What should I get

U

Unregistered

Could I get a few recommendations from you guys? My g/f used your website and I think is a member as well so I thought I'd check it out prior to buying. I've got a new baby on the way in about 5 weeks and we're going to use my 1 year old daughter's maxi cosi infant seat for him. So now I need a new one for her. I'd like to keep her RF-ing for another year and either be able to use it as long as possible or pass it down to new baby boy and get her a new one. Any suggestions on what to get?

Thanks

ADS

kaysmom

Hi and welcome!! There are A LOT of great seats that will keep your Daughter rear facing for a good long time! If you can tell us her stats and what your budget is I'm sure you 'll get lots of good suggestions!

U

Unregistered

Sydney is just a year now and is 31 inches long and 21.6lbs. I think that is what you are asking when you ask for her stats. And we have a 2006 Subaru Tribeca. I've got her current car seat on the side now so I'll have to do two side seats and not utilize the middle since it doesn't have it's own latches unless you think it's safter to use the middle and just use a seat belt. Let me know if I'm missing anything. Oh and budget, I'll say for now I don't have one but if you tell me the car seat is 500 bucks I might pipe in with a budget ;)

Thanks
Sarah

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's perfectly safe to install carseats with seatbelts, but seats don't always install well in the center of Subarus. I would look at the new Britax Roundabout50, which is currently $50 off at Amazon -- even though I wrote that the center position in Subarus is tricky, the bases on Britax seats can sometimes do well there. You don't *need* to install in the center, but it would be nice to have that option if you need to.

emandbri

I would put both seats on the sides so you won't have to worry about the 1 year old messing with the baby.

In order of price I like the cosco avenue (but the adjusted sometimes gets buried rear facing) evenflo triumph advanced, graco my ride, true fit (adjuster can be buried in regular version, one with anti rebound bar is supposed to be better) sunshine kids radian, roundabout 50, marathon, and boulvard.

U

Unregistered

Thanks ladies. Sounds like in just looking and chatting with my g/f, one of the biggest things to note is the shoulder to bottom height of some of these seats and looks like the highest they go is 17.5" (Britax Blvd). And then my next question to ask myself is how long would I want to keep her in a seat vs putting her in a booster. Sounds like the Roundabout 50 only goes till about 50lbs but thinking she could almost go until she is 5 in that since she's so far been in the 50% percentile for weight so maybe she'll be on the smaller side as we grow...who knows though. Thanks for all the suggestions, it was very helpful and a learning experience, I think I feel comfy now to purchase something. If anyone has anything else I'd love to hear.

Sarah

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Boulevard is closer to 16.5" than 17.5". The RA50 does seem to go higher, but I haven't measured personally.

Any of the larger Britax seats, the True Fit, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, or the My Ride will be fine for you. I don't know how they work in your car, though I know I've gotten Britaxes in in all positions in Subarus.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC