Would you FF a 3yo?

What would you do?

• Keep her FF and don't worry about it.

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • Turn the seat back RF and see if she cares.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Turn the seat RF and not give her a choice about it.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Clicky box!

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

disbugsmomma

DD wants her seat FF in my car. She is 3 years, 1 month and 30 lbs. She rides FF in all the other cars. I did turn it the other day after installing top tethers, but I'm not sure I want to keep it that way. What would you do?

ADS

BW1426

If she was in a different seat, I might push more to keep her RFing, but the Recaro convertibles are kind of a pain for older RFers. At 3 yo and 30 lbs, I'm fine with a FFing.

celtic1885

Congrats on keeping her RF to 3/30! that is great!
Couple of questions......why FF in some and RF in your car only? Is it the fit of her seats? It's hard to explain to a 3yo why it's different in other cars. Is she a fast grower, will she be reaching 33/35 lbs soon or will it take another year to get there? What is the limits of her seat in your car - 33/35 lbs? Can she say why she wants to face forward?
Ultimately, yes it's safer to be RF. However if it makes you uncomfortable, how distracting it that for you as the driver? Do you have side airbags in your car?

I'm sorry that I can't really give you any answers. None of my children have RF that long, the first two because I didn't know any better and the last because she's 33lbs at 22/24 months.

disbugsmomma

She went FF in all the other cars at 2, not by my choice. IL's refused to keep her RF any longer and if I had turned her seat around there, they would have turned it back, and it probably would have been installed wrong. She went FF in dh's truck around the same time because he had a lot of trouble buckling her in over the top of the seat and dh is a bigger guy and can't climb in the back seat. She's so far been a pretty slow grower, but who knows what could happen in the future. Her recaro is a 35lb seat and the FPSVD is a 33lb seat. I think I might be ok with it, but wanted some other opinions.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's a hard one. Evan started wanting his seat ffing as he closed in on his 4th birthday. I knew he had to go ffing anyways w/ Olivia coming so I told him at 4 he could go ffing. He was 35# right before so we did it at his party. :) We don't really have that problem b/c my kids have someone to talk to rfing, that helps. At 3, she's definitely safer than ffing than a 1yo and a lot of kids can't even make it to 3.

solmama

I turned our ds a few weeks ago. He reached 32ish lbs, so had to ff in the Radian. I decided that he had made it to 3yrs 2mos rear-facing, so he was okay to ff. We do have a 35lb limit seat, but I don't want to be weighing him every week (he's having a growth spurt). But, he also asked to be turned.

Holly

Yes, I'd FF at 3, 3 is my maximum for RF (unless they hated FF and asked to be turned around again and were still within the weight and height limits). My oldest was turned at 3 even though she hadn't hit the weight limit yet.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I flipped my ds at the same age, almost the same size for the same reason. He was begging to sit ff. He would climb into his seat and sit in it backwards (facing the front). So we flipped him. I wanted to make it to 3 and said we would go from there.

emandbri

What is your third seat? You could first try switching the recaro and the fisher price seat (or whatever the third seat is) maybe she just wants more leg room.

canadiangie

DD wants her seat FF in my car. She is 3 years, 1 month and 30 lbs. She rides FF in all the other cars. I did turn it the other day after installing top tethers, but I'm not sure I want to keep it that way. What would you do?

I'd feel pretty okay with it if her seat was in the middle. If it has to stay outboard once it's ff I might hesitate to turn her -- just being honest.

But really, you've done so well keeping her rf this long... it's sort of a tough call for me.. Sorry, not much help. :eek:

disbugsmomma

Well, I stopped at the Chevy dealer yesterday to see if they still had my 3rd tether anchor still (I picked up two of them months ago, but was going to have them install the 3rd one), but they had sent it back. I didn't realize that I ordered them in November! So there are now anchors on both outboard seats, but not in the middle. She wasn't complaining at all about leg room, she just wants to face the front. I actually had her FPSVD FF behind the driver's seat and the Como RF behind the passenger and she would usually choose to ride in her "car-o", but would ask me to turn it around.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC