Question About Nautilus in HB Booster Mode

Mylilboyblue

I am a looooong way from using our Nauti's in Booster mode, but I was wondering what kind of HBB these make? They seem better made than the regular Turbo HBB. Are they decent?

We will use the Nauti in DH's car till it expires, but DS isn't in his car that much. For my car, I was thinking of someday either getting a Compass HBB or a Britax HBB and then giving the Nauti to my mom for use in her car as a HBB.

What is the consensus on the Nauti as a HBB?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well, of course it depends on the size and shape of the child, the vehicle seats and shape, the belt geometry, etc, but in general, not great. Better than many combo seats, but not usually anywhere near as good as a dedicated booster. Now, in backless mode, it tends to fit MUCH better....thus causing some people to theorize the booster was designed as the backless, and when the back is added on, which pushes it out away from the seat, the fit changes and becomes worse. The lap belt tends to ride up, but again, not nearly AS badly as on some other seats. And there are some kids it fits nicely. Personally, the turbo is a MUCH better fit on my kid in my car than the nauti woudl ever be. That, plus the "yes, you can" "No you can't" waffling about latching it in booster mode have pretty much sealed the deal that we will not be using ours in booster mode.

Mylilboyblue

Darn!

Here I thought it would be a good HBB. I literally have YEARS before we would use it booster mode. I guess we can ship both off to Grandma's cars as back-ups and then get better HBB for our cars.

DAMMIT!

MissAllyLou

It's definitely different for every child. I use it for a 7 year old, 50 pounder, and it fits her GREAT. I also use it for a 5 1/2 year old, 50 pounder, and it fits him great as well. It doesn't fit my 6 year old cousin well at all, and my 9 year old is too squished in it. So I'd say wait a few years then try it out ;- )

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It fits Piper like it was made for her, and our petite and same shaped neighbor was the same way. Larger kids wouldn't like the seat, there's no shoulder room to be had.

Wendy

Qarin

When I tested the Nautilus with my 46" tall/42lb DD1 with the seatbelt, it fit her quite well, so another vote for "fits petite kids well".

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For my 48"/50# daughter who is slim in the waist and torso and solid in the hips and thighs, it's not terrible but definitely not terrific.

tjham

It fits my petite granddaughter well. I was so worried as I bought it to be harnessed and she just begged to use it as a booster. :eek:

She will be 8 the end of June, 44 lbs, 49" (4' 1")

I guess I really should sell it (pink Mariposa) and get a dedicated booster. She was only harnessed in it for 3 months and my other grandchild is a boy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC