Radian XT or First Years True Fit

syd'smom

Radian XT or First Years True Fit - new questions in #6

OK - DD is 2.5yrs old, 27lbs, and about 34". She is currently rear-facing in a radian premiere bought in October 07). She has tons of torso room and harness height to grow, but is of course approaching the weight limit.

We are expecting our 2nd babe at the end of August. We have a graco snugride (22lb limit??) bought in October 06. I don't even want to use the bucket (I have quite the bwing collection that needs some major use ;)), but dh likes the bucket for winter - we'll see.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide which 2nd seat to get for dd. I want to keep her rearfacing - so I believe that my only options are the XT and the TrueFit.
I've been waiting for the truefit to go on sale (to get one for dh's car) and maybe a second one as our next seat. I also have the chance to get a deal on a new xt, but it is still much more than the TF.

HELP! :confused: I have a ford freestar, and our premiere fits fine. My biggest concern is about the rfing adjust of the harness on the TF.

So, do I get the XT, the TF, or use the bucket for the winter and see what comes up next year??? TIA! :)

Last edited:
ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd use the bucket for the winter. Last date from First Years indicated that the True Fit with anti rebound bar would be available beginning of 2010, and that solves the hard to access adjuster problem almost completely.

I also like the bucket seats for winter in Canada just because it is so much easier to put baby in to the seat in the house and layer blankets over top and then a pop-over cover to trap the heat in. The idea of taking a winter coat off and putting it back on every single time baby is going in and out of the car seat just isn't fun with a newborn from my point of view - and it will be nice for you to have baby ready to go so you only have to worry about getting your 2.5yr old in to the carseat. :thumbsup:

syd'smom

Hi Trudy! We probably will use the bucket. We will probably also get a trufit for dh's car, so he can pick up older kiddo from playschool once a week.

But, since I have the chance to get a deal on a brand new XT, I'm wondering if I should just order it now (thank goodness for it's nice 8yr life) ;) - or should I really hold off and wait until after the winter to see what is available then?

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

How long do you have before you need to decide about the XT? Is the special available for very long? Depending on how long it's available, you could always get the TF for your dh's vehicle and see how you like it, then decide whether to just get the XT or to wait. You're familiar with the install and fit of the radian since you're using one rf'ing right now, the only thing worth mentioning about the XT is that the headwings can't be used with newborns and small toddlers - basically they don't fit properly until the child is using the 3rd slots or close to it.

How good a deal are you getting on the XT and do you mind me asking where you're getting it? :cool: (Do I know you outside the forum?)

syd'smom

Re: Radian XT or First Years True Fit - more questions??!!

OK - couple more questions about the TF and the XT.

I checked out the TF at Zellers. When using rfing - do I have to have it in the recline position? One of the warning labels said I did, but my dd is 2.5yo, and I was hoping for a more upright install. Also, the dom was 10/2008 - are there any newer ones floating around or is that the best we're gonna get?

As for the xt - does it get a more upright install than the premiere? And can anyone describe the feel of the mesh fabric?? I like the pink velour for dd, but dh wants something more gender neutral, so we're looking at the red mesh - but not sure how it feels.

TIA :love:

Also, the dom was 10/2008 - are there any newer ones floating around or is that the best we're gonna get?

Can't answer your other questions, but I do know that my Zellers received a new shipment of 3 TrueFits for the current sale. DOMs were all 10 or 11/08. I would have liked something more recent, but at least that was better than the 3/08 on the display model.

canmom

I checked out the TF at Zellers. When using rfing - do I have to have it in the recline position? One of the warning labels said I did, but my dd is 2.5yo, and I was hoping for a more upright install. Also, the dom was 10/2008 - are there any newer ones floating around or is that the best we're gonna get?

As for the xt - does it get a more upright install than the premiere? And can anyone describe the feel of the mesh fabric?? I like the pink velour for dd, but dh wants something more gender neutral, so we're looking at the red mesh - but not sure how it feels.

Hi. You do need to use the recline bar in order to use the seat rfing. It is a fairly easy seat to get more upright though. As for the DOM... that is likely the best your going to do, it isn't unusual for seats to be 6 months old before hitting stores. You can ask the store and see if they would be willing to find a newer one for you. The good news is the TF has a 7 yr expiry.

For the XT.... I only have experience with the XT but have heard from a few that the new boot hasn't made it easier to get more upright. In some cases it can even be more difficult. I have the red one (Rio) that your looking at... it isn't soft but not scratchy like some call it. It is pretty much the same as the Frontier material if you have seen that. I personally would get one of the velour ones... there is Malibu (pink) and Nassau (beige). I find the mesh isn't that durable and mine already has some pulling in it :twocents:.

syd'smom

hmmmmm...good to know about the durability of the mesh. That will make DD and I happy - as we like the pink one! ;)

So, as far as the rfing angle, are the XT and the TF about the same then?

And any thoughts on rfing tether?? I just assumed it was safer; now I'm reading that the jury is still out on that one. I don't have to tether my radians rfing if I don't want to, do I?

I wish we had a store that actually carried both for a good comparison. *sigh*

canmom

I LOVE the pink one too. I plan on getting it for DD :p.

The XT is way more recline (like any Radian) than the TF. Depending on the vehicle the XT can be installed more upright but IMHO the TF will always be easier to get more upright in pretty much any case.

As for tethers... hard to say. It really comes down to personal preference, I always tell people, the best line of defence is being rfing. I don't think tethers make a huge enough difference to get hung up on them. The fact of the matter is most of the seats on our market do not tether rfing (only Britax and Sunshine Kids). Rfing tethers are always optional... tethers for ffing are not optional though. Another thing to consider when attaching a rfing tether is the fact that vehicle manufacturers don't allow it, if you are installing in a newer car (post 2006) you also will likely have advanced airbags. With those airbags there are sensors in the seat rails that detect weight of the front occupant etc and attaching a tether could damage the system. That said, my seats are tethered so it really is a parental decision :thumbsup:.

One thing I like about the XT better for older kids is that because of the low profile design it is much easier to get them in and out. The TF on the other hand has so much happening on the sides that it can be harder to get a bigger child in and out etc.

syd'smom

Awesome info. Thanks for all the detail. Now one more question. I have a friend who would like to skip the bucket all together. She is due in 2 weeks. Is there any problem with her using the xt for a newborn, or should she get a premiere? TIA!

canmom

I'm not entirely sure how the XT will fit a newborn baby. The issues are where the baby's shoulders fall in relation to the bottom slot level and secondly how snug you can get the harness on a small baby. Convertibles, although often rated from 5lbs, often don't fit babies very well. I will search the board and see if anyone has pics of infants in the XT to show you.

ETA: I'm not 100% sure but I think the XT and the premiere are pretty much the same except for the XT going to 35lbs rfing and having the headwings (which can't be used until the child is on the 3rd slots BTW).

snowbird25ca

I just figured I'd add to the conversation that the West End TRU just got a new shipment of the True Fit in and it's DOM is 2009. (March or April, I don't remember which now.)

sparkyd

Just adding a little to the recline and tether questions. I've installed the True Fit RF in 3 different vehicles and been able to get a more upright (toddler) install very easily with the UAS in all three. In the one case where I tried to get a more reclined install, that was difficult.

And to elaborate on what canmom said about tethering, I choose not to do it because there are no dedicated/approved tether anchors for it in the car. Unless I had confirmation from the vehicle manufacturer that a specific spot was safe, I wouldn't do it. You aren't supposed to use anything other than a dedicated tether anchor when tethering FF, so it doesn't make sense to me why it would be OK RF. The car seat manufacturer may say it is fine, but I doubt they've tested it in my car. But that's just me. ;)

ETA: I almost forgot - just so you know, there are actually 7 seats that RF to 35 lbs in Canada now. But only 3 of them FF harness to 65 lbs; the two you are looking at and the new Britax Advocate. The Advocate is $450 though, so I'm thinking you'll want to stick with the two options you are already considering!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC