3-year-old rear-facing in a Radian XT

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yesterday, when I was driving her to my house, my three-year-old niece decided she wanted to ride in her brother's seat (a RF Radian XT) instead of in her seat (a Graco Nautilus).

She weighs around 31-32 pounds, so she was fine on weight. She is SUPER-long torsoed (on the second-to-top slots on the Nautilus), so I was a bit concerned that she would be too tall for the Radian XT. NOPE! She fit BEAUTIFULLY!

She has now decided that she wants to ride in the Radian all the time. :love: I told her she could whenever her brother isn't with us, but that he needs his own seat when he is with us. :)

I am posting this as more evidence that there ARE seats on the market that will allow older and long-torsoed kids to ride RF. :D

I need to get some pictures. :)

ADS

xxluckychicxx

Yes I love the XT for ERF. DS is 35lbs, so he is too big to RF, but I have tried him out in DD's RFing. He fit beautifully! He is on the 3rd slots in his Nauti, and right (had to take the memory foam out or he was a tad over) on the 4th slot on his XT.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am actually surprised that DN fit. She has a very long torso!

She was so cute in the seat.

She said, "This is so much more comfy-t-bull than my gray seat." (meaning her Nautilus).

She then said, "I like it more than my black seats. But this seat doesn't have a place for Lightning McQueen!" (Her "black seats" are her Regents and she puts her Lightning McQueen toy in the mesh pockets on her Regents).

Now I feel guilty that I have her FF in my car. I thought she had outgrown almost all RF seats (because of her torso length). I guess at 3, almost 3.5, I should feel okay with her FF, but I do feel a twinge of guilt.:eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nice!! Piper RFed in a regular Radian just after her fifth birthday for about a week. She still had tons of growing room above her head.

Wendy

canadiangie

My 30lb 3y/o who is 39" tall rides RF in an XT. She has about 5" of seat shell above her head. :thumbsup: If I wanted her to she'd probably be able to RF until she's 5 at this rate.

autumnlily

My DD did that too - wanted to ride in her sisters seats and she fits great at nearly 31#.

Yeah for your DN!

My DD had all kinds of fun telling me about the clouds and the cars behind us. It lasted a month :eek: and she begged to "see us" again. I keep the RN base in the van and remember to remove the safe stop when ever she gets the itch to RF... about 1 to 2x a week.

DahliaRW

I REALLY wish they'd get that seat certified to a higher rfing weight. Ds2 had TONS of room over his head still in his radian65, but it almost too tall to rf in the MA. But, he's 31lbs and I have a 33 lb radian. I'd buy another if it went to 40!

lovinwaves

Aww how cute! :love:

Peypey is over 5 years old, and has tons of rear-facing growing room :) She's close to outgrowing it by weight though :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC