Question Can't get the latch tight enough

mamakaimon

I can't get the latch belt tight enough. We have an alpha omega elite deluxe rf in a 2003 grand am. The seats of the grand am are extremely slanted and we have TWO towels rolled underneath. I can't to the seatbelt install because the belts in the back do not lock. So we have it installed with the UAS. But my husband took it out last night and reinstalled it and is now gone to work. We're supposed to go out this afternoon and I double checked the install (because my husband oftens bunches instead of rolls the towel or twists the belt) but all that is fine. The seat however is not very tight. When I push on it it lifts to the side. And if I wiggle it it moves back and forth quite a bit. It's never been completely stable but it's looser than usual. And I can't tighten it, I don't know what to do. I've been pushing on the seat as I pull. I've tried bracing myself different ways. I can't get the belt to budge. But given how much the seat moves I highly doubt it's as tight as it gets... please help!

ADS

vonfirmath

I have a 2001 grand am, no LATCH. But the seatbelts in my car DO lock. They are not retractor lock (Ie you can't pull them out all the way then have the seatbelt "lock" on you) Instead, they lock when you turn the metal part of the seatbelt down to click into the other end. You can notice it is almost impossible to change the "fit" of the seatbelt at that point. You have to do it with the metal part out flat against the length of the belt.

I have not installed your car seat. But for the two I have installed, I can get a better install outboard than center.

mamakaimon

Hmm. Thanks. I will have to try that. I hope it works! It's a PITA to remove the latch and install with a seatbelt only to have to redo it.

ETA: SWEET! Thank you so much for this! I just tried it (without removing the latch, just to see) and you're right my seatbelt does lock. AND I think it locks tighter than the latch does when my husband tightens it! Can't believe I didn't know this! I'm going to go remove the latch and install it properly now. Thanks a lot!

Pixels

This is why I love lightweight locking latchplates (what you've got). I honestly think they're the easiest way to install a carseat, as long as it doesn't slip.

It's fine to twist the seatbelt, if it's necessary, up to three full twists. Sometimes it's necessary to twist down the female belt stalk to get it lower and out of the way.

mamakaimon

This is why I love lightweight locking latchplates (what you've got). I honestly think they're the easiest way to install a carseat, as long as it doesn't slip.

It's fine to twist the seatbelt, if it's necessary, up to three full twists. Sometimes it's necessary to twist down the female belt stalk to get it lower and out of the way.

Good to know! I'm always giving DH **** when he twists the latch belt.

sparkyd

Good to know! I'm always giving DH **** when he twists the latch belt.

Just to be clear, pixels99 was referring to twisting the stalk of the female end of the seatbelt - where you "click" the seatbelt in -to get it out of the way (if necessary), NOT the LATCH/UAS belt. There shouldn't be any twisting of the belt anywhere if you are using the UAS.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC