Toddlers Escaping Straps

mom2kk

On a parenting forum I am on someone posted pics of their DS (24 mos) sleeping in their (moving) vehicle, and the child had both his shoulders/arms outside the safety seat straps, with only the crotch and side straps holding him in, he was on top of the shoulder strap parts that were buckled. It scares me to think they are driving down the road/highway with nothing but that holding him in. I kindly asked her why he was like that, and she says he pushes the plastic top buckle down then pulls his shoulders and arms out. No matter how tight they put them onhim. Then several others chimed in and said their children also that age do the exact same thing. AND they let it go!!! :eek: They all claim to have the belts tight as can be, and the kids can still houdini out of them. So my question is anybody else ever heard of that and how do/did it get handled? It is SUCH a wrong use of the harness and I could see it killing him, she also has him FF at 28 lbs...but thats another story, but with the forces of a wreck, yikes. So what can be done and how do I put it politely w/o peeving a whole bunch of folks off telling them they aren't taking care of their kids safety properly!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's completely possible, highly common, and in fact my daughter did it. And I can tell you her straps WERE as tight as they should have been, her chest clip where it should have been, and she was rear facing, so I'd only have a glimpse of her doing it in the mirror. It's amazingly common. It's completely a discipline issue, and if they don't want to discipline their children in this safety issue then that's up to them. I hope nothing bad happens while they are looking the other way. For the rest of us it depends on the child. Some do better with rewards for not taking their arms out, others do better with punishment if they do. Sometimes promising a child a fun outing and canceling it when they push down the clip works. Sometimes if the child is mature enough showing them crash test footage helps. Or doing a mock crash in the living room and showing them what can happen (surrounding them with pillows so they don't get hurt).

I think most kids do it at some point or another. Probably 75% or so. Kids are so flexible and narrow shouldered that it's completely possible. Scary, huh? The parental reactions are dismal, though. Highly disappointing.

Wendy

sunnymw

Why isn't she fixing it every time he does it and gently but firmly reminding him to NOT do it? I think it crosses over into the realm of a "discipline" issue that needs to be handled :twocents: :duck:

Buckle. Remind child to leave his arms where they are.
Check in mirror. If child removes arms, pull over, fix harness, remind child.
Repeat as necessary.

This is something I'd "nip in the bud" NOW---before it comes time for booster training. She needs to teach him that car safety isn't negotiable and certain things are expected in the car, period. :twocents:

mom2kk

Well glad to see they aren't the only ones with houdinis! I just have to think of a polite but pointed way of telling them to discipline and nip it in the bud right now. So so so unsafe as we know.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My DD2 does the same thing. Several times I have gone to unbuckle her and she has her arms completely out. And I can assure you her straps are tight :) Some kids are just houdinis. What works for us is putting a lightweight hoodie/sweatshirt on her, and zipping it over the straps. I've also tried overalls, and buckling those over the straps, and it works but it's a bit more of a PITA. I have also noticed that different car seats make a big difference--she can get out of her EFTA in seconds, but the TrueFit takes longer, and she hasn't figured out the MA yet.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm guessing they're probably thinking it's not worth the struggle - I doubt these parents would allow their children to play in traffic, for example, but that would be worth the struggle because the risk is more obvious.

I would try to politely point this out and then gently remind them that letting their child ride this way is little better than letting them get out of the carseat entirely. Maybe ask "Wow, if he can manage that, doesn't he just get out completely?" and when they reply that Oh No, they'd never allow the child to get completely out, point out the risks of allowing him to ride that way - severe, possibly fatal head injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. Isn't that why they buckle him in in the first place?

As always, stay as polite. Reiterate as much as necessary that you just know in your heart that they are loving, protective parents trying to do what's best, and your goal is just to provide the information they need to do so. :thumbsup:

marciemp

My son is NOT a toddler, far from it really (he is 3.75 years old, will be 4 September 17th and he does this. It drives me crazy. He has done it 4 times or so. His straps are very tight, chest clip up at his armpits. He is a very skinny boy and can suck his belly way in and push down the chest clip or he un-does it himself and then takes his arms out. The straps are tight enough that I can't get any slack or fingers in. Luckily I have a safety conscious almost 6 year old in the back who is more than willing to tattle on him. He has been reprimanded, and I have pulled over, although it is not always feasible (on a busy or fast moving freeway). Because he is not a toddler he gets that he is NOT to do that and he does it right back up and pulls the chest clip to his armpits when I tell him too. But he will do it again a few days later. He is at a very difficult stage, testing limits, pushing buttons, not listening, and has been for about a month (he was an angel before), but as soon as I get to the end of my rope I know he will be onto the next stage, and one of his sisters will be the one driving me batty!

Anyway, just wanted to say that this can happen with older kids too. Today I showed him some crash test videos of kid dummies not in seat belts and what happens to them, he really watched, totally silent and I told him this is why he needs to keep his seat belt on correctly ALL of the time. I don't think they really understand accidents and bad injuries until they are a lot older.

sparkyd

Couldn't a child sitting with only the crotch buckle holding them in fly right out of the seat in a collision? That's what I would gently mention to those parents.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC