Question Which 4 seats to use in an 01 Acura MDX

April

The kids are going to Grandma and Grandpa's house ALL WEEKEND! Whooohooo!!!!!:love:

We will be dropping them off and I will be installing seats in Grandma's 01 Acura MDX. Obviously they'll need to use both the second and third row, so I guess two seats in each row. I'm waiting to hear back about whether the fold down part of the second row is 60/40 split or what. So I need to figure out which seats I should bring and they have to work when we get there because its a 3 hour trip by boat and car to get to their house, so I can't come back for different seats.

Kids are:

Faith: 7.5, 60ish pounds, only fits in Parkway or Monterey or backless Turbo

Griffin: 6.5, 60ish pounds, fits in Parkway, Nautilus (harnessed), and Frontier (harnessed) - absolutely no worries about him sitting properly in a booster

Rayn: 4 (next month), 39/40lbs, fits in Radian, True Fit, Nautilus, and Frontier

Riley: 2.75, 39/40 lbs, fits in same seats as Rayn

The seats I have to work with are: backless Turbo (2 actually), Monterey, Parkways (2), Radians (2), True Fit, Frontier, Nautilus, Apex.

Okay, so who fits where in what seats? I am totally unfamiliar with this vehicle and I don't want any surprises!

TIA!

ADS

April

Bump... We're leaving tomorrow morning.

The second row is a 60/40 split. Does anyone know if I can fit two Radians side by side on the 60 part? Also need to know what type of belts and TA locations. I can't find my latch manual anywhere and fear it may be lost. We're in Canada, so need the two FF harnessed kids tethered.

Someone please help! :eek: Thanks.

bubbaray

You might get 3 across in the 2nd row with 2 RNs and maybe a Clek or a PW -- of the boosters you list, the PW should be the narrowest. Then I'd put the 3rd row partially down (the 40 part down) and have one of the older kids climb back there to sit in a booster.

I'm guessing that there will be 2 TTs 2nd row outboard, and possibly UAS there too (I had a 2001 Acura sedan that had UAS and TTs in the outboard positions, so Acura was definitely building cars with UAS in 2001 in Canada). To get 3 across, you might have to use belt installs, though.

If you can do 3 across in the 2nd row, I'd do RN/PW/RN. In the 3rd row, if you go with a booster, it really d/n matter, but I'd probably do PW so that the 2 oldest don't fight over the seat itself, just who "gets" to sit in which row. LOL.

ETA: I dunno if you can fit 2 RNs sbs on the 60 part of the 2nd row. I also don't know if there are 3 TTs in the 2nd row. I wouldn't count on it. I thought the 3rd row was also a split, but now I'm not sure?? If it isn't, then I would put 1 RN and 1 booster in each row. I'd use a LBB in the 2nd row so that's its easy for GM to take out to fold down the seat so the kids can get to the 3rd row....

April

Thanks Melissa. I don't really want to do 3 across, I'd rather do two in each row. I wanted the two Radians side by side in the second row, so it'd be easier for Grandma to buckle. I just found out that daycare "lost" our two backless boosters today, so it looks like I have to bring the Monterey and a Parkway.

Anyone have their latch manual handy to let me know where the TAs are? Anyone have insight on what type of belts it has?

Blondie? Anyone?

bubbaray

You could always brave calling Honda Canada. I think Nicole has a LATCH manual if you can PM her.

I'm still thinking 2 TTs 2nd row outboard. I know a number of people who have/have had MDX's and I'm pretty sure that's the setup.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The LATCH manual indicates the '01 MDX's second row has 3 top tether anchors for the second row center and both second row outboard locations with the tether anchors located on the back of the vehicle seat. The third row has a tether anchor for each outboard position with the anchors located in the rear tailgate sill, and no actual third row center seating position. So there's a top tether anchor for each and every rear seating position. :thumbsup: Not sure about the types of seatbelts in that vehicle's second row center spot, though. You might be able to google up some interior pictures of the '01 MDX to look at the seatbelt.

bubbaray

Cool that it has 3 TTs 2nd row! :thumbsup:

The outboard belts should be ELRs in both rows. Do you remember how I showed you that in my Ody, you have to pull the belt out slowly (unlike my DH's PF, where you had to pull the belt out really fast) to engage it?? That was what my Acura sedan was like too, so I suspect that the MDX belt might be fussy like that.

The center (ELR) belt might be from the ceiling with a 2 part buckle -- you fasten 1 end on one side to create the "lap" portion and then the other side into the buckle as per usual. To disengage that kind of Honda belt, you can use a vehicle or house key or even a penny or dime.

I wish I was at work today -- I could run out and play with a coworkers MDX for you....

GL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC