Would you move a RF child closer to the side to fit a FF child center?

Splash

I was playing with seats again today, trying to get the SG Go center in my vehicle- not gonna happen. But wonder of wonders, I was able to get the MA in there! Shocked me. It's off center (but still solid and not tipping), but it makes Sam's seat (combi Coccoro) tip a little bit. So I undid Sam's seat and pulled it just a little more toward the door (~1 inch). It's no longer tipping. I had to install it with belt vs latch and the install is not as great as it was (still completely acceptable, just not rock solid. I'm fine with it, though).

I'd LOVE to be able to have Charlie in the middle, but am I sacrificing Sam's safety to give Charlie more? His seat is still safely installed, he's RF... I just feel like I'm putting him an inch closer than he has to be, in order to get the other child 2 feet away from the door. Is that fair? WWYD?

(FTR- having Charlie in the middle is not solely for the safety aspect. He's also got WAY more legroom and can see out the front window)

ADS

skipspin

I'd do it as long as the installs are good independently. (I'm sure they are since I know how picky you are!)

I've loved having DD in the center since she's been FFing. As much as I want a Frontier iftwon't install in the center even with no other seats in the Jeep, so it's out until we get a new vehicle. By then she'll probably be a booster full time anyway. Just be prepared for him to tell you how to drive and which track # he wants on his CD. DD is memorizing the numbers of her favorite songs...

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I struggle with this also, in various forms. Do you have side airbags? Regardless, I think it's probably fine. One inch isn't a huge deal, and I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Splash

No side airbags, but my seat gets great side ratings even without the airbags. His seat is about 7 inches from the door and then his head another 4ish inches, and he's right behind the B pillar. There's a lot of crumple zone before you get to Sam's head, so I'm thinking that an inch isn't gonna save or kill him. The seats touch each other which bugs the life out of me, though. But Charlie is in the middle, and I like that, and he likes it. It won't last long, he's *there* in the MA. But it's nice for now...

natysr

I think it sounds fine. No only fine, but it sounds like the smartest thing to do. The difference in Sam's safety is minute. So minute I would consider it practically immeasurable. For Charlie, it is significant.

ETA....

Imagine this question from the other way around. Let's say you already had your current set up and have been using it that way for months. Would you come here to ask "Would you move your FF child outboard so that your infant could be 1 inch further away from the door." ?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Exactly. If it made a seat with no EPS/EPP go RIGHT up against a door, I'd be leery. But an inch out, in a seat with EPS... Eh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC