Alpha Omega Harness Height??

ADS

mommaon112903

The top slot is not re-inforced and is for booster mode only..not really sure why they added the top slot though since it can not be used :confused:

I know Josef out-grew his old AO LONG before he was ready for a booster, just can not remeber what the top harness slot was :eek:

The new, IIRC, has approx 17" top slots which will get your average child to proper booster age. It still makes a less than spectacular booster though :(

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
On the old AO, you couldn't use the top headrest position with the harness. It was there only for booster mode (so you could position the belt guides higher.) On the new 50lb harness AOs, you can use all positions with the harness.

HTH! :)

shmancy3

This stinks because my son just turned 3 last week and I noticed the slots were below his shoulders. When I went to move it up this morning I noticed it was on the top slot now. He's nowhere ready for it to be used as a booster. Dang it!!!

scatterbunny

When you hear "top slot cannot be used with harness" the automatic thought is then, "why did they add the top set of slots if they cannot be used with the harness? Slots aren't even necessary for booster mode!"

The confusion stems from the fact that the AO doesn't have multiple sets of harness slots to choose from like most seats. The AO has only one set of slots. The slot height is changed by raising or lowering the headrest. Folks love this because it means never having to re-thread the harness straps.

The headrest has multiple settings (five, I think? It's been a long time since I played with one). The very top headrest setting is only for booster mode, though, to raise the headrest high enough for taller kids using the seat as a booster. This means the top usable harnessed setting is the second-to-top headrest height.

When folks say, "the top slots cannot be used on the AO in harnessed mode" it's definitely a little confusing/misleading, because, again, there is only one set of slots on the AO. It's the headrest that has multiple settings, that will raise or lower the harness height, and the headrest cannot be on the very top setting when used with the harness.

Hope that clears it up a little!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
This stinks because my son just turned 3 last week and I noticed the slots were below his shoulders. When I went to move it up this morning I noticed it was on the top slot now. He's nowhere ready for it to be used as a booster. Dang it!!!

It also makes a lousy booster.

Unfortunately you're finding out what a lot of parents fine out. That "the only seat you'll ever need" isn't. Most kids outgrow it by torso height between 2.5 and 3 years old. Many then go on to use it unsafely, either with the headrest in the top position, or over the 40 pound harness weight limit ("but the box says it goes to 100 pounds!"). It's so commonly misused I have one just to show parents when I do presentations because I usually have at least one parent in each group who is misusing it, or about to be.

The headrest doesn't move the guides on this seat. The guides are fixed to the shell. If they went higher it'd be better as a booster. Not great, but it'd fit kids longer. As it is, though, the lap belt goes too high, which poses a risk of internal injuries and submarining, plus it doesn't actually touch the child, it goes from shell to shell. So the seatbelt doesn't hug kids well. The belt guides are poorly placed and don't get a good fit on many kids, and they don't go high enough for most six year olds, nevermind a 100 pound child.

What's your budget and what car do you drive? We can help you find a new seat that's within your budget. Do you have any other kids in seats?

Wendy

Mommy0608

When you hear "top slot cannot be used with harness" the automatic thought is then, "why did they add the top set of slots if they cannot be used with the harness? Slots aren't even necessary for booster mode!"

The confusion stems from the fact that the AO doesn't have multiple sets of harness slots to choose from like most seats. The AO has only one set of slots. The slot height is changed by raising or lowering the headrest. Folks love this because it means never having to re-thread the harness straps.

The headrest has multiple settings (five, I think? It's been a long time since I played with one). The very top headrest setting is only for booster mode, though, to raise the headrest high enough for taller kids using the seat as a booster. This means the top usable harnessed setting is the second-to-top headrest height.

When folks say, "the top slots cannot be used on the AO in harnessed mode" it's definitely a little confusing/misleading, because, again, there is only one set of slots on the AO. It's the headrest that has multiple settings, that will raise or lower the harness height, and the headrest cannot be on the very top setting when used with the harness.

Hope that clears it up a little!

Well said. :thumbsup:

It also makes a lousy booster.

Unfortunately you're finding out what a lot of parents fine out. That "the only seat you'll ever need" isn't. Most kids outgrow it by torso height between 2.5 and 3 years old. Many then go on to use it unsafely, either with the headrest in the top position, or over the 40 pound harness weight limit ("but the box says it goes to 100 pounds!"). It's so commonly misused I have one just to show parents when I do presentations because I usually have at least one parent in each group who is misusing it, or about to be.

Wendy

I'm one of those unlucky ones too. I bought one for my now 3 year old when she was 6 months old, thinking it would last her forever. :rolleyes: She outgrew it RF at 19 months old by height, and I just tried her in it FF and she only has about 1/2" of torso growth room before she's at the top usable harness position. :thumbsdown:

To the previous poster who has a 3 year old outgrowing the seat, there are some nice options on the market that will keep your child in a harness MUCH longer! The first one I'd recommend is the Graco Nautilus. If you'd like more information or recommendations, please feel free to start your own thread. :)

Shaunam

The new AOEs have a pretty high top slot. When I tried DS in one at babies'r'us, he had probably 2- 2 1/2" to grow in the torso. He only has 1- 1 1/2" left in his EFTA. The AOE will probably get most kids to 50 lbs in harness. I should have taken a pic of him using it as a booster since he meets the requirements to us it as one. I know the fit isn't very good on most kids but never tried it with him.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think my daughter, at 48", could still just barely use the new AOE (although she's probably too heavy if she's had lunch) -- it was hard for me to tell for sure, though, since when I plopped her in it at Costco I left all the infant padding in.

shmancy3

I had a long post typed out and I'm not sure if it will post...let me try again.

My ds is 38" tall and 32 lbs. I had my dh check him in the seat this morning and he said that the slots were still above his shoulders but it was close. I'm wondering if it depends on how he's sitting in the seat because I could swear yesterday his shoulders were above the slots. I'll have to check again when I take my older daughter to the pool to work. Speaking of other kids, I have 2 older girls, 16(almost) and 12. So no, they are not in car seats anymore.

I'm bummed to read about the issues with using it as a booster too....Poop!!! I was holding out hope it could still be used for that...bummer.

I drive a Toyota Sienna and dh drives a 4 Runner. He said that ds has definitely outgrown the car seat in his car tho. He didn't realize they outgrow them like this....he has a Cosco Scenera in his car. augh

While I don't want to spend another small fortune on new carseats I won't compromise my sons safety. We're looking at the Nautilus tho at for my car. Is that the least expensive seat and one that will last for my ds??? Especially if I have to buy 2 seats?

Thanks for all the great info, I appreciate it so much!!!

Nancy
(Jeanna 16, Alexis 12 & Joseph 3)

scatterbunny

Yes, for a child outgrowing the AO and still needing to be harnessed, the Nautilus is your best bet. The Cosco/Safety 1st Apex is another option, it also harnesses up to 65 pounds (like the Nautilus), and is a bit cheaper, usually-but it's not quite as sturdy a seat, it has lower top slots than the Nautilus, and it requires vehicle head support (either seat back or headrest) at least up to the tops of the child's ears. Stockier children might prefer the Apex because it's wider in the seating area, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC