Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Son with Autism getting out of Frontier

I am so glad I found this forum! Hopefully someone has a solution for my problem.
    My DS will be 6 in a few weeks. He has autism and is developmentally very behind. He doesn't understand danger and therefore reasoning with him about the safety of his seat doesn't work. He is also non-verbal.
    He has been in the Frontier since last October. He figured out how to undo the chest clip as well as unlock the harness buckle a few months ago. (He is very strong!) I took the harness out to see if using it as a booster would keep him happy. But now he just undoes the seat buckle if he wants to. He doesn't always do it - just when he wants something. Quite simply he just doesn't understand why he needs to be buckled (even though his three siblings are!)
    Any suggestion?
    TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Re: Son with Autism getting out of Frontier

I moved your post to the special needs forum.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Well, it's not the easiest solution, but the safest thing for a child who is autistic and continually unbuckles may be an EZ-On vest, one of the ones that zips at the back so he cannot undo it himself.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by UlrikeDG View Post
    I moved your post to the special needs forum.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    Well, it's not the easiest solution, but the safest thing for a child who is autistic and continually unbuckles may be an EZ-On vest, one of the ones that zips at the back so he cannot undo it himself.
    I actually didn't know they had vests like this until I was looking through these boards last night. I will have to look into them. Are there different types and/or brands? Is one better than the other?

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

You could also try putting a piece of the grabby side of an adhesive velcro strip on the release buckle for the car seat. Many kids HATE the feel of the velcro on their fingers enough to leave the buckle alone.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

EZ-on is the only one that makes a rear-opening vest. There's one other company that makes vests, but they are front-closing and if you have a real escapee that probably won't do. You can view EZ-On's catalog and contact information on their website. I've heard their CS reps are very knowledgeable and if you need help with sizing or anything they'll be happy to assist you.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    You could also try putting a piece of the grabby side of an adhesive velcro strip on the release buckle for the car seat. Many kids HATE the feel of the velcro on their fingers enough to leave the buckle alone.
    That's genius!
    DD 14 yo adult seatbelt (in booster till 12 yo!)
    DD 9 yo (RF till 5.5yo in MA!) Parkway, Vivo & Clek Olli
    DS 3/4/10 RF Britax MA & RF Radian XTSL