Flying and inexpensive carseat..

2thbrat

I want to buy a carseat thats inexpensive and something i can use to check at the airport. This will just be an extra carseat. I have a britax blvd but dont want to risk the chance of having it ruined...any suggestions????:)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We strongly recommend using a car seat onboard the plane rather than checking it. It provides extra safety for the child, is usually more comfortable for them, plus you don't risk the airline losing or damaging the seat. Even a "backup" seat still needs to be in a usable condition.

Depending on the age, height, and weight of your child, there might be options that are easier for travel than the Boulevard. If you give us that info, we might be able to give you some suggestions.

2thbrat

My daughter is 15 months old,22 pounds and 30" she is pretty little so what would be the least expensive carseat. I am going to carry it on hoping for an extra seat! I should bought one...didnt think!:mad:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
See if you can buy a ticket now. Maybe haggle. If the seat is going empty anyway they may as well sell it to you and guarantee it for $50 rather than nothing.

The Cosco Scenera would work for you. It's narrow, lightweight (nine pounds), has a 35 pound rear facing limit and a tall shell. It's a barebones seat, but at $45 it's often recommended as a travel and spare seat.

Definitely bring it to the gate. That way if you don't get a seat you can try again on the next flight, and it's not going the whole route of the airport with the dreaded baggage handlers. And yes, next time buy a ticket. :)

Wendy

Pixels

The Scenera is pretty popular as a travel seat, and a great budget seat. It can be gotten for anywhere from $35-55, depending on where and sales, etc. Personally, I'd go one step up to the Avenue, which is about $90 (Sears and Kmart only). It adds EPS (bike helmet) foam and has a taller shell that will actually get most kids to around age 4.

DahliaRW

The only thing with the scenera is to bring a pool noodle or towel to use to install in the car on the other end. And practice the install in your car first. It can be a real pain rfing, but its a great lightweight seat for travel.

Splash

I'd absolutely pick the Avenue over Scenera for many reasons. It should fit the bill pretty well for you. Also, did she have an infant seat? Any chance she still fits in that? If it was a 30 pound seat (Graco SafeSeat/SR32, KeyFit30), chances are she probably still fits and that would be the easiest.

jewlsvern

I bought an Avenue to use as our travel seat and I have had no problems installing it. It was a breeze on the airplane and I could even put down the armrest between the carseat and me.

I recently bought a Scenara for my dad to use in his car and I do not like it very much. It is hard to get a tight install and when I finally do it seems I have to tighten it again the next time she uses it (with LATCH). It just doesn't seem to be as strongly made as the Avenue. Way more flimsy than the Avenue. I think the Avenue is worth the little bit extra. However for a seat that is used 1-2 times a month a Scenara is fine.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
The scenera works great for travel. Very lightweight and easy to transport. However, just want to make sure your baby is rf as at her age/size it's required in the Scenera.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Also, do you have a rolling carry-on? You can hook the seat to the bag with a Traveling Toddler. My friend didn't have time to buy one so she used a large washer from Menards. Her son rode in the carseat through the airport. They didn't need a stroller at their destination.

2thbrat

thanks for all the responses!! I ended up purchasing the Scenera at Kmart for $37 but the only problem is we tried to install it in my husbands chevy truck and its not angled right and its very loose? Why would they make something like this? Do we have to use a towel? I thought that wasnt as safe. What do i do? Should i return and buy what? This carseat will be used for our vacation and my husbands truck/babysitter until we get a better carseat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a 15 month old you don't need a 45 degree angle, but a towel or a pool noodle is safe (roll the towel tightly) at the seat bight is an accepted way to change the angle rear facing.

Here's a thread going on with Scenera rear facing advice. You might find it helpful. Remember to check for movement at the beltpath, not at the head. Unlike the Boulevard the head of the seat will move quite a bit because it's not tethered.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=87994

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC