Questions about the 50lb 3-in-1 seats

Mommy0608

I'm considering getting back-up seats for the kids. I have a few questions about the 50lb 3-in-1 seats.

1. Do ALL of the 50lb models have the same harness and shell heights?
2. What is the shell height?
3. What is the top slot height?

Anything else I should know? I have an older AO (40lb), which I could use for Tyler for a little while. However, it has a very low shell height so I really need 2 back-ups (one for each kid). I know that they don't make good boosters but I don't plan to use it as a booster anyway, so I don't care. All that matters is that it makes a good convertible.

Also, I found this seat at albeebaby. Is it the 50lb model? The description doesn't say. Is there some sort of characteristic that I can use to tell from the picture? (Sorry for double posting, I asked this in the shopping forum earlier today.)

Thanks!

ADS

sirrahn

I'm fairly sure that's the 40 lb seat they used to sell at Target.

I will say that the shell on that seat always looked a little taller to me though I'm not sure about the harness height. I'm not sure how to tell the difference in weight limits without having the actual description though.

Mommy0608

Thanks! I won't get that seat if it's only 40lbs, because it has much lower slots. Thank you for the link to the 50lb seat, I missed that one. That's still a good price. :)

Anyone know the shell height for the 50lb models? I'm curious how it compares to other seats such as the EFTA and TF. I know it's shorter than the TF, but is it comparable to the EFTA?

Mommy0608

Decided to drive back out to BRU this morning. ;)

I tried Jessie in the 50lb 3-in-1 seat. I must say, I was surprisingly impressed! I measured the top slots at 17.5". With the movable headrest piece, it was very difficult to get an accurate shell height, but I think it's about 24-25", which is comparable to the EFTA. :thumbsup: She had a few inches above her head yet. Jessie said she liked it and wanted to take it home. It was on sale for $119, down from $169.

I think this may be a viable option for us for back-up seats. We *might* be getting a new vehicle to replace DH's old Mustang, so we'd now have two vehicles that are car seat friendly. :thumbsup:

These seats aren't recommended much though... I'm guessing it's because they make crummy boosters? Any other reason they aren't often recommended? I know they can be difficult to install, but I had an old AO and never had a problem with it. It seems to be very comparable to the EFTA in shell height, harness height and weight limits.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't know -- I think I'm just used to not liking them! :ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:

I'm still not in love with it, and I wouldn't use it as a booster, but after checking out the 50# seat, I think I'm willing to recommend it as a higher-weight harnessing convertible, especially since I've seen it at Costco and online under $100 (granted, not much at all under $100, but still...).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The hand-eating tiny belt paths are one reason I don't recommend them much. And it's confusing to talk to people about how the base comes off in case it doesn't fit in your car (infant base? can you snap it in? huh?), and for some older kids the narrowness of the harness straps in that top position (kid gets wider, straps don't get farther apart) can be sort of irritating to them. But mostly, the EFTA and RA 50 and MR 65 just feel so much more substantial and have more EPS foam that I like them better :eek:. Oh, and the booster thing. I just know if people buy it, they will eventually use it as a booster, and the spiel gets tiresome saying how it doesn't fit safely :rolleyes:

On the plus side? Now that the harness is so much better, I don't cringe when people buy them :thumbsup: (but we have a heap of old ones, and some Safety 1sts that are 'new' to our store that I don't know how to sell...I just always hope they'll disappear when I'm not there, lol).

Mommy0608

I suppose you're right. There are quite a few reasons not to recommend it to just anyone.

I do like the EFTA better, but it's not a good fit in my vehicle (knobs, plus it bruised Jessie's back). I already had one and replaced it with a True Fit. I wouldn't use the 3-in-1 as a primary seat necessarily, but I think for me, knowing it's quirks, it would be a contender for a spare seat, but ONLY if it's a good price. If I can't find it cheap enough when we decide to buy then I'll probably go with the Avenue.

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC