Booster Training and good boosters?

Laurette

I'll be the first to admit that although I am a tech (haven't gotten my profile changed...) I know nothing about the different brands of booster and which are good in different sitiuations. I do know how a child should sit in one and I know about the 5 step test, but that is where my knowledge ends.

My DS will be 4 in October and I am concidering getting a booster to begin training. I am determined to keep him harnessed in the Nauti until he outgrows it but I would like the option of a booster for him to ride with my mother on occasion. I think he will do well in a booster, especially in "Mammaws" car because it has a Video player and he just watches that for the ride, KWIM.

So is 4 too early to begin occasional rides in a booster? He is 37-38 lbs now so should be close to 40 lbs if not more by then. He is about 42 in currently. He can buckle himself in his seat without twisting everytime and is very good in the car.

What reccomendations for a child his size? I would really like a booster that will be comfortable for him to use until he hits 100lbs or when ever he can sit in a regular seat belt. I like the looks of the Vivo, but is the seat debth too short? Anyone have a measurement?

One other thing worth mentioning, I think I really like the idea of a latching booter as well. My mother has latch in her car but we do not have it in ours. I am hoping that by the time he is full time in a booster we will have a different vehicle that as latch.

Thanks for reading my novel!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For LATCHing boosters, it's pretty much the Monterey, unless you can find a Jane Indy Plus or are willing to buy a Frontier to use as a booster. The Monterey is a really nice booster, but doesn't always fit the smallest booster riders well.

It is a parental decision, but absent an urgent need, I would prefer to start booster training towards the middle of four rather than the very beginning or not-quite-yet-four.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree, barring a need I'd look at booster training later, closer to five. Piper started at 4.5, but that was only because I had knee surgery and couldn't install seats and didn't trust those who would be driving us to install them properly.

Depending on what you're willing to pay I may just get another Nautilus (depending on who you ask it can or cannot be LATCHed in as a booster. Some Graco reps say no, some say go with your manual, and manuals say both depending on when it was printed). That way you have a harness for him, and when it's time to booster train you just take the harness out.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC