What good is the extra 5 lbs?

Wife&MomX3

Unless your child is very short (or at least short torso-ed) and pretty heavy, wut good does the 40lb wt. limit on the My Ride 65 do? It's about an inch shorter than the Marathon, which my DS at not quite 40lbs is already over the top of the shell in. (I tried him out in his sister's new Ashley Marathon, woo hoo for Albee baby!). So am I correct in thinking that unless U have a short chunky toddler, there is no reason to get the MR65 to be able RF longer than some other seats? I know it's obviously cheaper than one of the Britax convertibles, but if cost is an issue, the Scenera is comparable in shell height to the MR65, isnt it? (tho I know from checking out the MR @ BRU that it at least feels a lot nicer then the Scenera). It just seems like this new seat is being marketed and suggested as this awesome new seat for ERF, when U can actually RF longer in other seat already in the market if yer kids R avg. height or tall.

ADS

mommaon112903

The MR (My Ride) fits some children better than the MA (Marathon), and on the other hand some children fit the MA better than the MR. *I* personally think it all has to do with how the MR is shaped, it is reclined more than the MA, so therefore it can fit children longer. There have been many posts with photos/personal experince about older/heavier children who would have been able to RF very close to 40lbs. I am not certain Josef would still fit in the MR just because his torso is 17", so most certainly for him whom has a long torso the MR would not have benefited us. For your "average" torso'd child it looks like the MR is an option however ;)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think that the MyRide will accommodate kids longer than the Scenera.

What good is it? It's great for large toddlers who might otherwise have to be forward-facing before age two. It's not great for average-size and -shape preschoolers trying to stay RF until 4 or 5.

No seat is everything to everybody -- if there was such a seat, we'd all own it. This seat is no exception. It does, however, address a real need, and it's a huge development in CPS and may inspire other manufacturers to test to 40# or higher RFing.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It has opened the door for more seats, with higher RFing limits. A great thing, really.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
What good is it? It's great for large toddlers who might otherwise have to be forward-facing before age two. It's not great for average-size and -shape preschoolers trying to stay RF until 4 or 5.

(Bolding mine)

I think this is exactly what Graco is going for. Let's face it, in the real world (in the U.S.) there really is NO demand for seats that will keep kids RF until age 4 or 5. However, we're seeing more and more heavy toddlers, who will benefit from this seat. I mean, think about it, how often to we tell parents "Oh, it could take her a year to gain those last few pounds?" Well, this seat will mean the difference between having to turn FF at 18 months and being able to stay RF until age 2 (a good goal for most parents) for many, many children. :thumbsup:

That said, the My Ride will help keep many kids RF until age 4 or so, and that's a great thing. :thumbsup: My own DD just outgrew her MA/FPSVD RF by weight but would still have several inches to go height-wise, so I'm considering using a My Ride with her.

Wife&MomX3

I guess my OP wasnt clear enough, sorry. I was looking for any OTHER reason(s) than the ones I myself brought up, and then other ppl repeated.
I didnt realize there was such a large number of kids who were over 35 lbs, but still plenty short enuf to RF.
(I'll edit the title of the OP, in case that was the confusion, but my question has been answered. Thanx everyone)
eta--guess U cant edit titles, oh well :p

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I guess my OP wasnt clear enough, sorry. I was looking for any OTHER reason(s) than the ones I myself brought up, and then other ppl repeated.
I didnt realize there was such a large number of kids who were over 35 lbs, but still plenty short enuf to RF.
(I'll edit the title of the OP, in case that was the confusion, but my question has been answered. Thanx everyone)
eta--guess U cant edit titles, oh well :p

It's not a huge number, but kids are generally shaped differently at 18mo than 4y. Most (most, not all, of course there are exceptions!) kids who are able to get to 40# in the MyRide are young kids. I do support EERF, but if you asked me whether I thought it was a more pressing need in the US right now to accommodate kids under 2 who are too heavy to RF in current seats or kids over 3 who are too tall to RF in current seats, I'd vote to protect the younger kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC