative for a 19hr each way trip

The scenera also RF to 35lbs so she wont be able to use the scenera for RF-ing for the trip.

we drove from San Jose to LA to San Diego to Las Vegas to San Jose with our boys in FF sceneras. they slept most of the way.

I would be comfortable lending a seat to her for a trip, but not comfortable when the seat is waiting to go back to Graco. That just doesn't seem right to me, but wanted to look for other opinions. If for nothing else, so I don't feel as bad when I tell her no because I am the sort of person that when someone asks for a favor, I try my best to do what they would like.

Yes, I told her the Scenera rear facing was no longer and option with her daugher AT the limit.

I would absolutely lend a seat to a trusted friend but not if it's on its way to be returned. I think telling her that if her daughter is at the limit she needs to either FF or pay for a MR is a good plan.

(My daughter used a RF Scenera as her primary seat for a year or more and never complained. I think some kids are more sensitive-- and some parents project. ;) )
Her daughter is pretty sensitive and VERY verbal, and well, how do you say it...kind of runs the house if YKWIM.

Erika Ruth

okay, but why not lend it to her, even if it is on its way back to Graco. The strap is fraying, it isn't frayed to the point of being unsafe? AND, it is going be be destroyed anyway. Why not use it first? If I was the Graco rep, I personally would not have a problem with it. What is the difference between you using it another week or two or someone else?

But, that is just me.

I just got done lending out my Rider Safe Travel vest and my Scenera. Both came back perfect as when they left.

Erika

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC