Would you call this fraying, or just fuzzing?

2BunniesMommy

4r88d3.jpg

Also, is this something that I should be seeing on a CS I have only had for 2 weeks.

It is a MR. Has been used 8-10 days of those 2 weeks.

Last edited:
ADS

2BunniesMommy

Wow, sorry, that pic is HUGE! My first time figuring out how to add a pic to my post and I guess I have more to learn!

Anyway, I forgot to say, it is rear facing and I have been pulling the strap straight up to adjust it and there is no other option, can't try to do it straighter out because there is no space. Also, tried just leaving it tight, either got pretty twisted with her trying to wiggle in, or other times it just wouldn't be tight enough when she got in even though it had seemed tight when she was in the time before. I have had a heck of a time getting it tight enough. Have a question about that, about to put it in another post.

2BunniesMommy

So embarrassed. How do I resize it? Can I fix this one? If not I still would like to know for future posts.

I tried posting a pic a month or so ago and I resized that one with something that started with I and ended with view, don't remember the name of the program, but it changed the jpg to bmp and was still too big to even be allowed to post, so I was suprised when this one actually went. So, is there another program that I can resize with? That is the only one I had ever used and used it for years for other sites with out problem, so don't know what the issue was there.

Oh, and for anyone who can stand to look and the insanely large pic, I am still looking for opinions.

Thanks a Ton!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I use tinypic for my photo posting needs. It's really simple. Browse for the pic you want, and under "resize" choose "message board." Then just copy/paste the image code in. :)

It might be fraying but it's hard to tell just 'cause the pic is so big. I'd edit your post, delete that image, and replace with a smaller one. :)

MOM25BOYS

I woudn't be surprised if it is fraying.:eek: If you still your finger under the release lever for the adjuster strap you can feel 2 very sharp corners that the strap is rubbing against everytime you adjust it.:thumbsdown: I am not happy at all with the adjuster on this seat and the fact it may be a potential problem down the road.:(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would report the problem, if it's only 2 weeks old! That is not normal for a 2 week old seat.

2BunniesMommy

I woudn't be surprised if it is fraying.:eek: If you still your finger under the release lever for the adjuster strap you can feel 2 very sharp corners that the strap is rubbing against everytime you adjust it.:thumbsdown: I am not happy at all with the adjuster on this seat and the fact it may be a potential problem down the road.:(

I will feel for those when we leave later.

Is yours fraying too? I know we got them very close to the same time, if not the same day even.

I believe I will be call Monday to see what they say.

MOM25BOYS

I will feel for those when we leave later.

Is yours fraying too? I know we got them very close to the same time, if not the same day even.

I believe I will be call Monday to see what they say.

I have had mine for 1 week now, but I don't travel alot with the boys so mine hasn't shown signs of wear.... yet.:whistle: After having issues with my GN I decided to check mine while I had it uninstalled and in the house. Sure enough it has the same sharp edges that frayed my GN on the MR too.:thumbsdown:

2BunniesMommy

I have had mine for 1 week now, but I don't travel alot with the boys so mine hasn't shown signs of wear.... yet.:whistle: After having issues with my GN I decided to check mine while I had it uninstalled and in the house. Sure enough it has the same sharp edges that frayed my GN on the MR too.:thumbsdown:

Oh yeah, forgot to ask, can I feel these with the seat installed or do I have to reach up from under the seat?

If it is a "can only feel when uninstalled" sort of thing, I sure wish I had known last night when I had it in the living room. I brought it in to see why it was so hard to adjust and that is when I noticed the adjuster was looking ugly.

As much as I am loving having her rear facing again, I feel I am reaching a point where FFing in a seat I trust will be safer than rear facing in a seat that I can't tighten well and that the adjuster strap is fraying. Grrrr!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Mine looked the same way after about the same amount of use. I called Graco about it and they want it back. It's going back in a TrueFit Premiere box.

Susan

2BunniesMommy

Mine looked the same way after about the same amount of use. I called Graco about it and they want it back. It's going back in a TrueFit Premiere box.

Susan

Did you need to send them pictures? I am assuming they are paying for it to travel in that truefit box. And you are getting a check for full purchase price?

Let me know. Need to know what to expect.

Unless of course they have gotten yours back and decided it is not a big deal....

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
They are paying for it to travel. I called and the customer service rep sent me a fed ex shipping label. I can take it to a fed ex shipping center or call fed ex for them to come pick it up. I no longer have the receipt, so I'll be refunded MSRP---149.99. The letter says(and the rep didn't tell me this part) that if a defect is found, I'll get a refund. If there isn't a defect that they'll contact me. Not sure what I'll do then. Maybe I'll call graco on monday to be sure.

Susan

Laurette

I saw that on the MR at BRU. It is on the adjuster strap from velcro on the flap that covers the lever to loosen the straps...

I imagine all of the seats will do this eventually. The cover for the MR really needs to be re-designed IMO.

MOM25BOYS

Oh yeah, forgot to ask, can I feel these with the seat installed or do I have to reach up from under the seat?

If it is a "can only feel when uninstalled" sort of thing, I sure wish I had known last night when I had it in the living room. I brought it in to see why it was so hard to adjust and that is when I noticed the adjuster was looking ugly.

As much as I am loving having her rear facing again, I feel I am reaching a point where FFing in a seat I trust will be safer than rear facing in a seat that I can't tighten well and that the adjuster strap is fraying. Grrrr!

You should be able to feel it installed too. If you feel right under and to the sides of the round metal part to release the tension on the strap you can feel the sharp corners. Even if you follow the outside edge of the adjuster strap itself back to the mechanism you will be able to feel it that way too.;)

2BunniesMommy

They are paying for it to travel. I called and the customer service rep sent me a fed ex shipping label. I can take it to a fed ex shipping center or call fed ex for them to come pick it up. I no longer have the receipt, so I'll be refunded MSRP---149.99. The letter says(and the rep didn't tell me this part) that if a defect is found, I'll get a refund. If there isn't a defect that they'll contact me. Not sure what I'll do then. Maybe I'll call graco on monday to be sure.

Susan

I went and found your post about it before you posted but then had to run off and deal with some stuff. I just have to tell you your new seat is beautiful!!!!!!!!!

You should be able to feel it installed too. If you feel right under and to the sides of the round metal part to release the tension on the strap you can feel the sharp corners. Even if you follow the outside edge of the adjuster strap itself back to the mechanism you will be able to feel it that way too.;)

Yep, felt them! Yikes.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm going to be the oddball out, but I wouldn't consider that fraying, more just fuzzing. My MA strap got a good amount worse than that, but then never worsened to a point where I felt it important to switch out the adjuster strap with the replacement I ordered before my warranty expired.

Maybe do a search on radian straps fraying? You'll see a variety of pictures of different stages of fraying. Some where people say worry and some where people don't. :thumbsup:

2BunniesMommy

I'm going to be the oddball out, but I wouldn't consider that fraying, more just fuzzing. My MA strap got a good amount worse than that, but then never worsened to a point where I felt it important to switch out the adjuster strap with the replacement I ordered before my warranty expired.

Maybe do a search on radian straps fraying? You'll see a variety of pictures of different stages of fraying. Some where people say worry and some where people don't. :thumbsup:

I will do that search now and see what I can find. I think what worries me the most is that this is from 8-10 days use and mostly only in and out 2-4 times each of those. So, I guess more than anything I am concerned about how it is going to hold up, how long until it is a safety issue. Ok, off to find some radian straps...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Exactly. I wouldn't worry a bit if that was after 2 years of use. If it took that long to do it, by the time it was trashed the seat would be done anyway.

But in 2 weeks? I worry that the seat will be pretty young and unsafe to use because of damage if it continues the way it has.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC