Smallest Convertible out there?

A

Abby2298

I am trying to find the best fit for a 2002 Mustang. Getting a new car is not an option at this point. DD snugride fit well passenger side without the base and my husband had a little bit of leg room.

I tried the Comfortsport and the Scenera. The Comforsport seemed to leave more room thatn the Scenera. I think because it is shorter.

Is there a smaller seat out there? I am not worried about it not lasting forever, I just need to get the best fit for now.

I am thinking about borrowing my sisters safeseat as that will at least get me to 30 lbs. My DD is a chunky monkey and is at 20 lbs at 7 months.

ADS

Shaunam

Convertible seats can be installed more upright once the baby is a little older and usually take up LESS space than an infant seat. Try the seats again, only install them up to 30 degrees upright. They should take up less space than the snugride. The combi cocorro is quite small, if you are still having a problem, and seems to last about as long as the scenera, and way longer than the comfortsport.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At seven months she doesn't need a 45 degree angle, so a lot of seats will fit back there front to back, even the big ones. I think the concern with a Mustang is the bucket seats more than anything.

The Combi Coccoro is a very small convertible, which may work well. I would never recommend the Comfortsport. It's harder to install and has only a 30 pound rear facing limit (30 pounds is a nice minimum, after that you need a 35 pound rear facing seat). Even if you only use something for a couple of years, the Comfortsport may not last that long.

If you can fit an infant seat in there then you can fit a Marathon in there, or a True Fit, or an Evenflo Triumph Advance. At least front to back. I don't know about the buckets, though.

Head to BRU if there's one near you and try out the Marathon, True Fit (if they have it, our local one doesn't), Evenflo Triumph Advance, and Graco My Ride. They'll let you take seats out to your car. Make sure the seats are in the appropriate reclined position, but they can be installed as upright as 35 degrees for the True Fit and 30 degrees for the others. Though at seven months I'd probably stay closer to 35-38 degrees. She doesn't need a 45 degree angle anymore, which should get you a lot more room.

Then if none of those work happily, try out the Britax Roundabout (not the Roundabout 50, though that might work well for you too), the Scenera, the Safety 1st Avenue, and the Coccoro.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions. So I take it the line on the Scenera that you are supposed to get level is to make it 45 degrees right? That is what I was trying to do.

I reinstalled it, but I think I need to get a noodle. The seat belt is pulling the car seat up and it can tip over like those pictures I saw here. So I am using the locking clip instead. When using the locking clip do you not lock the belt at the retractor then?

I think I may find a protractor and measure the angle to make sure it is not too upright now.

Abby

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right, the line is for 45 degrees. You don't need that.

If you use the locking clip don't lock the retractor. Otherwise no point in the locking clip. Make sure the clip is within an inch of the buckle.

Wendy

Mommy0608

I agree with Wendy.

Just wanted to add that if you don't have a noodle, you can use a tightly rolled towel instead. Are you finding that without a noodle/towel, the seat sits TOO upright? A noodle or rolled towel is only to be used to increase the recline angle, not to fill any space in the bucket seat. Just want to make sure that's clear. ;)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Does your Mustang have the deeply scooped, contoured seats in the back? That may make it hard to find a carseat that fits well, too.

U

Unregistered

I agree with Wendy.

Just wanted to add that if you don't have a noodle, you can use a tightly rolled towel instead. Are you finding that without a noodle/towel, the seat sits TOO upright? A noodle or rolled towel is only to be used to increase the recline angle, not to fill any space in the bucket seat. Just want to make sure that's clear. ;)

Yes, the lip on the front of the car seat is kinda of catching in the crease of the back seat so I think a noodle will lift it up. Noodles are easy to find as it is finally summer in Chicago.

Here is a picture of the backseat (same model, not my actualy seat). I find I have to get the seat in the middle of the dipped down area to get it level.

backseat.jpg

concerned4you

My brother in-law has a two door mazda and was able to get a combi cocorro back there when we tried it. We are now ordering one to use for good. We LOVE the seat! Almost all the Britax seats were too big for that car except for the Britax Roundabout. We were able to fit that one in the middle with both seats slightly pushed forward.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC