Another 'would you ff this kid' thread.

skylinphoto

I need a seat for my dd. She's in a cosco scenera right now but I want something better.
I kinda wanna stick with Recaro (ds has a signo) because I love the quality and dh love love loves it and how do I say no when a man loves a carseat!??! lol.

I'm kinda (not sure at all) thinking about giving dd the signo and buying ds a young sport.
He's 3 yrs 2 mo's old and weighs 28-29lbs.

Is that too little/young to be ffing?

I'm really not sure about this because he could easily be rfing for a while yet.

What do you think?

ADS

sunnymw

I'd leave him RF, or at the very least get another Signo. IIRC, the harness on the YS only goes to 40lbs but the one on the Signo goes to 70??

skylinphoto

I know the YS only goes to 40lbs. But, he doesn't gain weight fast at all and according to growth chart stuffs, he won't hit 40 lbs until closer to 5 1/2 or so. :)

Would you keep him rfing because of his weight? Or his age? I just can't figure out if I'm comfortable with him going ff yet or not.

ETA: This came on because me and dh were talking about how long to harness ds. He won't be 40lbs for a while..and is a mature, very serious kid (think the ring movie. lol..like that little kid haha). I would most likely (things can change) be fine with him in a booster seat at 5ish years old. And dd needs the signo..and will probably need it for a very long time. She's tiny. And she'll rf forever. lol.
I could always buy another Signo and keep ds rfing. i'm not sure what i should do. :)

Last edited:

Splash

I'd flip him and buy a YS before I bought another Signo. He's over 3 years old, the benefits are quickly waning for him. Yes, RF is safer, but by how much? If we're talking an injury risk of 0.004%, and you have a 50% decrease, you go to 0.002%. Fifty percent seems like a lot until you realize what teeny margins you are working with. The numbers, of course, are made up. But they're small.

Top tethered in a great seat with amazing SIP at 3 years old is super safe.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have no issues flipping a 3 year old ff. I flipped mine when he was 3 and complaining a ton that he wanted to be ff. 3 was my goal and we made it.

skylinphoto

Nevermind!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dh just nixed the idea of him ff now.
He said he thought more about it today. Dh says "if he still fits rfing and it's at all safer than ffing ..then he stays rfing". And that's a no brainer. I love my dh. He rocks! lol.
So, decision made. We get another Signo. :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Good, I'm glad you have a supportive DH! I too would keep him RF if he fits and is happy that way. It's not like the benefits of RF'ing suddenly stop at age 3.

emandbri

I'd keep him rear-facing but wouldn't get a signo since there are other seats with more leg room such as the true fit, radian, my ride, and I think even the evenflo triumpth advanced.

momto2princes

I just did the same thing. My DS is the same age/weight 3yrs2mth and just shy of 30lbs in his MA. I just bought and installed a Radian XT to keep him RF a while longer. He gains weight slowly. I would like to get to at least age 4 RF is possible. As much as I LOVED my MA I am already IN-LOVE with the XT! :love:

skylinphoto

zeo2ski, you're right. That had to sound pretty bad, huh? lol. That's what I get for not thinking!!!!
How 'bout this: They'll BOTH rf forever. :) :) :) Since that's the way it should be.

Thanks for bringing that to my attn.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC