Vent and HELP needed! (long)

mom2ari

I just don't understand why people think it is ok to put a 9-10 month old FF! Is it just ignorance? Is it just lazyness? I DON'T GET IT!!!

I have a friend who seems a bit lax on her caring of how her carseat is installed. She has told me several times that her car seat moves a lot when she puts it in. We have had many conversations about how important a good fit is in a car seat and I have offered to help her/ give her pointers on how to get a better fit. When I told her that I took my car seat in to a seat check (even though I have transported kids in my vehicle for three years switching car seats up to 4 times a day, and I feel pretty confident in my installation ability...worked with a tech a lot when I first started) she looked at me like she couldn't understand why I would do this.

Her DS's straps always seem too loose, the chest clip is always too low, she knows it's not in tight enough but chooses to do nothing about it, but today I saw him FF in his grandma's car! I'd be willing to put money on the fact that he is FF in her vehicle also (plus we live in the country to everywhere we go the speed limit is 55, which makes it all the worse).

I'm considering putting out a mailing to mom, and grandma, and probably a few more randoms in the area so it doesn't look like it was me sending the info. I think she think's I'm too extreme on my CR views (as if there is such a thing ;)) What info needs to go in here. I was thinking about putting the law, and apa recs. Also I was going to look up seat checks in our area. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for helping me attempt to keep this LO safe!

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

What kind of seat is her LO in? Is he is a convertible or a bucket? Obviously he is too young to be FF in either, but if he is in a bucket, you can show her it says right no the seat itself that it 'cannot be installed FF.'

Have you tried showing her a youtube video? Or what about the article in Parent's Magazine that came out a couple of months ago?

Unfortunately, if you bombard her with too much information, she isn't going to listen. I have found it helps to say something like 'I used to make x mistake too, until I found out the right way to do it. Carseats can be so difficult to understand!'

Good luck.

mom2ari

they just bought him a new senera. (and plan to buy him another from a rummage sale that is only $5, provided it isn't expired. She thinks they have 8years, so I told her to look for the expiration date on the seat not just the DOM because they all expire at different times)

I am trying to do this in a way that doesn't make me seem like a know it all who is criticizing her parenting, but I'm so worried about him. I don't want to bombard her, but it seems like nothing I try is getting through. She seems to use the mentality of, look what we had to use and we all turned out ok. Where as I say, if we know better we should want to do better!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC