Car seats and feeding tubes

Shaunam

Maybe they were thinking about BARD buttons? They don't have balloons so they require a lot more force to come out. The kind of buttons our kids have, have balloons - I don't think there's any way you could exert enough force to cause internal damage before the balloon would just burst.

Even bard buttons I don't think could cause damage like that. Did your child start with a peg and switch to a button? Because the way they take out the peg is not for the faint-hearted and it STILL doesn't cause any damage...she was just tender for a few days (and it didn't help I accidentally yanked out her button 3 days later either :rolleyes:).

Feeding tubes aren't invasive enough to cause damage from being pushed on, even forcefully (aside from any damage they might have from being hit or whatever, but that has nothing to do with the tube). It's just a tiny balloon or disc on the inside. There's nothing there that can hurt the child.

ADS

serabi

Even bard buttons I don't think could cause damage like that. Did your child start with a peg and switch to a button? Because the way they take out the peg is not for the faint-hearted and it STILL doesn't cause any damage...she was just tender for a few days (and it didn't help I accidentally yanked out her button 3 days later either :rolleyes:).

Feeding tubes aren't invasive enough to cause damage from being pushed on, even forcefully (aside from any damage they might have from being hit or whatever, but that has nothing to do with the tube). It's just a tiny balloon or disc on the inside. There's nothing there that can hurt the child.

yesss. We got the one surgeon at our hospital who absolutely refused to do a straight button placement. I made DH stay in with her. I'm so evil. :eek: It was over in about 5 seconds though. lol. But yeah, that's one of the things I was thinking of when trying to figure out the chest clip recommendation. lol

Shaunam

yesss. We got the one surgeon at our hospital who absolutely refused to do a straight button placement. I made DH stay in with her. I'm so evil. :eek: It was over in about 5 seconds though. lol. But yeah, that's one of the things I was thinking of when trying to figure out the chest clip recommendation. lol

When they changed DD's they wouldn't even let us in the room. :( I HATE the idea of not being with my kid during a painful procedure, but they absolutely refused. It sucks that so much with DD is out of my control.

When my ds first got his g-tube it did interfere with his straps, but that was because our surgeon required us to keep his tubing in a U-shape to help with healing. It is very difficult to keep the tubing in a U-shape in a carseat since the tube will fall under the straps. Once our 4-week period with the long tube was done and we had a button we no longer had this issue. My ds is almost 3 1/2 and still rearfacing and has no trouble with anything pressing on his g-tube. He cannot stand anything pulling on it and has only had his tube accidently pulled out once in 1 1/2 years and that was at the hospital by a nurse. I would never have considered taking his chest clip off since I do not feel that would have made the straps fit better.

OT: Do any of you that have buttons other than the Mic-key have irritation/pain issues or bursting balloons. My ds seems to have irritation/pain around his site that is lessened by the use of gauze and he also seems to burst his balloons pretty frequently even without anything pulling on his button. He does not need a shorter stoma length but the pain often has him doubled over and crying and noone seems to have a solution. He also gets a lot of infections around the site, he has been infection free for 2 months :). Sorry to change the subject I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions.

Last edited:

Shaunam

OT: Do any of you that have buttons other than the Mic-key have irritation/pain issues or bursting balloons. My ds seems to have irritation/pain around his site that is lessened by the use of gauze and he also seems to burst his balloons pretty frequently even without anything pulling on his button. He does not have need a shorter stoma length but the pain often has him doubled over and crying an noone seems to have a solution. He also gets a lot of infections around the site, he has been infection free for 2 months :). Sorry to change the subject I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions.

Hmmm...some kids just have problem stomas. I've had people tell me I take wonderful care of DD's stoma because it looks so good...I don't do anything with it! And sometimes I have people tell me that so and so's kid's stoma was just horrible and obviously they weren't caring for it right...it makes me sad that people think parents are the reason the stoma is a mess. It's not like there's much you CAN do about it, kwim? You might want to ask about a different type of button or tube and if that doesn't fix it, consider having them doing a new one and closing the old one. I know 2 kids that have had that done and it made a world of difference.

serabi

OT: Do any of you that have buttons other than the Mic-key have irritation/pain issues or bursting balloons. My ds seems to have irritation/pain around his site that is lessened by the use of gauze and he also seems to burst his balloons pretty frequently even without anything pulling on his button. He does not need a shorter stoma length but the pain often has him doubled over and crying and noone seems to have a solution. He also gets a lot of infections around the site, he has been infection free for 2 months :). Sorry to change the subject I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions.

We have an AMT Mini One button...our balloons last forever (I just changed one that'd made it 5 1/2 months, IIRC) but she does have granulation tissue/irritation around her stoma a lot. We can't really figure out why...it seems to just be her body, sigh. What brand of button are you using right now? Some kids do better with one brand over another brand.

What brand of button are you using right now? Some kids do better with one brand over another brand.

We are currently using a MicKey and I am not very happy with it but it seems to be all anyone around here is familiar with. I was just curious if maybe we would have fewer issues with a different brand of button.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC