Help me pick 3 (or 4) new seats

marciemp

I have a 5 3/4 year old, and twin 3 3/4 year olds. We recently got into a minor car accident so we are replacing all of their seats. We are also expecting a new baby in December and will need a new infant seat before then, as the ones we used before have had it.

Oldest DD is 42ish pounds, 44ish inches. She was in a Britax Frontier which I hate, horrible fabric, not machine washable, twisty and very deep straps. Twin DD is 35ish pounds, 37ish inches, in a high back comfort booster/childseat and Twin DS is 35ish pounds, 39ish inches and in the same seat.

So we need to replace all of these seats to something that is high weight harness, that will hopefully fit them very well until I feel they can be in boosters (even oldest dd at nearly 6 does not always sit perfectly in her occasionally used booster, so I prefer to harness them for quite some time) I do not care if the seats turn into boosters after as dedicated boosters are not that expensive when the time comes, and price is not really an issue as insurance will cover some and we just want good seats.

I am sure the girls would both like girly seats if possible, so I was looking at the new Radian's, is this a good choice for all 3? Is there something better. The girls can both strap themselves in now with me just doing a check so I would like them to continue to do so.

As far as the baby goes I was looking at the Graco Safeseat 32, but then saw that a new Britax infant seat will be here before the baby is born. I like the idea of keeping a baby in a carrier as long as possible because with 4 kids 6 and under, going to a from school...it just seems like it would be the best, even if we stop using it as a carrier before then due to weight, we would still have the option (always hated that horrible day of having to give up the carrier with the other 3!) What will the new Britax weight limit be? Is the new Radian RF limit 35 pounds or 30?

So to simplify, need 4 new seats, 3 for kids in siggy below, all high weight harness, nice seats, comfy, easy to use and clean...

Need one seat for new baby, infant carrier high weight limit, easy to use.

2005 Chevy Uplander for now, (then ) 4 year old twins in 2nd row, baby and (then) 6 year old in back.

Only one seat (2nd row drivers) has full latch, the rest will be seatbelt and tether installs.

Thanks so much

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Do you know your children's torso heights?

The Radian might be a good choice for your kids, but I would actually consider the Graco Nautilus for each of the three oldest. It has higher harness slots than the Radian, is quite a bit cheaper, and is available in girly covers. :) Plus, it will convert to a booster when your kids outgrow the harness.

If you are planning on getting a convertible, though, so that your baby can inherit it when he/she outgrows the infant seat, then the Radian might be a good choice. :)

I own both a Radian XT and a Nautilus. I love both seats. :love: I have NEVER had a problem with twisty straps in either seat (granted, I have only owned the Radian XT for a few months, but I have had the Nautilus for over a year). I find both seats easy to install, easy to use, and comfy for kids.

There have been some issues with head slump in the Nautilus, but I haven't seen that problem. With four-year-olds and a six-year-old, though, I wouldn't be all that worried about head slumping. :)

The SR32, by the way, seems like a really nice seat. :)

ETA: I just saw that this is in the Canadian forum. I am not sure if the Nautilus is available in Canada or not. Sorry. If it is not, then the Radian might be a good choice for you. :)

In Canada, my understanding is that the Radian and the Radian Premiere RF to 30 pounds and the Radian XT RF to 35 pounds. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you want them to buckle themselves in, the Nautilus might be a better bet than the Radian. The Radian is much harder for most kids to buckle (and unbuckle); my 5 year old can't do it yet, though she can do at least one of her other seats. The Nautilus is reportedly very easy for kids to do up themselves. (The Nautilus is available in Canada, last I checked. :) )

canadiangie

I have a 5 3/4 year old, and twin 3 3/4 year olds. We recently got into a minor car accident so we are replacing all of their seats. We are also expecting a new baby in December and will need a new infant seat before then, as the ones we used before have had it.

Oldest DD is 42ish pounds, 44ish inches. She was in a Britax Frontier which I hate, horrible fabric, not machine washable, twisty and very deep straps. Twin DD is 35ish pounds, 37ish inches, in a high back comfort booster/childseat and Twin DS is 35ish pounds, 39ish inches and in the same seat.

So we need to replace all of these seats to something that is high weight harness, that will hopefully fit them very well until I feel they can be in boosters (even oldest dd at nearly 6 does not always sit perfectly in her occasionally used booster, so I prefer to harness them for quite some time) I do not care if the seats turn into boosters after as dedicated boosters are not that expensive when the time comes, and price is not really an issue as insurance will cover some and we just want good seats.

I am sure the girls would both like girly seats if possible, so I was looking at the new Radian's, is this a good choice for all 3? Is there something better. The girls can both strap themselves in now with me just doing a check so I would like them to continue to do so.

As far as the baby goes I was looking at the Graco Safeseat 32, but then saw that a new Britax infant seat will be here before the baby is born. I like the idea of keeping a baby in a carrier as long as possible because with 4 kids 6 and under, going to a from school...it just seems like it would be the best, even if we stop using it as a carrier before then due to weight, we would still have the option (always hated that horrible day of having to give up the carrier with the other 3!) What will the new Britax weight limit be? Is the new Radian RF limit 35 pounds or 30?

So to simplify, need 4 new seats, 3 for kids in siggy below, all high weight harness, nice seats, comfy, easy to use and clean...

Need one seat for new baby, infant carrier high weight limit, easy to use.

2005 Chevy Uplander for now, (then ) 4 year old twins in 2nd row, baby and (then) 6 year old in back.

Only one seat (2nd row drivers) has full latch, the rest will be seatbelt and tether installs.

Thanks so much

Hi,

Congrats on the expanding family! :)

I think I'd look at getting TrueFits for the twins. You can get one in Monet for your dd, and one in Cappucino for your ds if you want some funkier patterns.

Getting a TrueFit in Monet for your oldest would also be an option... as long as she fits torso wise. (go sit her in one at Zellers).

Other than that, the Radian in Princess is probably your best bet for your oldest dd. We don't have any girly Nautilus' up here, so you'd be stuck with grey.

For your new baby I'd get a SR32. That and a stroller frame to dock it on. I think having a longer lasting infant seat and a basic stroller frame for in/out to the school, etc would be ideal. The SR32 should take you to at least age 1 per Graco.

If you get 3 TF's you could later pass one to the new baby and get your oldest a dedicated booster at that point. Same goes for the Radian. It could be passed down to the baby at some point. You may have to swap seats around in your vehicle (a rf Radian in your 3rd row may not fit). And you may, depending on what gender the baby is and what pattern of seat you buy need to do a swap for a more boyish cover, but that's a wayyyys off for sure -- esp if you get a SR32 to start with.

The Britax Chaperone allows for use from 4-22lbs.

marciemp

I thought the Britax Chaperone was good till 30 pounds? Our little ones were in bucket seats that were to 22 pounds and fit until 13 months or so, but at 30 pounds they would fit till 2ish I think. All of my kids were turned FF as soon as they were over 22 pounds because I thought they had to be and didn't know any better by my twin DD was turned back to RF in an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 I had when she was 2.5 and could have went a few months more but she freaked out and got car sick too much from the change.

My oldest DD really wants a girly seat, pink of any style or design! She already gets some peer pressure (yes at 6!) about the fact that she is still harnessed in because when we car pool or drive other kids for field trips in her kindergarten class they all go backless boosters or seat belt only (the law here is 40 pounds or 6 can just use a seat belt). I actually don't really like it when she rides in her HB Turbo Booster for the trips or if we have an extra kid in the car who needs to be harnessed, but she LOVES it because it is a big kid seat and it is PINK. She actually does sit pretty well most of the time in it, but she does play with her sister or brother so I do not trust it 100% as she gets distracted and forgets. If I remind to sit like a big kid she does, and she will tell her friends that her harnessed seat is safer, so she gets it.

Is my only choice for girly high weight harnessed seats the Radian? I am sure she would fit for a year or more as she is tiny and has only just passed the harness height in the Dorel high back comfort booster/child seat this past year, and was at the 40 pound weight limit about 6-9 months ago months ago. Her weight varies a lot, but she between 42 and 44 pounds now I think, so she is not a big kid. Then we could use it RF for the baby once we decide the Safeseat is too heavy or the baby is past 32 pounds, since the Radian XT RF till 35 pounds, and by then she could do a booster seat full time, she will be 7 or 8 by then.

I also imagine that if DD#1 gets a pretty seat DD#2 will need one too. And why are there no nice seat pattern for little boys? Something blue or orange. I suppose if we did do Radian XT he could have the red.

I also saw the Frontier has some problems fixed, so maybe a PInk Frontier would not be that bad, except the no machine wash cover freaks me out a bit, as I have washed the twins current seat covers at least half a dozen times (potty training twins will do that!) DD's surrent Frontier is so fuzzy, bally where her legs rub I actually used a razor on it the other day (looks much better) My main issues with the Frontier was the twisty bunchy straps, and the cover, so I guess the pink one would still be bad cover wise though, with the fuzz issue, light colour and not machine washable. Too bad because the seat works well.

I tired my oldest in a TF and decided against it last year when we ended up buying the Frontier, can't remember why though.

Anyway any other ideas would be great.

Marcie

canadiangie

I thought the Britax Chaperone was good till 30 pounds? Our little ones were in bucket seats that were to 22 pounds and fit until 13 months or so, but at 30 pounds they would fit till 2ish I think. All of my kids were turned FF as soon as they were over 22 pounds because I thought they had to be and didn't know any better by my twin DD was turned back to RF in an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 I had when she was 2.5 and could have went a few months more but she freaked out and got car sick too much from the change.

My oldest DD really wants a girly seat, pink of any style or design! She already gets some peer pressure (yes at 6!) about the fact that she is still harnessed in because when we car pool or drive other kids for field trips in her kindergarten class they all go backless boosters or seat belt only (the law here is 40 pounds or 6 can just use a seat belt). I actually don't really like it when she rides in her HB Turbo Booster for the trips or if we have an extra kid in the car who needs to be harnessed, but she LOVES it because it is a big kid seat and it is PINK. She actually does sit pretty well most of the time in it, but she does play with her sister or brother so I do not trust it 100% as she gets distracted and forgets. If I remind to sit like a big kid she does, and she will tell her friends that her harnessed seat is safer, so she gets it.

Is my only choice for girly high weight harnessed seats the Radian? I am sure she would fit for a year or more as she is tiny and has only just passed the harness height in the Dorel high back comfort booster/child seat this past year, and was at the 40 pound weight limit about 6-9 months ago months ago. Her weight varies a lot, but she between 42 and 44 pounds now I think, so she is not a big kid. Then we could use it RF for the baby once we decide the Safeseat is too heavy or the baby is past 32 pounds, since the Radian XT RF till 35 pounds, and by then she could do a booster seat full time, she will be 7 or 8 by then.

I also imagine that if DD#1 gets a pretty seat DD#2 will need one too. And why are there no nice seat pattern for little boys? Something blue or orange. I suppose if we did do Radian XT he could have the red.

I also saw the Frontier has some problems fixed, so maybe a PInk Frontier would not be that bad, except the no machine wash cover freaks me out a bit, as I have washed the twins current seat covers at least half a dozen times (potty training twins will do that!) DD's surrent Frontier is so fuzzy, bally where her legs rub I actually used a razor on it the other day (looks much better) My main issues with the Frontier was the twisty bunchy straps, and the cover, so I guess the pink one would still be bad cover wise though, with the fuzz issue, light colour and not machine washable. Too bad because the seat works well.

I tired my oldest in a TF and decided against it last year when we ended up buying the Frontier, can't remember why though.

Anyway any other ideas would be great.

Marcie

Why is my brain telling me you're in Calgary? :confused: For some reason I think you are. If so, we could always meet up somewhere and play with seats. :p

Anyway, the Chaperone is only rated to 22lbs in Canada. Why that is, no one knows, but that's the way it is.

The SR32 is probably a much better choice for you. Your baby can use it until he/she has 1" of seat shell above their head, OR he/she reaches 32lbs, whichever comes first. Most babies make it to about 18mos in a SS1/SR32 (the SS1 preceeded the SR32, but are the same-ish seat). If you can get a SS1 on clearance it's worth snagging. Very few, if any, babies make it to 30lbs in a SS1 let alone 32lbs in a SR32.

Getting a RadianXT in Malibu for dd1 would certainly fit the girly requirement. If she has a 16" torso like it sounds, she'd have about 2yrs to go until reaching the 18" top harness slots.

And if you ended up getting XT's for the twins, that would be fine too. The red cover (Rio) is mesh though, and so it pills/balls up similar to the mesh cover on the Frontier. It is however washable, so that's a bonus. You might want to lean towards Nassau as it's plush and not mesh.

Ending up with 3 RNXT's isn't a bad idea at all. For me though it would come down to cost... and you're looking at close to $1000 for 3 RNXT's. (they are $330 each). The reason I suggested the TrueFit for the twins is they are $200 each... so a significant difference for a seat with the same harnessing limit (65lbs) and the same top harness slots (18") as the RNXT.

Totally up to you, but it sounds like you can't go wrong. You're choosing between some great seats. :thumbsup: Good luck!

Pixels

If you want them to buckle themselves in, the Nautilus might be a better bet than the Radian. The Radian is much harder for most kids to buckle (and unbuckle); my 5 year old can't do it yet, though she can do at least one of her other seats. The Nautilus is reportedly very easy for kids to do up themselves. (The Nautilus is available in Canada, last I checked. :) )

I dunno about unbuckling, but DNe was buckling himself in DD's Radian last week. These were the first times he was riding in it, and he's 19 months old. I think almost 6 and almost 4 year olds should be able to buckle it.

marciemp

Thanks for the help everyone. The insurance company will be footing part of the bill so i am not too worried about that. They should do full price fro the Frontier ($329) and then the 2 other seats I am thinking maybe $160-$170 each.

The problem with the Frontier cover wasn't so much Balls or pilling but it actually became furry, like really really furry! It literally had almost one inch furry stuff coming off the cover all the way across from about the top of her calfs to just above her knees, so like 4-5 inches and all the way across. A few balls or lint wouldn't bug me, but I actually had to give the seat a haircut it was so gross looking with a razor and sissors. I was going to deal with it with Britax Warranty but then we got into the accident.

Would the red Radian be that bad? Just seems like something was actually wrong with the frontier fabric. If the Rec Radian got furry too it would bug me, but not just some pills.

I really wish the Graco Nautilus came in a girly cover here. Has anyone ever ordered replacement girl covers for them from the US? I like the way the Nautilus works, and the cup holders would be great as we like to go thru drive thrus and eat in the parking lot a lot! (Twins are still a bit of handful at times!)

Maybe I will have to try out the True fit with the twins.

Why oh why aren't there any cool, nice colourful covers for boys in ANY seats?! I feel bad getting the girls fancy-shmansy seats and him GREY or TAN though. Would sewing a Lightning McQueen patch on the head area be a safety issue? He might like that!
Marcie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC