My class

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
Ok so my class today was ok but I have a few complaints

1 she went over different seats and was saying britax way funky but thats not the complaint she said there to expensive no one has them and that was it! Umm hello I have two!!!

2 she Actually recomended OHS carseats for lazy parents! OMG OK if they are to lazy to buckle a 5 point why would they use that one anybetter not to mention the dangers of it if its used badly... ok rant over

Clarissa

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Sorry, I haven't been able to figure out what OHS stands for. Could someone please tell me?

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
only one company (lovely cosco) still makes it so they are still here! I hate the things they suck!

Clarissa

lovinwaves

Ok Clarissa, you are totally scaring me. As soon as I find a class that comes near me I am taking my CPS Course. After learning so much on this forum I am afraid I am going to know more than the instructor. LOL!!

I would definitely speak up and have some documentation with you when you do. I think that would be awesome!! Let us know!

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
I am affraid to speek up she is a bit scary and the one time i did speek up today, about extended rear facing she said yes I will cover it but it doesnt always apply to real world situations and she was like I would give a Combo seat 40 pound harness/ booster rather than a convertible seat becouse it will last much longer yada yada I was like OMG why bother saying how much safer extended rear facing is then! and another instructer said that the regent was a special needs seat I said umm no its not! and told her why we had one for my son and how he will stay harnessed as long as possible she was like why not just use a booster! EEKKKKKK I may not servive the week I told my hubby I am going to become a teacher!

Clarissa

Simplysomething

I am affraid to speek up she is a bit scary and the one time i did speek up today, about extended rear facing she said yes I will cover it but it doesnt always apply to real world situations and she was like I would give a Combo seat 40 pound harness/ booster rather than a convertible seat becouse it will last much longer yada yada I was like OMG why bother saying how much safer extended rear facing is then! and another instructer said that the regent was a special needs seat I said umm no its not! and told her why we had one for my son and how he will stay harnessed as long as possible she was like why not just use a booster! EEKKKKKK I may not servive the week I told my hubby I am going to become a teacher!

Clarissa

Check out all the stuff the techs on this site---cite. About wanting kids to be safer leaving than they were coming in. Sometimes that means a combo seat for a kid who could still technically be rear-facing. The people who have been techs for a bit seem to realize that in the real world there are comprimises to be made. That they often mention how parents can become defensive over certain information--if they perceive that their parenting choices are being questioned.

But-- IIRC, when Wendy was posting about her class, she mentioned a lot of the same stuff...(Am I misremembering?)...either being blown off when it comes to extended rear-facing... (didn't they have you re-install your dd's seat ff'ing or something?) and extended harnessing and--IIRC...the whole regent special needs thing. Although, her tales from the CPST Course were still also entertaining. lol. (for me)

(this post was brought to you by parentheses)

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I had a similar experience in my class in September. I learned a lot in my class as far as crash dynamics and all that other stuff...but as far as actual car seat stuff..I've learned more here and on other sites. I'm learning more every day.

Splash

only one company (lovely cosco) still makes it so they are still here! I hate the things they suck!

Clarissa

Graco and Evenflo are still cranking them out. At least, they're still on the shelves.
I wish they made a bigger OHS for my boss' wife. She is way too lazy/uncaring to use car seats (her kids, now 4 and 3, have been in boosters or unrestrained for over a year, almost two years actually) and when they were in seats, she would only do the chest clip. At least in an OHS, she might do it up.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Ok Clarissa, you are totally scaring me. As soon as I find a class that comes near me I am taking my CPS Course. After learning so much on this forum I am afraid I am going to know more than the instructor. LOL!!
Okay, Melissa, I totally know what you mean. The class that was recently in my area was $335! And I had a friend that went to a car seat check in that town recently with her 2 yr old 22 lb DD and she said they never said a word to her about extended rear facing and they installed the seat way too loose for her standards! She ended up reinstalling the seat with a locking a clip, and despite all of my extended rear facing knowledge that I've shared with her, she still doesn't want to turn her around. She is pregnant with twins and due in about April, and has said she is considerring keeping them rear facing longer, so maybe I'm getting through a little bit! Anyway, I have a way of 'getting into it' (but at the same time I try to completely avoid conflict in every way!) with people over stuff like this and am worried that I will have a conflict with the instructor (when I eventually do get to take a class) over something like this! Eek! :eek:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Heh, I was a "bothersome" student -- always correcting my instructors, bringing in printouts from safety organization sites online.... By the end everyone else wanted to cheat off me! I really butted heads with at least 1 instructor while another in particular was impressed & 1 just seemed careless the whole way through, though & because of that I let some other major issues just fly -- later on after getting more well rounded info from other techs here & at the CPSPlistserve, I ended up calling my state coordinator who then addressed the issues in a regularly scheduled meeting. She was quite concerned that instructors seem to have the habit of teaching based on experience of oppinion rather than the actual curriculum, leading to new techs passing on incorrect information ... I wouldn't hesitate to at least ask your instructors in front of everyone else where it says to push OHS in the curriculum :rolleyes: :cool: (It doesn't) ;) However, after trying to teach parents to use a nonOHS correctly & they still just refuse to or perhaps physicall are unable to use correctly, then a correctly used OHS might be safer than an incorrectly used nonOHS *SIGH* My personal oppinion is simply that too few techs make the effort to make sure parents understand why the nonOHS is more ideal + WHY/HOW to use it correctly -- same with the "extended" RF issue & keeping preschoolers harnessed instead of "graduating" into boosters as soon as they're 3 yrs. 30# *UGH*

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
Heh, I was a "bothersome" student -- always correcting my instructors, bringing in printouts from safety organization sites online.... By the end everyone else wanted to cheat off me! I really butted heads with at least 1 instructor while another in particular was impressed & 1 just seemed careless the whole way through, though & because of that I let some other major issues just fly -- later on after getting more well rounded info from other techs here & at the CPSPlistserve, I ended up calling my state coordinator who then addressed the issues in a regularly scheduled meeting. She was quite concerned that instructors seem to have the habit of teaching based on experience of oppinion rather than the actual curriculum, leading to new techs passing on incorrect information ... I wouldn't hesitate to at least ask your instructors in front of everyone else where it says to push OHS in the curriculum :rolleyes: :cool: (It doesn't) ;) However, after trying to teach parents to use a nonOHS correctly & they still just refuse to or perhaps physicall are unable to use correctly, then a correctly used OHS might be safer than an incorrectly used nonOHS *SIGH* My personal oppinion is simply that too few techs make the effort to make sure parents understand why the nonOHS is more ideal + WHY/HOW to use it correctly -- same with the "extended" RF issue & keeping preschoolers harnessed instead of "graduating" into boosters as soon as they're 3 yrs. 30# *UGH*

This is me! the one blows me off when I say anything the ther two are like wow your great! I passed all hands on today with flying colors and the one instructor had me helping others! My new goal is to become an instructor

Clarissa

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My new goal is to become an instructor
Me, too, Clarissa -- when I'm able to I so want to go for it: if for no other reason than to say "neener neener neener"
0046.gif
Seriously, I just don't want any more new techs who already start off disinterested getting information that's contrary to safest practice
1060.gif
Everyone's going to form their own oppinions based on experience anyway, but the class should be about the standards of safest practice....

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
Yea MY head teacer has said hardly anything about keeping kids haneesed just that after 40# they move to a booster Im like not my kid, and they are jsut so anti Britax and anything thats not cosco graco or evenflo they have made no metion of other seats with higher slots or anything I am getting mad! ohh well life goes on tomorrow is day three!

Clarissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC