One little girl is safer today because of me!

oxeye

I sold one of my Marathons on craigslist and the almost two year old came in a seat that was almost expired, straps way too loose, and installed with a mighty-tite.

I am usually very reserved when it comes to giving unsolicited advice but I just couldn't stand the thought of one of my old seats being used improperly! LOL So I walked the dad through installing it, showed them how to get the baby in properly, and explained why the mighty-tite was a bad idea. They were very receptive!

I didn't get the nerve to suggest ERF - maybe with the next seat I sell. ;) She was tiny and definitely could still RF but decided not to push my luck since she was almost two (closer to 1 year old and I definitely would have).

I feel so happy that the little girl is safer now than she was before they came here. :) Can't wait to take the technician training in August!

ADS

2BunniesMommy

I think that would have been a situation where I would have gotten the nerve to speak up too. I wouldn't be able to watch my seat drive away incorrectly either! I am glad they were receptive and hopefully they will remember what you told them and continue to use it correctly.

DahliaRW

That's awesome!

With things like ERF, if there are other safety issues I'd rather see those addressed and corrected and have a child (over 1) in a properly used FFing seat rather than go too far, push ERF, and have the parents just think I'm crazy and not listen, kwim? Sometimes you just have to choose your battles and prioritize. I'm glad they listened, though.

Mommy0608

That's awesome!

With things like ERF, if there are other safety issues I'd rather see those addressed and corrected and have a child (over 1) in a properly used FFing seat rather than go too far, push ERF, and have the parents just think I'm crazy and not listen, kwim? Sometimes you just have to choose your battles and prioritize. I'm glad they listened, though.

This exactly!

Good for you, that's great! :)

skylinphoto

I have two seats that need to be sold (more than likely on craigslist)..and I just can't stand the thought of them being used incorrectly!!!!!!!!! And I would HAVE to say something..and I don't want to look like I'm crazy! You give me hope. lol.

Great job.

oxeye

That's awesome!

That is exactly what I was thinking. I felt like I should quit while I was ahead with them just ditching the mighty-tite and buckling her correctly than risk them thinking I just nuts by suggesting an almost two year old ride RF.

I hope they've continued to use the seat properly.

luvmy2

That is so great! I also got to help a little girl today.. my friend called me and wanted some car seat advice. Her dd is 7 months, and outgrowing her infant seat.. so she bought a Nautilus! I told her I would return it and buy the new MR65.. she said she will!!
I quickly gave her the car seat rundown (she does know some, her DH is a state trooper) and she totally agreed. :thumbsup:

It really makes you feel good to help people, doesn't it? :D

Shanora

I also helped a friend today. Seen a picture of her almost 3 year old in a booster seat on FB, and debated about saying anything. But I finally did, and its a good thing too, her DS had hit the height limit and didn't know what to do next,as he was still under the 40 pounds. (legally can't sit in a booster seat in Canada). But after a few back and forth messages I found out it was the height thing and told her that he could still be in it until he hit the weight or the tips of the ear over the back of the seat or the harnesses are below his shoulders, and she was so relieved that she could still use the seat. She was also going to, at first until I found out the real issue, go out and buy him a new seat. At least now he'll be harnesses until he's 40 pounds!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC