Question Any techs near Highland/Rialto California?

poohbearkrazy

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot so if not please feel free to move it.

I just got off the phone with my sister who lives in Highland California. She is in desperate need of car seat knowledge. She has my 14 month old 28 pound niece in a 22 pound snugride. She had no clue up until today when I told her that there was such a thing as a weight limit on a seat. I told her that DN still needed to be rear facing but that she should be in a convertible seat. My sister has no clue what that even is :(. I feel so helpless half way across the country from her. She is also a single mom and has no funds for a new seat. The snug ride she is using was found at a hotel her and her boyfriend stayed at when they were homeless :thumbsdown: . If there are any techs near her do you know of anywhere that donates seats? Like maybe a police department or something? I just wish I could hop on a plane and get out there to get it all straightened out for her. I tried to explain to her that my DN was very unsafe riding in that seat but she didn't seem to really understand. She was laughing at the way DN hangs out of the snug ride :(. She also said that her 3 year old is riding in a seat with only the chest clip fastened because the straps aren't long enough to fasten between his legs anymore. All she could tell is that it's a carseat with a long back on it (thinking cosco hbb). Ugh! i'm so frustrated that she doesn't know any better.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There were two cops from Rialto PD in my tech class, so she (or you) could check there to see about services.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's about a 2 hr. drive from me. But if she absolutely can't find a tech, or if they give her bad advice, my husband just lost his job and so I have free time to drive... I'd probably want to meet halfway, if possible.

Consider me your "when all else fails" gal.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I just remembered the cops in my class were from Indio, not Rialto, so that does no good.

There is a tech with the Chino PD. Also Riverside PD has a couple. I think either Riverside PD or the Inland Empire SafeKids has an event coming up in July. I have the info on my other computer and can check tomorrow.

poohbearkrazy

I just remembered the cops in my class were from Indio, not Rialto, so that does no good.

There is a tech with the Chino PD. Also Riverside PD has a couple. I think either Riverside PD or the Inland Empire SafeKids has an event coming up in July. I have the info on my other computer and can check tomorrow.

Ok sounds great! I just talked to her again and asked her if someone could help her get seats could she meet them somewhere and she said she would try.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do you know what kind of car she has? I have an Apex but that will only go so far if she has no headrests.

poohbearkrazy

I'm not sure but I know that it is a Pontiac Transport. Not sure what year model it is.

Though i'm not as concerned about the 3 year old because she only has him every other weekend. She has the baby every day though. She said she was going to go to the swap meet and see what she could find. I asked her to please not get a used seat that she didn't know the history on. It's so hard getting her to understand something that she knows nothing about.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I talked to an instructor with SafeKids Inland Empire. They don't do events during the summer because it's too hot, so nothing coming up soon.

She said Fontana PD has a few techs, and she's pretty sure they take appointments. She also said to check with CHP in San Bernardino. They used to give away Radians, but she's not sure if they do anymore. (I thought I'd heard they had stopped doing that, but not sure.) They probably have something, though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There were 2 techs from the Valley in my class, but not from that side of the Valley, unfortunately.

The CHP does do Radian giveaways (they have a special grant for it) but they usually only do them once a year for each county/area in the state now. I think they already did theirs for the year this year in the Valley (though I'm not 100% positive.)

veggiegirl228

On a side note: the SB CHP is hard to get a hold of, I called them several times leaving messages and never got a returned call. An old neighbor went to the Riverside CHP and had no problems getting a hold of them for inspection of her CS.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC