Question How safe is 3rd row??

mslisasmiles

How safe is the 3rd row in 2000 Odyssey? Van is a 7-seater- 2 cap & bench. I have 14 month triplets and at least 2 of them must be in the 3rd row. The other day, someone came flying up on our rear and swerved off to the side to miss hitting us. Now, I am just terrified. There is such little space behind that seat and all I see are those 3 precious little faces so close to that back bumper. I'm left with the "who do you love the most?" when I put one in the middle seat. Are there stats on this, or am I better off not knowing?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Whatever safety is lost by being in the third row in a rear end crash is more than made up for by being farther away from a front end crash. Front end impacts are usually a lot more severe and common, seeing as how cars are usually going forward:p at high rates of speed.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In addition--you have more space from the rear of your vehicle to the back row than a lot of the smaller minivans and most of the SUVs out there with a 3rd row... As well--being in a vehicle that's higher up and seeing that vehicle front ends are lower down your kids are most likely high above the actual point of impact (low risk of intrusion).. You're no match for a semi-truck, but as far as a collision with your average vehicle goes I think there's a reasonable amount of protection there...As already stated; Especially considering that rear-end collisions are quite a bit more rare than frontals and involve lower speeds.

I wouldn't worry..oh wait, I don't--I drive an Ody with two rear passengers :)

-Nicole.

Wife&MomX3

Just curious, why do at least 2 need to be in the 3rd row? We have an '01 Odyessy, and our 2 RF kids are in the capt chairs. (configured next to each other w/ the gap on the passenger side, not in btwn them).

mslisasmiles

thank you for the reassurance, Nicole and safeinthecar. I knew the Ody was supposed to be safer than most of the other vans, but it is scary having someone just about rear end you. Full vehicle bubble wrap, anyone??? To wife&mom- we have 14 month triplets that I'm trying to keep RF and 2 teenagers- so we're between 5'6" and 6'. Two adults size people just can't fit on 3rd row with a car seat.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
thank you for the reassurance, Nicole and safeinthecar. I knew the Ody was supposed to be safer than most of the other vans, but it is scary having someone just about rear end you. Full vehicle bubble wrap, anyone??? To wife&mom- we have 14 month triplets that I'm trying to keep RF and 2 teenagers- so we're between 5'6" and 6'. Two adults size people just can't fit on 3rd row with a car seat.

If rear enders scare you for passengers in the 3rd row, then side impacts should scare you even more for passengers in an outboard seating position. They are more common and typically more severe than serious rear-enders, and you have even less crush space protecting the passengers.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=37243

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If rear enders scare you for passengers in the 3rd row, then side impacts should scare you even more for passengers in an outboard seating position.

Uh....Darren.....not sure that is going to help make the OP less freaked out;)

OP, as they say in OZ, "just ignore the man behind the curtain", 'kay.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Uh....Darren.....not sure that is going to help make the OP less freaked out;)

OP, as they say in OZ, "just ignore the man behind the curtain", 'kay.

Well, we're all here because we're scared of crashes right?

Fortunately, a properly restrained child is quite safe anywhere in an appropriate rear seating position!

I plead guilty of using lesser scare tactics to lure someone into following a link that explains that the risks aren't so bad.;-)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC